Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

User avatar
silvertriple
Approved Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: France, Isere
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:13 pm
silvertriple wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm Nice prints :-)
Thanks , been working on the diff , looks possible .
Well, the Big Bear ran with bevel gears printed in plain nylon in my Bambu Lab X1C for quite a while without a single issue... So yes, it should be possible (and I did not used a 0.2 mm nozzle for that).
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:27 pm
Dadio wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:13 pm
silvertriple wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm Nice prints :-)
Thanks , been working on the diff , looks possible .
Well, the Big Bear ran with bevel gears printed in plain nylon in my Bambu Lab X1C for quite a while without a single issue... So yes, it should be possible (and I did not used a 0.2 mm nozzle for that).
I'm planning on using the metal diff gears and outdrivres from the Hot Shot and just printing the toothed pulley and bearing adapters .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

Hot Shot diff gears in a mini Mustang compatible diff , will need axles to match the more common dog bone size of the Hot Shot , uses 5x10 bearings and an adapter to fit the 13mm hole for the stock Mini Mustang bearing .
20230813_123023.jpg
20230813_122840.jpg
20230813_122802.jpg
20230813_122716.jpg
20230813_122705.jpg
20230813_122321.jpg
20230813_122227.jpg
20230813_122211.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

Just received an engineering plate and some PA6 CF from Bambu Lab yesterday , dried the filament for 20 hours and my first print has started :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

PA6 CF prints so well , printed some Mini Mustang arms and once I pressed in the ball studs they are free and smooth , often when you print a ball joint you have to hone them a bit , very impressed with the dimensional accuracy .
20230902_153151.jpg
These arms and hubs are modified to use HotShot dog bones and axles to make a set to complement the Hotshot diff components .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

User avatar
silvertriple
Approved Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: France, Isere
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by silvertriple »

Interesting... I have some PA12 HT CF and PETG CF at home but did not tried to print yet with them... Time will come, as I have something in mind, but right now I'm focused on something else... I also heard about PC being very interesting for RC, and I must recognize I'm tempted to try... And the PA6 CF as well...

Did you print with the 0.4 mm nozzle?
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

User avatar
GoMachV
Approved Member
Posts: 11105
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 am
Location: Twin Falls, ID
Has thanked: 727 times
Been thanked: 2086 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by GoMachV »

We use PA6 carbon for our no prep drag racing body mount/caster blocks and they hold up great at 100mph but the print is not the prettiest.
Attachments
20230902_091349.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:59 pm Interesting... I have some PA12 HT CF and PETG CF at home but did not tried to print yet with them... Time will come, as I have something in mind, but right now I'm focused on something else... I also heard about PC being very interesting for RC, and I must recognize I'm tempted to try... And the PA6 CF as well...

Did you print with the 0.4 mm nozzle?
Yes it's a 0.4 mm nozzle , one important thing is to dry the filament first even new out the sealed package , I dried this roll for 20+ hours before printing and the result is that xcellent
.
GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:13 pm We use PA6 carbon for our no prep drag racing body mount/caster blocks and they hold up great at 100mph but the print is not the prettiest.
That finish is very like the Esun CF Nylon I was originally using , it was strong but more flexible and never had a glossy finish , the BambuLab PA6 CF has that nice satin shine and it has that crisp clatter when you drop it , expensive though £37 for half a kilo !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

User avatar
silvertriple
Approved Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: France, Isere
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:55 pm
silvertriple wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:59 pm Interesting... I have some PA12 HT CF and PETG CF at home but did not tried to print yet with them... Time will come, as I have something in mind, but right now I'm focused on something else... I also heard about PC being very interesting for RC, and I must recognize I'm tempted to try... And the PA6 CF as well...

Did you print with the 0.4 mm nozzle?
Yes it's a 0.4 mm nozzle , one important thing is to dry the filament first even new out the sealed package , I dried this roll for 20+ hours before printing and the result is that xcellent
.
GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:13 pm We use PA6 carbon for our no prep drag racing body mount/caster blocks and they hold up great at 100mph but the print is not the prettiest.
That finish is very like the Esun CF Nylon I was originally using , it was strong but more flexible and never had a glossy finish , the BambuLab PA6 CF has that nice satin shine and it has that crisp clatter when you drop it , expensive though £37 for half a kilo !
I was aware for the drying, with Nylon, it should be almost the standard procedure...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:16 pm
Dadio wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:55 pm
silvertriple wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:59 pm Interesting... I have some PA12 HT CF and PETG CF at home but did not tried to print yet with them... Time will come, as I have something in mind, but right now I'm focused on something else... I also heard about PC being very interesting for RC, and I must recognize I'm tempted to try... And the PA6 CF as well...

Did you print with the 0.4 mm nozzle?
Yes it's a 0.4 mm nozzle , one important thing is to dry the filament first even new out the sealed package , I dried this roll for 20+ hours before printing and the result is that xcellent
.
GoMachV wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:13 pm We use PA6 carbon for our no prep drag racing body mount/caster blocks and they hold up great at 100mph but the print is not the prettiest.
That finish is very like the Esun CF Nylon I was originally using , it was strong but more flexible and never had a glossy finish , the BambuLab PA6 CF has that nice satin shine and it has that crisp clatter when you drop it , expensive though £37 for half a kilo !
I was aware for the drying, with Nylon, it should be almost the standard procedure...
It should be dry out of the packet , bit rubbish that it's not really.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

User avatar
silvertriple
Approved Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: France, Isere
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 739 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by silvertriple »

Well, you never know, so by default, it is to be dried...
And even if you store it properly, you will have to dry it again before reprinting...

That said, AMS + silica gel beads in containers allows to space between drying as it keeps the environment controled (my wife use to dry the clothes in my printer room, and AMS silica gel beads needs to be dried every 4 months...)...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

All my nylons and PC are in sealed dry boxes with silica packs in and with bowdan tubes to the printer , as you say you get a few months before drying again , I don't really bother with PLA other than having it in large tubs with silica packs but not that well sealed .
The Mini Mustang is coming along .
20230902_174722.jpg
20230902_174703.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

Drew up the steering components and chassis plate for the Mini Mustang , I combined the chassis plate with the under tray that's usually a lexan part, printed in PA6 CF Nylon for the steering and the plate in PETG CF.
20230905_121053.jpg
20230905_121113.jpg
20230905_121031.jpg
The chassis plate once fitted makes the whole thing very rigid. After printing I added cutouts in the under guard sides for battery and steering rod as I'd missed them on this version , easy enough to cut out as you would in the lexan version.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

This Mini Mustang is just about done , modified to use Hotshot diff bevel gears , dogbones and axles .
Servo and motor are fitted just need to fit an RX and ESC and it's test drive time, I'm not sure if the suspension arms will hold up in home printed PA6 CF Nylon, where the inner arms meet the suspension pins they are quite skinny , the original material is very tough and flexible , nearest material I could print them in would be Polypropylene and I've never used it , by all accounts Polypropylene only really likes to stick to Polypropylene ....
20230912_191415.jpg
20230912_191253.jpg
20230912_191236.jpg
20230912_191205.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member
Posts: 3766
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford UK
Has thanked: 2085 times
Been thanked: 1891 times

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by Dadio »

Took the printed Mini Mustang for a drive today , disappointingly the Hotshot diffs don't like being under tension from the belt , with enough belt tension not to slip it virtually locks the diffs :( I'm thinking of ways to solve this , its down to the different out drive designs , the genuine diffs have a sleeved screw holding the outdrivres together but the Hotshot only has a loose pin to keep it centred , I'm sure I can solve it for myself but it's a bust for making an easy conversion part for other people .
20230916_101616.jpg
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • SilverTriple's printing stuff...
    by silvertriple » » in 3D Printing
    168 Replies
    5436 Views
    Last post by silvertriple
  • 3d printing some SRB stuff
    by j-sou » » in 3D Printing
    20 Replies
    4613 Views
    Last post by finman
  • Dadio's Airbrush Play
    by Dadio » » in R/C Off-Topic / Chit-Chat
    6 Replies
    551 Views
    Last post by Dadio
  • Dadio's latest dumb question
    by Dadio » » in Vintage Electronics
    11 Replies
    572 Views
    Last post by threesheds
  • Dadio's Humble Historic Collection
    by Dadio » » in The Gallery
    0 Replies
    1670 Views
    Last post by Dadio
  • 3D Printing
    by Smooth » » in 3D Printing
    3 Replies
    1169 Views
    Last post by Smooth
  • 3D printing.
    by OMC-Mikey » » in 3D Printing
    10 Replies
    1856 Views
    Last post by j-sou
  • 3D printing questions
    by TRX-1-3 » » in 3D Printing
    6 Replies
    166 Views
    Last post by silvertriple

Return to “3D Printing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No User AvatarCommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests