Coming Soon

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Coming Soon

Post by Coelacanth »

It just suddenly occurred to me that this is even funnier when you reconsider the topic title. Premature e-track-ulation?
:lol:
DerbyDan wrote:How about this layout from the 'Top Gear' team???

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I figured I'd toss a couple 1/10 cars out there to help show the size.
20130502_164508.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Did you toss 'em off the roof? Uh...toss...off... :P

Can't get my mind out of the gutter today...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:I figured I'd toss a couple 1/10 cars out there to help show the size.
20130502_164508.jpg
Looks great!!!, just a small bit of advice....go 10' wide on the lanes or you'll be bumping pipes way faster than you think-

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

10'? i'd have to change up the layout to accommodate lanes that wide.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

:D I think that looks awesome! That's a good idea to bring out the mower. You might as well get a grass runner out and do some laps. You'd probably get some ideas that way too. To give it a bit more width, all you really have to do is slide that hairpin after the sweeper (the one right in front of Jay Halsey I think?) closer to the camera, or to right about where he's sitting? That'll should make more rooom for those turns in the back 40? Another way to avoid hitting pipes is to not have them.
- Brian -

My Gallery

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

Hey Jason, When I made my track last year, I found that the difference in height between the track surface and the original ground level was pretty good for a soft track barrier. If you keep the grass a little higher around the perimeter, it'll slow you down to encourage clean driving but do no damage. That's a plus if you decide to take some "rarer" stuff out for a spin.
Classics rule, moderns drool

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, i guess i could try to get at least another 2' wider lanes which will give me around 8'. if you can't stay between those lines, you belong driving in the middle of a large empty parking lot. :lol:

there will definitely be no walls. just the grass edge inside and out.

i'll let it grow back in and try again later. i'm gonna have to redesign most of the back half to go wider on the lanes. i'm also a little worried about run off into my neighbor's yard.......

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Keep it to 6'

Thats regulation minimum width anyways. If you cant stay inside the lanes on a track that flat something is wrong.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

RC10th wrote:Keep it to 6'

Thats regulation minimum width anyways. If you cant stay inside the lanes on a track that flat something is wrong.
Go eight feet, that allows for the extra two foot beer regulation rule. Follow through, this is awesome. I so wish I had the space to do that!

Looks great so far Jason, The more pics the better.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I appologise for the temporary derailment of this thread & for my childish humour..... :oops:

Back on subject, looks like you've got a fair amount of space there for a decent track... i'm very jealous.... I can barely drive a car on full lock in circles in my back yard! If you was to mark out the layout in your cut grass with some plastic irrigation pipe or sand-filled fire hose, then you'd have a typical UK grass track! Maybe its worth trying different layouts on-top of the grass until you come up with one you like before digging up the turf?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

scr8p wrote:well, i guess i could try to get at least another 2' wider lanes which will give me around 8'. if you can't stay between those lines, you belong driving in the middle of a large empty parking lot. :lol:
You've never seen me drive, never even met me.... and yet..... in goes the knife.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

DerbyDan wrote:I appologise for the temporary derailment of this thread & for my childish humour..... :oops:

Back on subject, looks like you've got a fair amount of space there for a decent track... i'm very jealous.... I can barely drive a car on full lock in circles in my back yard! If you was to mark out the layout in your cut grass with some plastic irrigation pipe or sand-filled fire hose, then you'd have a typical UK grass track! Maybe its worth trying different layouts on-top of the grass until you come up with one you like before digging up the turf?
nothing wrong with some humor. :wink:

it may be another couple weeks before i can try another layout, gotta let the grass grow. but it'll give me time to think about it more, get feedback/ideas from you guys, etc. i do think if i keep a similar layout but just alter it a bit to accept wider lanes, i may flip the whole thing. run the straight stretch down the property line and put the sweeper up by the alley. i don't know how bad this will affect drainage/runoff, but from the center off of the sweeper, my lot drops off quite a bit right towards my neighbor's house. i think if i flip ends it may help since that short shoot coming out of the last left hander will not be out as far as the sweeper.
Incredible_Serious wrote:
scr8p wrote:well, i guess i could try to get at least another 2' wider lanes which will give me around 8'. if you can't stay between those lines, you belong driving in the middle of a large empty parking lot. :lol:
You've never seen me drive, never even met me.... and yet..... in goes the knife.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:P :lol: :lol:

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

I would run it a little as is. I started with a similar layout mowed into my backyard and while not quite as tight I worked on mine till I found it to be sized right to make it work with multiple cars. I did end up at mostly eight foot lanes but being tight in the technical sections can be a good thing.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Round 2.
20130514_161443.jpg