Airbrush paint help

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Airbrush paint help

Post by rwordenjr »

Recently started airbrushing and using proline… it scratches off inside very easy. I’ve noticed others have had similar experience even after backing the paint in a Rustoleum or krylon clear. Anyone else using a brand different than proline and had better luck?

radioactivity

Re: Airbrush paint help

Post by radioactivity »

Hi rwordenjr

I have only used acrylic water based paints for some time. Proline seems as good as any.
I don't think acrylics adhere quite as well as solvent based lexan paints.
The acrylics are way more forgiving if a mistake is made. Before a complete cure, alcohol and a clean rag, cotton ball , etc will remove 99% of the paint.
That being said there are a couple steps I take when shooting water based paints.

1. Clean the surfaces to be painted very well with simple green or similar detergent.
2. I use a very fine sand paper ( 2000 or 3000) usually 3M Trizact on the surfaces to be painted. Just not any windows or clear areas.
3. Try not to reduce the paint.
4. I like to shoot when it's neither too hot outside or low humidity. My ideal day - 65degrees and 60+% humidity.
5. First coat is shot fairly light. At a distance so that the paint would not go on dry.
6. Second coat within 10 min of first coat and is shot wet. I feel this helps the bond. Any additional coats go on wet.
7. Let it completely dry/cure. It can take 48 hours or more depending on temp and humidity.

My 2cents

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

radioactivity wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:42 pm Hi rwordenjr

I have only used acrylic water based paints for some time. Proline seems as good as any.
I don't think acrylics adhere quite as well as solvent based lexan paints.
The acrylics are way more forgiving if a mistake is made. Before a complete cure, alcohol and a clean rag, cotton ball , etc will remove 99% of the paint.
That being said there are a couple steps I take when shooting water based paints.

1. Clean the surfaces to be painted very well with simple green or similar detergent.
2. I use a very fine sand paper ( 2000 or 3000) usually 3M Trizact on the surfaces to be painted. Just not any windows or clear areas.
3. Try not to reduce the paint.
4. I like to shoot when it's neither too hot outside or low humidity. My ideal day - 65degrees and 60+% humidity.
5. First coat is shot fairly light. At a distance so that the paint would not go on dry.
6. Second coat within 10 min of first coat and is shot wet. I feel this helps the bond. Any additional coats go on wet.
7. Let it completely dry/cure. It can take 48 hours or more depending on temp and humidity.

My 2cents

Chuck
Thanks. Have you had the paint still scratch off inside pretty easy ?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Acrylic paints are quite soft when dry and easily scratched as a whole , the only solution is to put a final coat of a more durable paint on to back it .
I'm moving over to Acetone based paints but you really need to use a fume extraction paint booth to deal with the fumes , with acrylics you can get away with just a mask .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

Dadio wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 am Acrylic paints are quite soft when dry and easily scratched as a whole , the only solution is to put a final coat of a more durable paint on to back it .
I'm moving over to Acetone based paints but you really need to use a fume extraction paint booth to deal with the fumes , with acrylics you can get away with just a mask .
Which brand would acetone paints be ?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

rwordenjr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 am
Dadio wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:10 am Acrylic paints are quite soft when dry and easily scratched as a whole , the only solution is to put a final coat of a more durable paint on to back it .
Which brand would acetone paints be ?
Alclad 2 and HR Hobbies are two I'm playing with right now , I'm still fairly new to Acetone paints , AK are another I have some of their primer .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.