To Re-Re or not to Re-Re, That is the Question

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: To Re-Re or not to Re-Re, That is the Question

Post by mrlexan »

Let's not allow this topic stray from the primary subject, please. :mrgreen:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:The vintage stuff will still exist. If you are really into vintage stuff, I don't see how new re-releases would change anything. Don't buy new stuff if you only like old stuff.
a01butal wrote:I think I remember long ago a moddy commenting about remaking Tecnacraft wheels being such an abhorrent idea. I'm not sure this is that much different.
It's a huge difference. Tecnacraft has been out of business for years. There is a difference between an un-authorized third party making copies of something that is long dead and a company who is still around re-releasing an old kit that they own the rights to. Joe Blow taking a Tecnacraft wheel set to a machine shop and having them reproduce them is bootlegging. In most other fields that is illegal.

I want my Tamiya stuff made by Tamiya, I want my Tecnacraft stuff made by Tecnacraft. I collect authentic items, old or new. Not bootlegs, fakes, copies or any form of plagerism.
Does that mean you won't use andy's or rpm arms for your rc10 over associated stck arms cause there copies from another company?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

murphy3428 wrote:use andy's or rpm arms for your rc10 over associated stck arms cause there copies from another company?
What? I don't understand this argument at all. Andy's or RPM arms look nothing like stock. They are aftermarket hop up parts, not a copies of the AE parts. Nobody is trying to "pull one over" on anyone with those parts, they are original designs. They are improving on existing pieces, not replicating them.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

mrlexan wrote:Let's not allow this topic stray from the primary subject, please. :mrgreen:
I can't decide if I should get some fried chicken for dinner tonight, or some bbq chicken from this place I haven't tried before that looks really good. The fried chicken place is really good, and cheap too. Sometimes I feel like I get stuck in ruts, but then I think that's just because I know what I like.

What were we talking about again? :lol:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Well I don't care whether it's MIP or somebody else I would not like to see someone make 4wd kits after I spent rare air money for the set I have. Now, I was interested to hear the former owner of Tecnacraft tell me he had considered remaking the wheels as they were so popular but then he had had second thoughts and put it on hold. I guess I go with which way the wind blows as to whether it personally affects my wallet.

I'd say try something different go BBQ chicken tonight. :)

This is all very interesting!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I just know how "senstive" you are on that subject and didn't want to go down that road again. :P :mrgreen:

I like BBQ. You could go to KFC, they have fried and now..... baked. :mrgreen:
www.gojammedia.com

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

a01butal wrote:Well I don't care whether it's MIP or somebody else I would not like to see someone make 4wd kits after I spent rare air money for the set I have. Now, I was interested to hear the former owner of Tecnacraft tell me he had considered remaking the wheels as they were so popular but then he had had second thoughts and put it on hold. I guess I go with which way the wind blows as to whether it personally affects my wallet.

I'd say try something different go BBQ chicken tonight. :)
no steak tips! As far as tecnacraft goes I don't think its going to happen,atleast he made it sound like that the last I talked to him. I don't really care what tamiya does its not going to hurt me but if kyosho did thats another story I just feel tamiya could go in so many directions with the rough rider why remake the old, I think that if they designed a tube frame for the new rough rider instead the old frame they would be heading in a better direction for everybody.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'd say I'm more "outspoken" than "sensitive" on this subject. :D But, a good way to get on my bad side would be to start making something like Tecnacraft wheels at your local shop. If the original owner wants to start making them again, that's fine with me. It would be sweet if he'd do some modern touring car and 2.2 buggy and ST wheels, he'd probably sell the heck out of them. I think those 2.2 "jellybean" aluminum wheels that are being made are pretty cool. They look similar to the old aluminum Losi wheels, but there is no mistaking them for the os versions, they're a totally different size.

Thinking more about this subject on the way home I think I've realized where my point of view comes from. I'm an artist as many of you know, so intellectual property and original ideas are always at the front of my mind. I don't like seeing one person "borrow" the ideas or work of another. I don't like derivative work, or even reading in catalogs about how one persons work was "inspired by" someone else's. It's a creative crutch and I think people need to think for themselves whenever they can. However, if one person comes up with a really good idea, it usually doesn't bother me if they keep doing it over and over for however long.

I agree, it would be cool if Tamiya did an updated Rough Rider, but I'll take what I can get. I'm actually just as stoked about opening a Tamiya box filled with blister packs and seeing the whole old school build presentation, and I can't wait to relive that older style experience once again. I see this particular re-release as being akin to having your favorite old band who's been broken up for years getting back together and you get front row seats and a back stage pass. No new songs to fill in the show either, just all the old ones you really like.

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

OK, but what was it tonight BBQ chicken or fried, kinda more important doncha think.

This is all very interesting!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Ah, I went the lazy route with the fried. It was really busy around the BBQ joint and I was on my bike, so I went with what I knew. I will get some of that BBQ one of these days though.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

dude, you live in Brooklyn and your trying to eat BBQ????
Have some Pizza! and chase it with a canoli :lol:
(I'm just geographically jealous, having grown up in Queens, upstate NY pizza sucks big time.)

as for the original topic, It is unfortunate for many that they have dumped so much money into the restoration of older cars, only to have the value drop because the parts are instantly available, but overall I'm glad to be able to get the stuff again. The re-re's have made it easier to get parts and are making it possible to get that NIB build experience that was out of reach for many. Original will always be original, and die-hards will want them, but for many the re-re will do.
I for one am a Huge Lunchbox fan, and was stoked when they re-released it, and even more excited with the gold metalic version. If you want original old school though, it will still take some hunting to retrofit the necessary parts. I'd much rather drop $100 for a re-re than $300+ for an original.

I do also think that the hunt is a big part of the fun, and hunting for original parts will actually be a bit harder once there are all the re-re parts around to dilute them. many will be the same, but some things are bound to be different. I am glad I stuck to losi as the prices are still reasonable. With all the parts variations, there is still plenty of hunting to do. In fact I just recently scored a set of nip thin shock clamps that I had been looking ages for.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

aconsola wrote: was stoked
Coming from a Dr. in NY.... that just plain ain't right. :mrgreen:
www.gojammedia.com

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

aconsola wrote:dude, you live in Brooklyn and your trying to eat BBQ????
Have some Pizza! and chase it with a canoli :lol:
(I'm just geographically jealous, having grown up in Queens, upstate NY pizza sucks big time.)
Heck yeah! :lol: I live in Crown Heights, the part that's about 90% of African and Caribbean descent. There is definitely some good BBQ around here. The place I was thinking of going to tonight is a trip. They have a 55 gallon drum, cut in half, on the sidewalk by the curb out in front of the shop. The smoke clouds the entire street. There is always some kind of BBQing going on in my neighborhood, people pull their grills out in front of their buildings and go to town. We've only got one good pizza shop in the neighborhood though, that kinda sucks but one is better than none. 8)