Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by Halgar »

Dadio wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:28 am Lorry (truck) racing on motorways , over here in the UK we have a 60mph speed limit for Lorry's on the motorway , all Lorry's have a govoner to stop them going faster , over on the continent it's almost the same but it's in Kph , almost the same as in its actually 58mph , so some Lorry's that do intercontinental haulage are on our roads and governed to 58mph , none of these governors are totally exact so there's some that go a tad faster and some a tad slower , this leads to having two out of three lanes of a motorway being taken up by a lorry that's overtaking another lorry at a net speed of 1 yard a minute while all the cars legally allowed to do 70mph queue up to try and get by in the remaining lane , there really should be a law against it as it just drives stress levels of car drivers through the roof .
Being accustomed to large vehicles, and I grew up in a family business that dealt with big rigs, I have a high respect for big rig drivers and that absolute shyte show displayed in front of them by the average driver. Do I think that big rig drivers are angels, absolutely not, but they're driving an 80K gross vehicle weight rig, I'm driving a 7K GVW rig, I'm not about to get in their way, cut them off, stay in a blind spot, what-have-you. In fact, I follow many of the same courtesies that big rig drivers offer each other, such as flashing lights when it's clear for them to get in front of me, staying the F off of their passenger side, or spending as little time there as possible, and I never, and I mean NEVER get in front of a big rig without being a good 5 or 6 car lengths (my car, which is a Suburban) in front of them. And I won't get in front of them at all if traffic is slowing.

I mentioned GVW earlier in this post, and I think that this is a HUGE (no pun intended) issue with the average driver. They have absolutely no clue what it takes for a large vehicle to stop, whether that's a big rig or an SUV, they only know that their little Honda or Prius will stop on a dime, well, you can stop on all the dimes you want, those of us in larger vehicles will collect your change when we take quarters, dollars, and hundred dollar bills to stop behind your stupid arses!
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

1911Colt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 am Seems like stupid drivers are a universal problem. :lol: I agree with what others have said on the subject of slow cars imposing their idea of the speed limit on everyone else and will add another from the opposite perspective. I don't get the tailgaters who think they can intimidate me into solving a problem I didn't create. I am sorry that you are the 93rd car stuck in a horrendous line of traffic, but tailgating the s--- out of me with your brights on won't fix anything. I am the 92nd car stuck in the same damn mess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I only get irritated at the person in front of me that is seriously lagging behind other traffic. Rest assured, everyone of the 90+ vehicles behind said idiot are fuming at the idiot who won't heed the lane.

I am always amazed when I have to use the middle and/or slower lanes to pass the "speed" lane, and like you said, it's one idiot at the front holding up the line who wants to go faster, and they just have absolutely no F'ing clue. Heck, I spend more time in the carpool lane as a single driver than I do in any other lane of the highway, simply because the carpool lane is the only lane moving, let alone moving at speed.

If you talk to any cop in the US, they will tell you that the speed lane is for speed, if you can't stay up with the flow of traffic, get your butt over! This is actually the law for ALL lanes of the highway, if you can't do what the flow of traffic is doing, you belong in the lane closest to the right.

Alternatively, you are required to get over for merging traffic (highway on ramp) or if there is an emergency situation on the side of the road, just as merging traffic (on ramps) are required to be up to the speed of traffic by the time the leave the ramp. While there are times that this is not possible, those times are very few and very far between.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Halgar wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:11 am
Dadio wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:28 am Lorry (truck) racing on motorways , over here in the UK we have a 60mph speed limit for Lorry's on the motorway , all Lorry's have a govoner to stop them going faster , over on the continent it's almost the same but it's in Kph , almost the same as in its actually 58mph , so some Lorry's that do intercontinental haulage are on our roads and governed to 58mph , none of these governors are totally exact so there's some that go a tad faster and some a tad slower , this leads to having two out of three lanes of a motorway being taken up by a lorry that's overtaking another lorry at a net speed of 1 yard a minute while all the cars legally allowed to do 70mph queue up to try and get by in the remaining lane , there really should be a law against it as it just drives stress levels of car drivers through the roof .
Being accustomed to large vehicles, and I grew up in a family business that dealt with big rigs, I have a high respect for big rig drivers and that absolute shyte show displayed in front of them by the average driver. Do I think that big rig drivers are angels, absolutely not, but they're driving an 80K gross vehicle weight rig, I'm driving a 7K GVW rig, I'm not about to get in their way, cut them off, stay in a blind spot, what-have-you. In fact, I follow many of the same courtesies that big rig drivers offer each other, such as flashing lights when it's clear for them to get in front of me, staying the F off of their passenger side, or spending as little time there as possible, and I never, and I mean NEVER get in front of a big rig without being a good 5 or 6 car lengths (my car, which is a Suburban) in front of them. And I won't get in front of them at all if traffic is slowing.

I mentioned GVW earlier in this post, and I think that this is a HUGE (no pun intended) issue with the average driver. They have absolutely no clue what it takes for a large vehicle to stop, whether that's a big rig or an SUV, they only know that their little Honda or Prius will stop on a dime, well, you can stop on all the dimes you want, those of us in larger vehicles will collect your change when we take quarters, dollars, and hundred dollar bills to stop behind your stupid arses!

In general I have respect for all drivers who drive courteously , I spent 12 years in the AA as a mobile mechanic and recovery technician , my office was the hard shoulder if motorways and I spent great deal of time towing cars so I'm fully aware of the dificultys of driving a vehicle that is heavily laden and lacks manoeuvrability and has a speed limit lower than that of a car , I stand by my comment on lorry racing .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Halgar wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:31 am
1911Colt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 am Seems like stupid drivers are a universal problem. :lol: I agree with what others have said on the subject of slow cars imposing their idea of the speed limit on everyone else and will add another from the opposite perspective. I don't get the tailgaters who think they can intimidate me into solving a problem I didn't create. I am sorry that you are the 93rd car stuck in a horrendous line of traffic, but tailgating the s--- out of me with your brights on won't fix anything. I am the 92nd car stuck in the same damn mess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I only get irritated at the person in front of me that is seriously lagging behind other traffic. Rest assured, everyone of the 90+ vehicles behind said idiot are fuming at the idiot who won't heed the lane.

I am always amazed when I have to use the middle and/or slower lanes to pass the "speed" lane, and like you said, it's one idiot at the front holding up the line who wants to go faster, and they just have absolutely no F'ing clue. Heck, I spend more time in the carpool lane as a single driver than I do in any other lane of the highway, simply because the carpool lane is the only lane moving, let alone moving at speed.

If you talk to any cop in the US, they will tell you that the speed lane is for speed, if you can't stay up with the flow of traffic, get your butt over! This is actually the law for ALL lanes of the highway, if you can't do what the flow of traffic is doing, you belong in the lane closest to the right.

Alternatively, you are required to get over for merging traffic (highway on ramp) or if there is an emergency situation on the side of the road, just as merging traffic (on ramps) are required to be up to the speed of traffic by the time the leave the ramp. While there are times that this is not possible, those times are very few and very far between.
In the UK it's now actually illegal to be in the fast lane unless overtaking or it's bumper to bumper traffic , or even in the second lane , I often when traveling properly in the slow lane have to move over two lanes in order to overtake someone in the second lane , then move back two lanes once safely in front of the , often as not there's two or three cars behind me do the same and they still remain in the second lane , I think the mentality is that the slow lane is for Lorry's only . I know I've just posted twice about road annoyance but with the driving experience I have (including towing a taxi on a rigid pole when the driver fell asleep at the wheel) I don't get road rage .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

[/quote]

In the UK it's now actually illegal to be in the fast lane unless overtaking or it's bumper to bumper traffic
[/quote]

I was in Germany from late 89 to early 91 (USAF) and that was the rule there at that time. It worked quite well. I loved driving in Germany vs USA.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

1911Colt wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:16 am
In the UK it's now actually illegal to be in the fast lane unless overtaking or it's bumper to bumper traffic
[/quote]

I was in Germany from late 89 to early 91 (USAF) and that was the rule there at that time. It worked quite well. I loved driving in Germany vs USA.
[/quote]

It's only been a few years here and it's not really been noticed widely enough .

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

More irritating things:

Electronics - Everything these days has a microchip in it. There is no standard - everybody has their own idea of how it should be done. No common sense used in the design, or at least not designed for the end user in mind. Unclear and/or none-existent instructions for use.

Cell phones - Don't know about your phone or carrier, but I cannot block spammers! Oh, sure, I can go through the motions, all it does is turn off the notification that a spammer has assaulted me, it DOES NOT stop them from from calling, texting, or leaving voicemails. What is the frigg'n point? Can't delete them either, have to go into call history and delete that (7 key strokes and multiple menus), unlike legitimate calls that I simply don't want showing on my screen, Oh, look, a delete button right there!

Web designers - If you can't design a navigable site, why bother? If you're not going to put actual information on the site, why bother? How about pricing, even if it's only MSRP, but no, that would be useful and helpful info, can't have that!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Phone lines that give you ...
If you want this press 1
If you want that press 2
Etc
Etc
Never giving you what you want or anybody to speak to .
Web sites/web shops with no company telephone number , and no address , often no idea of the country they are in .

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Dadio wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:06 pm Web sites/web shops with no company telephone number , and no address , often no idea of the country they are in .
Right there are a couple things I first look for when browsing an unfamiliar web site/shop I've never used before. If those things are not displayed, they immediately loose my business/interest.
-Jerry-

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

- one time pass code text messages.
- dog walkers taking the time to bag up the poop then throwing the bag on the floor.
- ...or worse still, shoving the bag into my hedge for me to 'discover' with my hedge trimmer.
- re-releases.
- boxart builds.
- bog roll that insists on tearing vertically instead of along the perforations.
- flat-chested women (particularly in gentlemen's nature documentaries).
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Dadio wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:06 pm Phone lines that give you ...
If you want this press 1
If you want that press 2
Etc
Etc
Never giving you what you want or anybody to speak to .
As someone who designs and builds these IVR systems professionally, I can tell you that their purpose is to automate all the repetitive tasks that keep the operators occupied, and not dealing with REAL customer issues. This leads to two problems:
1) Systems that are too long-winded and wordy, and that have too many options and sub-options: If you have to go through three levels to work out where you want to go, and then you get sent to an operator, it's too much detail, and the system will be negatively impacting your customers.

2) Callers who just DON'T LISTEN to the audio played to them: The number of times people will accept a taxi pickup to an old address, that is PLAYED TO THEM, and then blame the system for not sending the taxi to the new address..... it would be laughable if it wasn't so inane.

I've seen many laughable client decisions over my 22 years building these systems... got many stories, but probably best I keep them to myself, or I'm likely to hear the snoring from here!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

dinglem wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:18 pm - one time pass code text messages.
- dog walkers taking the time to bag up the poop then throwing the bag on the floor.
- ...or worse still, shoving the bag into my hedge for me to 'discover' with my hedge trimmer.
- re-releases.
- boxart builds.
- bog roll that insists on tearing vertically instead of along the perforations.
- flat-chested women (particularly in gentlemen's nature documentaries).
Off My Lawn.jpg
Off My Lawn.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Off My Lawn.jpg
Off My Lawn.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

What about the repetative pressing of "0" trick to skip all the crap and get an operator?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Facebook MP ads that state "make an offer!" FBMP is not an auction site! Figure out what you want for it, and advertise it for that price! It is that simple! :roll:
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Minecraft and Unspeakable youtube videos on the television. 6 yr old influenced by his 12 yr old nephew problems.
-Jerry-