Random Chit Chat Thread: If you need help with Profile Avatar

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Random Chit Chat Thread: If you need help with Profile Avatar

Post by morrisey0 »

I have been playing around with changing my avatar for this forum for quite a bit, but every time I went into p'shop, and just directly played with the size parameters set forth by the site, I ended up with a pixelized mess, and just put it off until the future. And then did that again and again. You can set up max size by pixels, but once you start playing with resolution to get it down to 19kb, it turns to junk.

Forum parameters: 200 pixel x 200 pixel max. File size 0-19kb

If you working within photoshop, it is easy to do once you know what to do. Take the pic that you want to use, and then use the Marquee tool on the toolbar to select the area you want to ultimately use, then Image > Crop to trim it down. Then go to Image > Image Size, and set the greater distance to 200 pixels. Then go to File > Export > Export As and then a pop up should show up. For format, just choose simple jpg. Image size should show up as you set it, with the longer side being 200 pixels. If you look to the left of the pop up, it should show the file name, and under that, it should show format, pixel size, and then file size. The Quality menu to the right is where you want to play. By default, it should show Quality as 100%, and if you click it, it should give you a slide rule. As you move along this rule, pay attention to the file size to the left. Slide the rule until you get just under 19kb. Then Export it and your pic should be good to go as an avatar. As long as you started with a decent pic to begin with, your exported pic should be pretty good.

If you don't wand to deal with this, or don't know p'shop, you can message me a pic and I will set it up for you.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: Random Chit Chat Thread: If you need help with Profile Avatar

Post by Dangeruss »

Cool post. Lots of options with photoshop. For avatars I find it easiest to create a new 200px X 200px @72ppi file and import/resize the image from there, then save by selecting "File > Save For Web" and lower the quality until the file size falls below 19kb. Saving the file for web produces a higher resolution image with a smaller file size. Same end results as yours... just quicker.