Your Top 10 Pet Peeves in second-hand R/C cars

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: Your Top 10 Pet Peeves in second-hand R/C cars

Post by Brandon G »

Here's a few:

Previous owners who used superglue to hold on velcro that they used to attach their ESC/receiver/servo to the chassis with.

Previous owners that used a mapp gas torch held with their feet to solder the motor wires on (or at least that what it looks like they used by the heat damage and melt marks in the endbell)

Previous owners that partially gouge off their motor labels to solder on capacitors especially when all they would have to do is attach the caps on the opposite side where there is no label.

Previous owners that solder caps onto the can of a modified motor not knowing what the tabs under the timing adjusting screws are used for.

People who f*&k up a really nice chassis for the sole purpose of trying to fit $10 electrionics into.

Nice bodies painted with 1/8" thick brushed on lexan paint.

Last but certainly not least, people who prepare their shelf queens for storage by coating them in cosmoline.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Post by victor_cathedral »

someone actually used cosmoline on an rc car :shock: thats rediculous

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

jwscab wrote:
the other is gearcases filled with weird grease/whatever. really? the instructions tell you where to apply lube!
Instructions?

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

shirochanwrx wrote: Smelling like cigarette smoke and perfumed lotion? Yeah, I would have a problem with an R/C car that smells like a hooker's underwear drawer too.

But c'mon, haven't we all resorted to using hand lotion in our shocks and/or diffs at least once? It's a toss up between Neutragena and Keihl's for diff action (although Kyosho and Tamiya seem to run best with Shiseido), but you can't beat Suave or Jergens for bang-for-the-buck. Of course, you could go with Clinique or Estee Lauder, but that's overkill for backyard bashing.

Who wants cracked, scaly, or wrinkled diff rings or shock O-rings?

Lotion *is* the answer for any vintage R/C enthusiast who is looking to improve the appearace of "fine-lines and wrinkles" that might otherwise suggest the actual age of the car.

Word.
I'm waiting for someone to find Astroglide in a gearbox as that just screams high performance. If anything it has to help when your R/C gets rear-ended.
Mr. ED wrote:Didn't happen to me, but how can we forget that infamous thread: original box smelling of cat pee!
Pffft thats nothing, I received a buggy not too long ago that reeked horribly of human excrement! Yeah, you read that right. It appeared to be covered in it. I ended up having to take it all outside and spray everything down with the garden hose. Then it sat in anti-bacterial dish soap at the bottom of the bathtub for a few hours. Grossest R/C related thing I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Image

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Lowgear wrote: Pffft thats nothing, I received a buggy not too long ago that reeked horribly of human excrement! Yeah, you read that right. It appeared to be covered in it. I ended up having to take it all outside and spray everything down with the garden hose. Then it sat in anti-bacterial dish soap at the bottom of the bathtub for a few hours. Grossest R/C related thing I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Image

Sounds like some kinda "Jackass" prank!

"Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville, and today I'm gonna defecate on this mint MIP 4x4 conversion before mailing it out to that retard RC freak who bought it to me via eBay for $1300 yesterday"

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I haven't read all three pages of posts, so my apologies if it's been mentioned, but the #1 for me are the various degrees and personal interpretation of the word "MINT".
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

mrlexan wrote:I haven't read all three pages of posts, so my apologies if it's been mentioned, but the #1 for me are the various degrees and personal interpretation of the word "MINT".
totally agreed: How much coke must one sniff before being unable to tell the difference between mint , lemon or lavender :twisted:

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I can't stand guys like this trying to look like saints total crap http://www.listown.com/beauty/ph/200910/116211.htm

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

mint n.
1. A place where the coins of a country are manufactured by authority of the government.
2. A place or source of manufacture or invention.
3. An abundant amount, especially of money.
tr.v. mint·ed, mint·ing, mints
1. To produce (money) by stamping metal; coin.
2. To invent or fabricate: a phrase that was minted for one occasion.
adj.
Undamaged as if freshly minted: The painting was in mint condition.

Since we are not making money here, the last sentence is the one which is most relavent. And in my mind when describing ebay auctions should be used very carefully. Which it ain't.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mr. ED wrote:
mrlexan wrote:I haven't read all three pages of posts, so my apologies if it's been mentioned, but the #1 for me are the various degrees and personal interpretation of the word "MINT".
totally agreed: How much coke must one sniff before being unable to tell the difference between mint , lemon or lavender :twisted:
Or poop, in Lowgear's case...I'm sure that car wasn't "minty"! :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

My annoyance with the misuse of the word "mint" is not so much that people use it for a car that's not in perfect condition, but when they say it's "minty". Unless it was sprayed with peppermint Febreeze, it AIN'T minty!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

minichamps11
Approved Member

Post by minichamps11 »

Incredible_Serious wrote:Okay, I'll have a go at this......

5. Clockwork 15 minute nicad chargers that will charge a 1200 pack in half an hour - and contribute about half the total package weight from the other side of the world....
Classic! Even worse are mains chargers - three times the weight of clockwork chargers and turn up with the wrong kind of plug and voltage for your country - doubly costly & useless :evil:

Although not a surprise, as even the worse seller can't hide these flaws, one of my pet peeves is the 1000's of used cars out there missing all their shocks and the bodyshells (but not the wing). Where is this huge pile of lost shocks & shells??

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Lonestar wrote:
Lowgear wrote: Pffft thats nothing, I received a buggy not too long ago that reeked horribly of human excrement! Yeah, you read that right. It appeared to be covered in it. I ended up having to take it all outside and spray everything down with the garden hose. Then it sat in anti-bacterial dish soap at the bottom of the bathtub for a few hours. Grossest R/C related thing I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Image

Sounds like some kinda "Jackass" prank!

"Hi I'm Johnny Knoxville, and today I'm gonna defecate on this mint MIP 4x4 conversion before mailing it out to that retard RC freak who bought it to me via eBay for $1300 yesterday"

Paul
I definitely had the urge to look around for a hidden camera thats for sure. Come to think of it I suppose it could have been manure of the bovine variety. Maybe the seller lived on a farm and drove it around scaring the livestock or something. Though it had that distinct smell like the inside of a Porta-Potty on a hot day. Having my shirt up over my nose didn't help much I know that. Image

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

This drives me crazy grrrr.... I mean really?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I have seen this exact "repair" on many Mids. I guess people were too lazy or cheap to get a new bulkhead. That's fine, but there are much cleaner ways of making this repair.