Cool RC10 Progression Example... imo

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cjack

Cool RC10 Progression Example... imo

Post by cjack »

I don't have permission to all the forums yet. If this is posted in the wrong place please move it or just delete.

I'm beginning to learn about the different progressions the original RC10 undertook during its production. I was lucky enough to view an incredible collection of RC10s over the weekend, including several early, light gold pan Edingers.

From my visit, I now understand the smallest details are critical to understanding a kit's history. That leads me to why I'm posting.

I was looking on eBay and saw the auction for a late build RC10 CE, with all black suspension. On closer inspection, I noticed the black shock caps are aluminum instead of plastic. I assume, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this kit was one of the first with the all black suspension built, before the black plastic caps were available.

Or could it be a late build? When the company was running out of parts and just did a small run of aluminum caps to finish the remaining kits?

This post might be pointless. But being new to the RC10 hobby, I thought I would share to see if anyone had further knowledge on the topic. ✌️
Attachments
Screenshot_20231218_093957_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231218_094224_eBay.jpg

Frankentruck

Re: Cool RC10 Progression Example... imo

Post by Frankentruck »

I've seen/had the gray hard anodized shocks with black aluminum and black plastic caps, and gold shocks with gold aluminum and black plastic caps, but hadn't personally come across the gold with black aluminum caps.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Definitely late build. The b2's had black aluminum caps so it's not impossible. Pretty cool.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

cjack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:14 am I don't have permission to all the forums yet. If this is posted in the wrong place please move it or just delete.

I'm beginning to learn about the different progressions the original RC10 undertook during its production. I was lucky enough to view an incredible collection of RC10s over the weekend, including several early, light gold pan Edingers.

From my visit, I now understand the smallest details are critical to understanding a kit's history. That leads me to why I'm posting.

I was looking on eBay and saw the auction for a late model RC10, with all black suspension. On closer inspection, I noticed the black shock caps are aluminum instead of plastic. I assume, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this kit was one of the first with the all black suspension built, before the black plastic caps were available.

Or could it be a late build? When the company was running out of parts and just did a small run of aluminum caps to finish the remaining kits?

This post might be pointless. But being new to the RC10 hobby, I thought I would share to see if anyone had further knowledge on the topic. ✌️
I just watched that auction go, that kit just sold for $1,000.00. Was at $330 last night, wanted that one, but after it hit $700 I was out.

The all black kit is from '96, last year of the gold pan.

Scroll down to the middle of this thread for the full history of the zebra, all black CE, and World's car:
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=13059

Could the shock caps have been replacements?

EDIT: The World's car had aluminum caps at the same time the late black CE was available, tried to post a pic in here of the World's shocks from the 25 Year thread, won't let me. Seems if those caps were stock, they came from the GT or World's kit.

cjack

Post by cjack »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:53 am I've seen/had the gray hard anodized shocks with black aluminum and black plastic caps, and gold shocks with gold aluminum and black plastic caps, but hadn't personally come across the gold with black aluminum caps.
From the RC10 sticky, it seems the Zebra CE kits came with black aluminum caps on gold shock bodies. My Zebra CE came with them.
Attachments
20231215_092737.jpg

cjack

Post by cjack »

GreenBar0n wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:33 pm
cjack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:14 am I don't have permission to all the forums yet. If this is posted in the wrong place please move it or just delete.

I was looking on eBay and saw the auction for a late model RC10, with all black suspension. On closer inspection, I noticed the black shock caps are aluminum instead of plastic. I assume, and please correct me if I'm wrong, this kit was one of the first with the all black suspension built, before the black plastic caps were available.

I just watched that auction go, that kit just sold for $1,000.00. Was at $330 last night, wanted that one, but after it hit $700 I was out.

The all black kit is from '96, last year of the gold pan.

Scroll down to the middle of this thread for the full history of the zebra, all black CE, and World's car:
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=13059

Could the shock caps have been replacements?

EDIT: The World's car had aluminum caps at the same time the late black CE was available, tried to post a pic in here of the World's shocks from the 25 Year thread, won't let me. Seems if those caps were stock, they came from the GT or World's kit.
I watched the same auction and couldn't believe how it shot up in the last 12 hours. It makes me very happy with my recent purchase.

Did all World car kits come with aluminum shock caps or was it a mix-n-match with whatever was available?

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

cjack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 pm I watched the same auction and couldn't believe how it shot up in the last 12 hours. It makes me very happy with my recent purchase.

Did all World car kits come with aluminum shock caps or was it a mix-n-match with whatever was available?
That's what I was reading about their supplies, they went with whatever they had on hand at times.