The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i kinda wish i hadnt seen it... i really do not need another money pit, lol.

i just hope gathering the rest of the parts doesnt cost too much.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

just found this post.. I was not into the BMX thing too much but... in the mid 70's my cousin had a Yamaha motobike. Quite rare now a days.. check this out.. My Son got this bike 2 years ago from us for Chriatmas. front/rear disk brakes, aluminum frame, full suspension:) Its a modern day Yamaha Motobike.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Nice bikes. I don't know how I missed this thread.
I had a redline 500B then later a blue (87 I think) Dyno D-tour with those cool handle bars. both were stolen(gotta love growing up in NYC)
I always wanted a pro performer in white or blue with the pink sticker set. I've been watching Ebay but can't bring myself to spend that kinda coin on a bike that will turn into another money pit.
The pro freestyle tour is pretty much the coolest all-time freestyle bike, I remember drooling at that one in all the mags as a kid. what was the original price on that thing? I remember it being hugely expensive, but then again, at 12/13 yrs old most things seem really expensive.
-Anthony

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Anthony, my first real BMX bike was a pink 87 D-Tour. I dont' remember what the original price on the PFT was, I know what they go for now, lol. I agree, definately the coolest freestyler ever. I've got the Dyno bars and post on mine, reminds me of my old Dyno that way, plus I'm not much into factory spec everytyhing. If you're still interested in a white Pro Performer, some idiot hit the BIN on my auction and now doesn't want to buy it. Total moron. So, I'm probably going to relist it, it doesn't need any work at all, it's ready to ride or display.

97T595

Post by 97T595 »

ONE WORD "RAD" SORRY HAD TO DO IT. ANY ONE HAVE AN OLD COPY OF IT. ALSO WASENT THE ONE BIKE FROM THE MOVIE on ebay recently. i have enough addictions to "old stuff" but i may have to take some pics of my bike. its an old tracker freestyle with 2 top tubes and gt style mags any one know anything about um. and thank god for beartrap style pedels, i think i still have marks from when i was younger on my shins from um.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Well, it looks like I'm the only one who isn't into the BMX stuff anymore. :D

I got that mostly out of my system a few years ago.

Here was a sampling of some of my prized possessions...
Attachments
blue_ripper.jpg
Fresh powdercoated '83 looptail PK Ripper
blue_ripper.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
blue_ripper.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
se14.JPG
Finished restored '83 looptail PK Ripper
se14.JPG (26.43 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
se14.JPG (26.43 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
ripper04.jpg
Unrestored, original '83 looptail PK Ripper
ripper04.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
ripper04.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
DSC01749.jpg
Crown jewel: the original JMC prototype BMX frame, serial number JMC XP1
DSC01749.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
DSC01749.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Now all I do with bikes is ride... :D

My only 2-wheel addiction now:
Attachments
ev3_bianchi_006.jpg
2005 Bianchi Reparto Corse XL EV3 with full 2007 Campagnolo Chorus 10-speed
ev3_bianchi_006.jpg (184.31 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
ev3_bianchi_006.jpg (184.31 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Eau Rouge wrote:Now all I do with bikes is ride... :D

My only 2-wheel addiction now:
Sweet ride ! You have to like Marco's brand. A brand born in the one of the most big European fashion city, Milano. I have just read they are parts of Grimaldi's group. :? By the way, why not a Merckx which seems to go better with "Eau Rouge"? :wink:
RC10WORLD

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

:D

Merckx is a tough get in the U.S., especially in this area. It's still an Italian bike, too. ;)

I've wanted a Celeste road bike since I was a kid, and finally got motivated to get back on the road after a long layoff. I didn't want an aluminum frame, but custom steel or titanium was too far out of my price range.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

JMC!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Unbelievable, #1? Really? Holy Crapola that is totally insane!

The other bikes rock too, but that is insane. Nice Bianchi.

I just built a new "commuter". I had a 94 Gary Fisher Aquila, sold it to a friend and he won't sell it back. You can't seem to buy rigid chromo mtb's anymore, so I built one based on a Soma Groove frame. It's even better than the old Fisher. Here's a pic. Since this pic I've removed the bar ends and cut the bars down one inch on each side. I love this thing. Gets me around the streets of NYC like a dream.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

MelvinsArmy wrote:JMC!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Unbelievable, #1? Really? Holy Crapola that is totally insane!

The other bikes rock too, but that is insane. Nice Bianchi.

Yup, it was pre-production and a race frame purchase directly from Jim Melton, himself. I was a part of oldschoolbmx.com when it started (before it was vintagebmx.com), and I had some pretty good contacts at that time. Mr. Melton is a super nice guy, and he must have taken a liking to me, because when I inquired about some of the JMC items he had left to sell, he told me about the XP1—which is different from JMC 001. This was the first ever JMC frame ever made—period. It wasn't sold to anyone, but it was used as a race frame for his bike shop's race team. It was a short frame ridden buy Ronnie West and was the first BMX bike to ever use sew-up tires. The 001 bike is a completely different frame, and was the first bike ever sold... this was the first bike ever MADE. :D

When I got it, you could still hear the dirt rattling around in the tubes, and had a tag on it that said "Ronnie." It was a mystical piece to own.

Unfortunately, I had owned the bike for about two years when I lost my job and had tremendous difficulty finding new work. I was at the end of my savings and I was forced to sell it to make my mortgage payment. It went to a good home with Jeff Haney, which is where the frame remains to this day.

It killed me to sell it, but it's one of things that ya' gotta do what'cha gotta do.

doug

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Hey, something like that is like a piece of art or history. Yes, you can possess it for a period of time, but you never really "own" it, you just take care of it for a while. You're a lucky dude, even if you had to give it up before you wanted to. I've bought some pads and a hat (the only JMC stuff I can afford) from Jim, yeah he is a really nice guy. Jeff seems like a cool guy too, he asked me about some of my car paintings once and posted my stuff on Lambo-power.com. His BMX collection is one of the best bicycle collections in the world, it's good to know that the frame is in such good hands.

Do you still have your PK's? Those are sweet bikes.

I don't think I'll ever sell my Pro Freestyle Tour. The others come and go, but the PFT is the bike I stared at in the Eddie Fiola ad and in the magazines for hours and hours as a kid. My all time dream bike. I'd sell nearly everything I own before I sold that bike. Probably including all of my RC's.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

even though its seen better days and i never ride it, my pk isnt ever leaving my possesion. looking back, i grew up on that thing pretty much.

cstmp8r

Post by cstmp8r »

Just came across this thread and thought I would chime in with my old vintage bmxer.. It isn't really anything too fancy but hey what the heck. Its an unrestored Schwinn predator I think an 81 or 82, from what I understand this was made in the states (Chicago) before they started manufacturing them over seas. from what some people at vintagebmx said. but seems to be in pretty good condition none the less. I bought it at a garage sale for the whopping price of 7.50. From the original owner. It was stored in their barn/shed for the whole time until I bought it last year and now it sits in my garage. It has a set of metal flanged tuff II's. which is pretty cool I think and the main reason I bought it. Anyways, on to the pics..lol..

[img][img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/cstmp8r/predator/DSC03379.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/cstmp8r/predator/DSC03380.jpg[/img][/img]

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

most likely gonna end up w/this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300102115885&rd=1&rd=1

dont ask me why, i just saw it and figured it was a decent price. the guy lives like a mile away... it looks to me like its one of the more pimped out masters and not the basic crappy version. its gonna take quite awhile to find all the right components to build the sport the way i want it anyway, i cant even get an old set of hp 48's for the price of the master.

before you know it i'll have every darn haro made and never ride a single one, just like my 10's.... i needa find a woman to break me down and make me sensible.