Hotshots: Part I

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

Hotshots: Part I

Post by RedScampi »

I've been working on this car for a couple of weekend off and on. It's an original issue Hotshot I picked up a few months back. It's not finished yet but I couldn't wait to share. :D I must say this has to be the sexiest car Tamiya ever produced. It just looks like it means business! The car itself is in quite nice shape and has only been subjected to minor cleaning so far. I have a few new parts on the way to bring it up to an acceptable level. It won't be perfect - I just can't see the point of taking an old car apart, replacing every part with new and calling it restored. The body is one that I got cheap because it had been badly trimmed. I had to make some pretty big cuts to make it acceptable to me. Still I think it came out nice enough - just squint and imagine those gaping holes in the side are supposed to be there! The under tray says Supershot on it, never seen another one - was it stock for that car? I also have enough used parts to build another beater car minus a few pieces, stay tuned to this channel for the pictures!
P.S. You will notice this car is not red. I like red. A lot. But if you go to Tamiyaclub and look at the Hotshots you will see that perhaps 80% of them are red. Box art red. The stickers are even all in the same spot! As cool as they are, after the 10th or 11th car you kind of get bored looking at them. Anyway, here's my lame attempt to do it a bit different: :wink:
Attachments
This apparently is a Supershot skidplate.  Makes everything nice and clean on the bottom. :)
This apparently is a Supershot skidplate. Makes everything nice and clean on the bottom. :)
As purchased.
As purchased.
Creative application of otherwise useless stripes!
Creative application of otherwise useless stripes!
Crash thinks we need new rear rubber and less direct flash...
Crash thinks we need new rear rubber and less direct flash...
Aluminum needs a bit of a polishing job.
Aluminum needs a bit of a polishing job.
Paint isn't totally dry on the helmet - stupid wet weather and polyurathane don't mix well.
Paint isn't totally dry on the helmet - stupid wet weather and polyurathane don't mix well.
Still need some rear sway bar connectors.
Still need some rear sway bar connectors.
P1020467 (Large).JPG
Gary

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: Hotshots: Part I

Post by civilguy »

Nice looking 'shot! The skidplate was indeed standard fare on the Supershot.

I know what you mean about the color-- mine was red bitd as my father bought the paint (and kit) for my Christmas present. It didn't stay red long though... it's been orange, blue and now white.

I'll have to look, but I may have sway bar parts-- are you looking for the metal ball connectors that go on the end of the sway bar or for the plastic connectors that go from sway bar to a-arm?
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I just realized that I didn't post a picture explaining the "badly trimmed body". I hope this also explains why I chose to use the striping as I did:
Attachments
P1020472 (Large).JPG
Gary

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

civilguy wrote:Nice looking 'shot! The skidplate was indeed standard fare on the Supershot.

I know what you mean about the color-- mine was red bitd as my father bought the paint (and kit) for my Christmas present. It didn't stay red long though... it's been orange, blue and now white.

I'll have to look, but I may have sway bar parts-- are you looking for the metal ball connectors that go on the end of the sway bar or for the plastic connectors that go from sway bar to a-arm?
Thanks for the compliment! I have the ball connectors on both ends, I just need the plastic pieces tat go between them.
Gary