Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Update, Race Meeting No.4!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DHC6
Approved Member

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car

Post by DHC6 »

That's a great resto project. Good job, and looks great for a runner. I am sure it will provide you with many perfect laps at your local track!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

what kinda wheels are those?

looks awesome!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jwscab wrote:what kinda wheels are those?

looks awesome!
Thanks DHC6.... still got quite a bit to do before its track ready - but I should hopefully have it ready for when my local club move from racing indoors with touring cars to outside off road in April/May :D

jwscab - the wheels are/were made by Fastrax who are a subsidiary of CML distribution (who are the UK distributers for Associated) http://www.fastrax-rc.com/ Having a quick flick though the site it seems these wheels are not available anymore :| A friend who used to run them on his B2/3 gave me this set BNIP, not sure if i'll use them on the track as I also have some pro-line dished rims that look more robust.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

hahhah, that's just typical isn't it? I wouldn't run them in that case, especially if you have another dish/disc set you can use.....they look great!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car... Ready to Race 07.06.10

Post by DerbyDan »

Well its finally finished & (save for glueing on the tyres) Its now ready to race. I sprayed up the Viper shell in a rather familiar colour scheme a couple of weeks ago.... but managed to finish it off with some stickers last night :D

I've had the car up and running for a while now but on one of its first test runs, the rear stub bearings collapsed on one side, as I hadn't spaced the axle correctly & was crushing the bearings when I tightened up the wheels. My replacement bearings came through from Avid last week... so I was finally able to get the car back together & take some photos :wink:

Car is running an LRP Sphere ESC, 6.5 Hacker brushless, & Futaba FASST 2.4 gig radio :)

Hope you approve...

mustang dave
Approved Member

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Updated 07.06.10

Post by mustang dave »

i definitly approve, thats great :D

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

That is sweet.Good looking car.
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

So the resurrection is complete!

Last night I took my Worlds Car to a nearby track (well, about an hours drive away) And raced it for the first time, in what must be about 15 or so years.... for the car..... & at least 10 years since I last raced on an off-road track!

This is the track, Stotfold Model Car Club, Herts. UK.

Not hoping for too much I booked myself in & told the race director to put me in the bottom heat... as it was a mid-week club night there was just enough people for three heats of 4wd & two heats of 2wd.

Rnd1, Not getting there in time for practice, the first round was very tentertive, not only was I trying to get used to the car (first time i'd driven an ali tubbed RC10 in anger) But getting used to the very different disciplin of racing on an off road track... indeed I think its the first time that i've ever run on a fully astroturfed track. I finished flat last, having had a few spills & both rear tyres came unglued from their outer edges (I suspected that my superglue had gone-off when I glued the tyres on the night previous ) Causing very sketchy handling!

Rnd2, I went out in my second qualifying race with tyres glued back on, wing wire straightened, slipper backed off & ride height lowered a bit. The car was a bit more driveable - it was now not wheelieing midway down the straight! :mrgreen: ) & the lower ride height made it more stable over undulations on the high grip astroturf. I was a bit quicker, but in the heat I was still last! :D ..... oh & my rear tyres fell off again!

B Final, I actually qualified 4th for the B final - so second from last (five cars in the final) There was a guy in the 'top' qual heats that was actually slower than me :shock: By now the light was fading fast & the floodlights were switched-on. Somehow once the buzzer had signalled the the start of the race, I felt much more at home with the car & the track, I had the confidence to get more 'air' & attack the jumps & bumps & the car flowed better for it, I was still well off the pace of the top 'A' final guys, but with a clean run, I brought the old RC10 home in first place :)

In summary; back when I was a regular off road racer, I would probably expect to be running mid/top of the A final on such a club night, the fact I was not up there last night was mostly down to my own rustiness to running off road - however I could see that the modern cars, with their wider track, longer wishbones, & smoother shocks were easier & less edgy to drive on the technical track compared with my pretty much standard spec RC10. However i'm sticking with my antique, i'm not going to try too hard and enjoy my racing - like I did last night :wink:

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

excellent stuff man, sounds like a lot of fun. :D

cyclepsych0
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

Fantasic job! I'm really liking that paint scheme on a buggy! The "Damn Yankees" sticker on the wing cracks me up! Great work! :wink:
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

cyclepsych0 wrote: The "Damn Yankees" sticker on the wing cracks me up! Great work! :wink:
Ha ha - cheers :) The 'Damn Yankees' thing was a bit of a promotional ploy by the UK distributers of Losi & Trinity 'Helger' - which has now been taken over by Horizon, when you brought a kit you could register it with them & you'd be in the Damn Yankees club.... i'm not actually sure what you got out of it other than some stickers :? Oh they also did a couple of one day race meetings under the banner of 'Damn Yankees' one for on-road & one for off road - I did the on-road meeting & qualified for the 'A' final... my claim to fame, probably the only time I would qualify in the same final as the then World champ Dave Spashett :lol:

And here's proof that my RC10 mixed it with the X6s & B4s (mines 4th on the grid with the yellow wing & wheels) Oh! & it really was that dark! 8)

cyclepsych0
Approved Member

Post by cyclepsych0 »

DerbyDan wrote:i'm not actually sure what you got out of it other than some stickers :?
Here in the states, the Damn Yankees were a sorry attempt of being a decent late 80's metal band. You'd think by their name they would rock! But, not even close..... :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Yankees_(band)
"Relax. Alright? My Old Man is a television repairman....... Got this ultimate set of tools... I can fix it!!" - Spicoli

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Oh my, just came back to this thread. The car with your build and the body paint scheme are gorgeous!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I raced my RC10 again yesterday - it was yet another fully astroturfed track, which I must admit i'm finding difficult to master.... when I used to race off road before, our tracks may have had some astroturf sections but were normally laid on grass & dirt... sometimes the odd bit of concrete too! Anyway I had a fun days racing - even if I finished second to last :lol: The car proved reliable, & by the end of the day getting closer to the pace of the faster guys in my heat :)

I wasn't the only person running an antique yesterday - Ken (who is on here but don't know your username?) Was also running his RC10 team car... it was great to run the cars in the same race & indeed they were pretty closely matched! It was also good to see your Losi JRX pro & lovely TRX1 & generally talk vintage R-C

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Race Meeting No.2!

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Cool stuff! What is the point of the astroturf? There is obviously dirt under there, why not run on it?