My Super XXT Runner Build

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bird
Approved Member

Re: My Super XXT Runner Build

Post by bird »

I am running MIP Aluminum CVD bones and Barracuda Titanium outdrives for minimum rotating mass. This is the lowest mass possible with a XXT setup. The MIP outdrives are steel and weigh more than the Barracudas.

To keep my Titanium Diff Outdrives from wearing, I chose to use a trick I read about from "back in the day".

1. Push the dogbone pins out using a bicycle chain breaker.
2. Chase the hole with a 3/32" drill bit at very low speed.
3. Cut a 1 inch piece of .095" Weed Whacker/Trimmer line.
4. Put a bit of CA glue on the line and slide it into the dogbone, let dry.
5. Then you cut the line down to fit. Too easy.

I have run this setup now for three full track days(2 hours track time), with no wear to the Titanium outdrives. I pulled the trimmer line out using a pliers, and redid everything above without issue. Ready for the track
Image(6).jpeg
Image(5).jpeg
Image(7).jpeg
Image(8).jpeg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Isn't weed whacker line nylon? I wonder how that would hold up compared to titanium or steel? My guess is not too well, because you're always needing to feed fresh line through your weed whacker, just whacking grass.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm Isn't weed whacker line nylon? I wonder how that would hold up compared to titanium or steel? My guess is not too well, because you're always needing to feed fresh line through your weed whacker, just whacking grass.
Yes It is Nylon. The idea is that is doesn't hold up. You replace it just like MIP Pucks when they wear. I could experiment with stiffer plastics, but this is so easy and CHEAP to do.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

For a runner, I'd probably go with something that would hold up...like a steel roll-pin of the correct thickness, probably.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:59 pm For a runner, I'd probably go with something that would hold up...like a steel roll-pin of the correct thickness, probably.
Do you understand the problem I'm fixing? Not going back to a steel or metal pin.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

bird wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:43 am The Final setup is as follows from the left:

TLR Slipper Plate, TLR Slipper Pad, TLR 78 Tooth Spur, TLR Slipper Pad, TLR Slipper Plate, XXT Slipper Plate, TLR Spring Stop Backwards and drilled, TLR Spring, XXT Spring Stop, XXT Nut.

IMG_6624.jpg

I'm heading to the track tomorrow to test it out.
Ran it at the track yesterday for about 30 minutes. The slipper did not slip once, and it's not even close to being maxed out. This is GREAT! I can now back it off just a bit to find my happy spot. I even went up from a 25 to a 26 tooth Pinion with the 78 Spur.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Taking the Super XXT to the track for the third time, still using the same weed trimmer line.

22T Slipper is working flawlessly. I have only heard it slip minimal on full throttle pulls, where the dirt is loose.

LOVING THIS TRUCK. I've let both of my buddies drive it, and they can't get over how smooth everything is with it. We all run Mini-T 2.0 and Brushed XXTs at our track.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Broke my first part last night. I made it barely one lap before I flew into the one tree top side, and broke a bottom shock mount.

10 Cent fix

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Update:

I've been running this at the track every Friday afternoon. I have gone four track days(40 minute run times each) and still using the same weed trimmer line without issue. It's at the point of having the same amount of slop as the metal pins. I love not having any backlash in the drive train, so I'll be replacing them again soon.

It's finally warming up in Wisconsin, and I can check motor temps for 70 weather. The motor is still not hot with the current gearing 26/76, I can put my finger on it after 30 laps all out. The ESC is hot, but it's down in the chassis without a fan. Nowhere near burning your finger though.

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

Update on the Nylon pins.

I've been running the same nylon pins for over a month, 5 track days x 40(2 batts @20min each) min track times = 200 minutes, no signs of them failing.

These ARE better than MIP pucks in my opinion. I'm going to do this mod to my other runner XX(T/4)s.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Thanks for the update on the "pin" durability. I'm very interested to try this out on some of my vintage buggies. Problem is, I'm not sure where to find round X-section trimmer line. Everything I find locally is always some other shape with corners (star, triangle, etc.), to better chop through the vegetation. At least there are several colors to choose from!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

bird
Approved Member

Post by bird »

matt1ptkn wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:21 am Thanks for the update on the "pin" durability. I'm very interested to try this out on some of my vintage buggies. Problem is, I'm not sure where to find round X-section trimmer line. Everything I find locally is always some other shape with corners (star, triangle, etc.), to better chop through the vegetation. At least there are several colors to choose from!
I ordered mine off of Amazon. It might be at the local stores.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089KFHNVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1