5%
radioactivity
16%

Total votes: 61

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Re: ** Build of the Month Contest - May 2023 ** - Winner - morrisey0

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Turk Logan's rival for the win. Great build and great movie!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I am digging both the Tekin RC10 (which I only heard about such a thing existing two weeks ago!), and the scaler EB. Both top notch! :mrgreen:
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

morrisey0 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:30 pm I am digging both the Tekin RC10 (which I only heard about such a thing existing two weeks ago!), and the scaler EB. Both top notch! :mrgreen:
Not my Avante??? 😪

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The dumpster story confuses me. Is this THE car that the other kid originally had, or is this another Avante that has been built and painted to look similar?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:49 pm The dumpster story confuses me. Is this THE car that the other kid originally had, or is this another Avante that has been built and painted to look similar?
Another one painted to look similiar.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Lobo's Bronco does it for me this month. It looks spectacular, and having built scale looking custom trucks myself I can tell there's a ton of work and hours into that build, so that got my vote. Very nice job by all this month.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

TheDiamondOne wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:07 pm Not my Avante??? 😪
I will start with, the Avante looks flawless! I don't know if they came with Technigolds originally, but I do know how sought after they are, so that in itself is awesome! The rest of the car is stunning! :wink:

I look at BOTMs, and I don't think I am alone here, as "what is my gut reaction to that vehicle?" And you see this throughout all of the BOTM threads. "I went with XXXX because that was my first car, and I wish I never got rid of it!" "That XXX reminds me of my neighbors when I was young and I so wanted that car!" "I won my first race with a XXXX, so that one is getting my vote!" "I always wanted a XXXX, but never had the opportunity, so I am going to vote for that." "I like trucks so I voted for the truck." Etc, etc.....

I don't think BOTM is actually about the "builds" for the most part, although that is in the title. Some BOTM winners were cars that were great to begin with, and just got cleaned up some .......... while non-winners had months of work, and loads of $$$$, put into them. The non-winners were often better "builds," they just didn't get the gut reaction that another vehicle got. I plan to enter my Viper EX-10 in the future, and that car is just a nice refresh of a great, simple pan car ...... but man, does that thing speak to me when I see it!!!! If I could BOTM in my little hobby room, that car would probably win, but it is definitely not the vehicle I put the most effort into by a long shot.

I have entered BOTM twice previously, and ended up 2nd both times. There were definitely better "builds" that placed below me in both of those months. IMO, my builds aren't great, or technical, or have months of planning, but I do tend to build what catches my attention, and I think they catch the attention of others. I could build a 100% technically perfect car, but if it doesn't make me smile when I see it, that was a big waste of my resources!

Okay, well that got deep! To wrap it up, love the Avante, love all the entries!!! Just a couple got my gut reaction more than the rest. All love.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:27 pm
TheDiamondOne wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:07 pm Not my Avante??? 😪
I will start with, the Avante looks flawless! I don't know if they came with Technigolds originally, but I do know how sought after they are, so that in itself is awesome! The rest of the car is stunning! :wink:

I look at BOTMs, and I don't think I am alone here, as "what is my gut reaction to that vehicle?" And you see this throughout all of the BOTM threads. "I went with XXXX because that was my first car, and I wish I never got rid of it!" "That XXX reminds me of my neighbors when I was young and I so wanted that car!" "I won my first race with a XXXX, so that one is getting my vote!" "I always wanted a XXXX, but never had the opportunity, so I am going to vote for that." "I like trucks so I voted for the truck." Etc, etc.....

I don't think BOTM is actually about the "builds" for the most part, although that is in the title. Some BOTM winners were cars that were great to begin with, and just got cleaned up some .......... while non-winners had months of work, and loads of $$$$, put into them. The non-winners were often better "builds," they just didn't get the gut reaction that another vehicle got. I plan to enter my Viper EX-10 in the future, and that car is just a nice refresh of a great, simple pan car ...... but man, does that thing speak to me when I see it!!!! If I could BOTM in my little hobby room, that car would probably win, but it is definitely not the vehicle I put the most effort into by a long shot.

I have entered BOTM twice previously, and ended up 2nd both times. There were definitely better "builds" that placed below me in both of those months. IMO, my builds aren't great, or technical, or have months of planning, but I do tend to build what catches my attention, and I think they catch the attention of others. I could build a 100% technically perfect car, but if it doesn't make me smile when I see it, that was a big waste of my resources!

Okay, well that got deep! To wrap it up, love the Avante, love all the entries!!! Just a couple got my gut reaction more than the rest. All love.
Well said!...I just wish "Thumbs" had liked it also...considering it was his childhood friends car...but he didn't...and we will all have to accept it and move on...but, all builds this month are very nice!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

It's pretty tough to judge what "should" win , there are rare cars , rare parts, polished parts , unique combinations , stunning paint jobs , emotional connections and great photography all to consider , then you have things you know nothing about (for me pan cars and nitro) and just catch your eye .
For me it needs to be a complete car , ready to run even if you don't , I love scale builds with all the detail , clean racer builds and paint jobs are a big part ........ Some combination of all the above has to be there .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Dadio wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:17 am It's pretty tough to judge what "should" win , there are rare cars , rare parts, polished parts , unique combinations , stunning paint jobs , emotional connections and great photography all to consider , then you have things you know nothing about (for me pan cars and nitro) and just catch your eye .
For me it needs to be a complete car , ready to run even if you don't , I love scale builds with all the detail , clean racer builds and paint jobs are a big part ........ Some combination of all the above has to be there .
I concur as well..But the biggest factor is politics, delicate politics. Lol

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I pick who pays me the most. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

scr8p wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:49 am I pick who pays me the most. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:
My votes for sale too , just putting it out there :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

A lot of really sweet builds this month! Some I haven't even heard of before too!
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Easy one for me this month….. as mentioned above by others I quickly scan through the pics and usually the car I wanted most bitd grabs my attention. There are certain categories that just don’t do it for me - I think the UK eye and hence tastes are very different on that front; we never really had trucks as such as they were not that popular. I only ever raced off-road buggies so again pan cars and oval are completely off my radar. My tastes are probably a little niche, but with just two pictures I think photo quality and ‘the pose’ is pretty important. However, saying that I went for the JRX-2 simply because I have always wanted one and that would be the car shown that I would pick to take home.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Well, I almost voted for the carpet and polka-dots. But I went with the humble RC10T Sport because it reminds me of the race truck beginnings when I was a kid. So, yes everything that has been said about how and why we vote is very true. However, the electronics package in that 10T had me leaning towards the carpet :lol: :D
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Return to “RC10Talk Build of the Month Contest”