Just finished my Tamiya BBX

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ahenderl
Approved Member

Just finished my Tamiya BBX

Post by ahenderl »

It's a rainy ugly late-November Sunday, so I finished up my BBX today.

It's pretty much stock except for the optional slipper clutch. It has a HobbyWing Quicrun ESC with a 10.5 turn Quicrun sensored motor. I installed a 25 tooth pinion as well.

I like the contrast of the yellow, orange, red and white stripes against the blue, but instead of PS-4 it has PS-16 metallic blue. It's a tad darker than PS-4 but mainly I love the metallic. It is backed with metallic silver and black.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Adam

ahenderl
Approved Member

Re: Just finished my Tamiya BBX

Post by ahenderl »

The stripes look so good it didn't seem right to cover them up. So, I cut my own numbers for the roof as well as the flag on the rear. I left the number plates off the rear body panels because they are difficult to get to lay flat without wrinkles.

The ride height seemed a tad too high for me and some of the YouTube videos look like the BBX is a little top-heavy. I lowered the rear until is was essentially "bones-level" and then adjusted the front to match the rear.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Adam

ahenderl
Approved Member

Post by ahenderl »

Not sure how well it shows in the pics, but the metallic really pops.

Painting the tires was bit of a pain but I think it was worth the effort. The tires aren't glued yet so I may remove them, strip the chrome off of the wheels and paint them to look like aluminum. I think that would suit the vintage look a bit better.

My only complaint about the BBX is the name...I don't really understand that one. I really didn't want BBX plastered all over the outside of this buggy. It was pre-printed on the decal forward of the driver so I went ahead and installed it, but I left all of the others off.

I'd love to find a way to install a wing on it instead of the rear roof-mounted tire. I think a re-re white Javelin/Ultima wing would look great on this buggy.

This buggy was a fun build, went together well, is made of nice quality materials and it is nice to see something new that looks vintage from Tamiya. If they release new kits based off of this chassis I will be sure to get in line quick.

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Adam

brn2fly

Post by brn2fly »

How do you think it will hold up?

ahenderl
Approved Member

Post by ahenderl »

brn2fly wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:01 am How do you think it will hold up?
It was rainy yesterday so I haven't had a chance to run it yet.

From the videos I've seen online it seems to be pretty durable. It will be driven with different wheels and tires to keep the originals pretty for the shelf. Also, the flag on the back will be removed for running. Others have said the rear-mounted spare protects the top in a rollover, but it also makes it more top-heavy and rollover prone....who knows
Adam

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I believe that the wheels are the same size as touring cars, so you should have plenty of options.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.