Trivia: What is the first reversible, mid-motor 1/10 scale off road 2wd RC buggy "race" kit?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Trivia: What is the first reversible, mid-motor 1/10 scale off road 2wd RC buggy "race" kit?

Post by TokyoProf »

Testing the RC knowledge of the community here.

Trivia #1: What is the first reversible, mid-motor 2WD 1/10 scale off-road RC buggy "race" kit?
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Trivia: What is the first reversible, mid-motor 1/10 scale off road 2wd RC buggy "race" kit?

Post by Dadio »

Possibly the AKK Sidewinder ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Re: Trivia: What is the first reversible, mid-motor 1/10 scale off road 2wd RC buggy "race" kit?

Post by GoMachV »

Meant to be ran either way? I’m going with the Pro-110
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:19 pm Meant to be ran either way? I’m going with the Pro-110
Ok not the Sidewinder then :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

It’s kinda open ended so I wasn’t sure what he was going for. I mean, you could easily flip the 6 gear trans but there was cutting and modifications to do also. The mrp was I believe marketed as flippable and should be ‘85-‘86 era
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Bolink Digger 10 is my guess.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:29 pm It’s kinda open ended so I wasn’t sure what he was going for. I mean, you could easily flip the 6 gear trans but there was cutting and modifications to do also. The mrp was I believe marketed as flippable and should be ‘85-‘86 era
Congratulations that was fast! GoMachV gets the trivia award for the correct answer! Yes, the MRP 110 circa late 1985-56 was the first off-road race buggy with mid-motor assembly possible during assembly (without modifications). It was designed to compete with the much-heralded RC10 of the time. I think it was the only US manufacturer that produced a competitive 2WD race buggy at the time.

I found the only hobby-grade kit for a crafts store going out of business in Alameda CA more than 35 years ago. I was in grade school and building it according to the manual as a mid-motor mounted buggy. I remember thinking this was better suited for protecting the motor from being scratched up. My assembled but incomplete kit (mom threw out the box with body and upper chassis brace) unfortunately. The transmission is perfectly symmetrical.
Attachments
B1770C2E-0C98-4DC4-B700-7327160B8F35.jpeg
99290FE6-4789-43CE-BE46-090F0C1CDD75.jpeg
5C7D1F3F-6549-4056-B67E-18BCA2449179.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

TokyoProf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:49 pm
GoMachV wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:29 pm It’s kinda open ended so I wasn’t sure what he was going for. I mean, you could easily flip the 6 gear trans but there was cutting and modifications to do also. The mrp was I believe marketed as flippable and should be ‘85-‘86 era
Congratulations that was fast! GoMachV gets the trivia award for the correct answer! Yes, the MRP Pro-110 circa late 1985-56 was the first off-road race buggy with mid-motor assembly possible during assembly (without modifications). It was designed to compete with the much-heralded RC10 of the time. I think it was the only US manufacturer that produced a competitive 2WD race buggy at the time.

I found the only hobby-grade kit for a crafts store going out of business in Alameda CA more than 35 years ago. I was in grade school and building it according to the manual as a mid-motor mounted buggy. I remember thinking this was better suited for protecting the motor from being scratched up. I will post some pictures of assembled but incomplete kit (mom threw out the box with body and upper chassis brace) unfortunately.