Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by morrisey0 »

So when I was putting together the Bolink above, I started with half of a radio plate, and of course it was impossible to track one down. I ended up making up the rest of the design, and Jeff @ FW cut a new one along with the rest of the chassis plates. This morning I end up in the garage of a guy that owned a LHS for years, and when he closed down, he took all the inventory home. In the literal first box I look at, I could actually see it sitting on top from across the room, was a NIP Bolink Round Tracker radio plate. In the next 1.5 hours that I spent there just barely scratching the surface of his collection, I ended up finding three more! :shock: It became the running joke of my visit! These plates are specific to the first version of this one model, and I don't think they were made very long, and there were very few other Bolink chassis pieces found in his stuff. I could have spent a week going through this guy's stuff and would not have seen it all. Problem is, he isn't giving it away! :( I think his LHS inventory is his retirement, and he knows what the stuff is worth.
Attachments
bolink rt radio plates 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I saw one of the craziest things in the sky last night. It looked like a really long line of stars moving along in single file. The only answer I could come up with is that it was a line of drones flying someplace. Come to find out after Googling is that it was a Starlink satellite train! Starlink is a controversial business Elon Musk is funding. It's an ISP for remote places where regular Internet doesn't reach. I've known about it but had absolutely no idea how it was being deployed. Well until last night anyway.

https://youtu.be/b1plc-ckppo

You can see when a line of them will be in your area by going here: https://findstarlink.com/

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Didn't want to start a new thread and my search capabilities here stink. I got every mention of "inch" and "tires"..... :roll:

Does anybody know of a source for new but vintage style 2.1"/2.0" front/rear 2wd buggy tires?
Hope you're doin' something fun.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Some options here.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46383&p=525288&hilit=Traxxas+1771#p525288

Re-re Kyosho Scorpion fronts are 2". They should stretch to 2.1". I'd get the soft version.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:53 am Didn't want to start a new thread and my search capabilities here stink. I got every mention of "inch" and "tires"..... :roll:

Does anybody know of a source for new but vintage style 2.1"/2.0" front/rear 2wd buggy tires?
Traxxas has some 2.1 fronts: #4740 ribbed, #1771 spiked and #3471 slicks.
-Brad

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Anybody know whenabouts these things hit the scene. I'm shopping around for a period correct receiver. Shooting for 1991-92ish. The three channel though. Was it common bitd to run a three channel even though you only needed two? I'm not too familiar with all the high end gear from back then. My transmitters had trim and servo reversing.
Screenshot_20221114-153637_eBay.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

That receiver is newer than that. It uses the newer "Z" plug, which shares the common wiring pinout.

I want to say that those were mid/late 90's, maybe 2000-ish.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:53 am source for new but vintage style 2.1"/2.0" front/rear 2wd buggy tires?
Schumacher still makes their old 2.0 tires

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Has anyone here given the white ball cups from MCI a go?

https://mciracing.ca/collections/associated-rc10-parts/products/1-10th-associated-rc10-rod-ends?sort_by=manual

They look alright but I don't think they have real pictures of them onbthe site. Rather, "renderings", so of course they look perfect.. Just curious but I might just give them a try. This is for a shelfer, I want to take some slop out of the steering and suspension while giving it a mildly hopped up look. Not for the purists but it might work. They seem very reasonably priced given that originals are very scarce and go for mad prices.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Was going through some old boxes and came across my first charger.
Screenshot_20221209-153553_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221209-153611_Gallery.jpg
Still has the original Kyosho connector (backwards Tamiya), as my first car was Kyosho based.

I'm sure that many of us had something similar.

I used it for a couple months before my older brother bought me a Hobbico AC/DC charger.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Anyone know where I can get more of these body post adjusters?
Attachments
body post adjusters.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

You might try Mudslide.
Seems like a go to for many pan car parts.

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

For the past year or so, I have been building up my Bolink fleet, and it is getting better, but it is all 1/10. I have been searching for a realistically priced 1/12 Bolink for quite some time, and have kicked myself in the butt for not going higher on one that I lost at auction quite a while back. Then when I woke up this morning and was reviewing a possible FBMP sale I am working on for a Tamiya RW1, at the bottom was some "you may be interested in" ads, and one of them read "Vintage Toy Trucks playskool BoLink." I hit on it, and about eight pics in was the Bolink, the glorious Bolink Bandito! :mrgreen: After searching for a year, this guy showed up about 30 minutes from my house! I thought for sure I would find an Eliminator first, but shockingly the Bandito made its way. The plan is to just make this a 1/12 version of my Round Tracker. :D
Attachments
BANDITO 1.jpg

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

That is really cool!

Since you have a BoLink collection, maybe you can help identify one for me. Sadly I have only memories as the actual car is loooooong gone.

My first car was a BoLink. No idea which one as it was well used before coming my way. I have never seen another like it. I guess you would call it a pan car, but the chassis was a gray plastic "c-channel". The motor pod was aluminum. I don't recall any rear suspension but the mounting point had some flex. There was an upper tray made of black plastic (cheap and flimsy 70s style plastic). The batteries were hung from the upper tray, 3 on each side. The front had the usual setup with tiny springs on the kingpins. I remember the box had several bodies listed, with a tick mark next to Porsche 917, so it must have had that originally. Does that (terrible) description sound like any of you BoLink cars?

Probably the coolest part was the radio. It was a brown metal box with the throttle on the side and a steering wheel on top. Mine was branded Futaba, but I have seen similar items with other names. This isn't mine, but it was identical to this pic.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Yep, I have a few of those radios sitting around. Even pretending with them, they are just not intuitive at all! I can't imagine actually driving with one. :D
FUTABA BOX RADIOS 1.jpg
I am FAR from an expert, but as far as I know, Bolink only made Porsche 917 bodies in 1/12th scale, so that narrows it down. It could be a variant of a Challenger, which changed A LOT of the years. One version was based off a Minicars XII, which you can see here: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5283 But they made others, and a couple of versions are here: https://www.rcscrapyard.net/bolink-challenger.htm And also check out all the 1/12 Bolinks here: https://www.rcscrapyard.net/1-12-electric-pan-cars-us.htm