Red Fox - Hot Trick Repro - RC Lohas

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

NB25
Approved Member

Re: Red Fox - Hot Trick Repro - RC Lohas

Post by NB25 »

This is all great reading.... But here is what I want to know.... Emerson, when are those Hurricane wheels going to be ready for people to buy???? I have a carbon fiber RC10 that is just screaming for them!

In all seriousness. I think it is cool that there are repro's going on. There are tons of great parts being made that most people would have no chance to purchase because they just don't exist, or they are so expensive, that they are not able to afford them. Just my .02

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I want a Lamborghini. I'm just $400K short. I'd also like a painting by Raphael, but I'm a couple hundred million short on that. Oh well. I guess I'll have to live without for now. Life goes on.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I want to win Mega Millions do I think its ever going to happen NOT...... The big difference here is that there are people here that have been collecting for twenty years or more and then you have the people who have only been collecting for six months the guy who has been collecting for six months wants to have the collection that the 20 year collector has in one day for a fraction of the cost. If you have the patience you will find what your looking for I searched and searched for over three years for my first AYK Viper and now I have my third viper nothing is impossible. The bottom line is just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I want a Lamborghini. I'm just $400K short. I'd also like a painting by Raphael, but I'm a couple hundred million short on that. Oh well. I guess I'll have to live without for now. Life goes on.
Now being the caveat, but if you had the means what then?
Murphy3428 wrote: The bottom line is just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it.
Uh, it does if you can afford it- Barrett Jackson-

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:I want a Lamborghini. I'm just $400K short. I'd also like a painting by Raphael, but I'm a couple hundred million short on that. Oh well. I guess I'll have to live without for now. Life goes on.
Now being the caveat, but if you had the means what then?
Murphy3428 wrote: The bottom line is just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it.
Uh, it does if you can afford it- Barrett Jackson-
That is the million dollar answer if you have the means you get the golden goose if you don't your shit out of luck......

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

See, this is where I see more grey area than you and Scott ( taking aside his voracious defense of original ideas as an artist ) Take the 76' Corvette Stingray, couldn't afford it? That's ok, you could have an Opel GT- not the same, but the GT was basically a scaled down and watered down Corvette. 70 Mustang Boss got your eye, but the wife says the Ford FE will kill ya? That's ok, because seven years later she forgot all about it and you can get a brand new 1977 Toyota Celica GT!! Looks just like the Mustang, 1/2 the size-1/8 of the performance ( of the 302 ) and cost you as much-

I agree with Scott on the originality thing but I am less passionate about it, and I believe I know where you are coming from a few posts back about collectors and time collecting- but Lady Luck plays a huge part in this hobby, as does Uncle Sam's greenbacks- And if you have personally been collecting for 20 years, then you have been spending retail cash on kits, spares, Tecnacrafts and such and you were the first collector of rc10 stuff that I have ever heard of 8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

murphy3428 wrote:I want to win Mega Millions do I think its ever going to happen NOT...... The big difference here is that there are people here that have been collecting for twenty years or more and then you have the people who have only been collecting for six months the guy who has been collecting for six months wants to have the collection that the 20 year collector has in one day for a fraction of the cost. If you have the patience you will find what your looking for I searched and searched for over three years for my first AYK Viper and now I have my third viper nothing is impossible. The bottom line is just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it.
*Ding~Ding~Ding* We have a winner. Thanks Murphy, I couldn't have said it better myself. You hit the nail square on the head.

Reg, I haven't been collecting for 20 years, but I have been into vintage r/c for about 10 years. When I got in they were just old, obsolete cars. This pro-reproduction thing is a very newbie-minded attitude. Someone discovers a new hobby, sees some cool stuff, really wants it, can't wait for a geniune piece to come up, so... "Let's make it ourselves." Meanwhile those of us who have been swimming in this pool for years now get to deal with kiddie pee. Kids who don't want to get out of the pool to take a piss because the bathroom is "Too far away" or whatever.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Also, if someone spent retail cash for parts, don't hate on them, respect and learn something from them. Johnny Come Lately has no weight in this game. Back then it was paying too much for old parts that you thought were cool. Today those old parts at retail prices are called "scores".

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
murphy3428 wrote:I want to win Mega Millions do I think its ever going to happen NOT...... The big difference here is that there are people here that have been collecting for twenty years or more and then you have the people who have only been collecting for six months the guy who has been collecting for six months wants to have the collection that the 20 year collector has in one day for a fraction of the cost. If you have the patience you will find what your looking for I searched and searched for over three years for my first AYK Viper and now I have my third viper nothing is impossible. The bottom line is just because you want something doesn't mean you should have it.
*Ding~Ding~Ding* We have a winner. Thanks Murphy, I couldn't have said it better myself. You hit the nail square on the head.

Reg, I haven't been collecting for 20 years, but I have been into vintage r/c for about 10 years. When I got in they were just old, obsolete cars. This pro-reproduction thing is a very newbie-minded attitude. Someone discovers a new hobby, sees some cool stuff, really wants it, can't wait for a geniune piece to come up, so... "Let's make it ourselves." Meanwhile those of us who have been swimming in this pool for years now get to deal with kiddie pee. Kids who don't want to get out of the pool to take a piss because the bathroom is "Too far away" or whatever.

I think this is being a bit too extreme (and somewhat insulting)...

I've been in RC since 1986 and in "vintage" RC since about 1998 when I got my first paychecks. I blew them on two nib Monster Beetle and two Boomerangs (one nib, one runner), the MB because I had one as a kid, and the boomy as it was my teenager's wet dream (best looking buggy ever, still to this day!).

FFWD to 2009... I've got a pretty sizeable collection (including a couple more MB's amongst them a fully decked out runner, full Thorp and all, and another period nib boomy, ie i bought more in the meantime...) and Tamiya re-re's the boomerang. Well, I bought re-re's too with the idea of running them too, with beefier electronics and all, that made me pretty happy that Tamiya gives me a chance, and those that weren't as lucky as I was in 1998, to run one without any afterthought (as opposed to the period one whose plastics begin to crack all over the place)... So I'm both a hardcore enthusiast and a "kiddie pee" case...

If what we want is the hobby to make people happy (it's all little plastic toy cars after all...), then I think the rere'ers and repro'ers are making a lot of people happy... If we feel bitter because some people copy stuff and we think that makes our own original pieces less valuable, then it means it's likely a complex mix of greed and jealousy that's driving us as collectors and that's just not right :?

I don't think the guys who owns a Raffaelo and a lambo couldn't care less about those that pimp out Fieros to turn them into Diablos and those that have printouts of the Sixtine Chapel (sorry, not sure how to say this in English) pinned on their bathrooms' doors ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Sorry to be extremely insulting to you Paul, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying. As long as we're talking about insulting each other, do me a favor and read the rest of this discussion so I don't have to keep repeating myself over and over again. You seem to only be replying to what I said in my last reply, which I find a bit insulting.

1. I'm not against Tamiya or any other brand remaking their products and I have never said that I was. I too own a couple of the Tamiya re-releases. I'm against people remaking other peoples' products.

2. Yeah, these are little plastic toys, I agree. But then you also have to use that reasoning to say that The Sistine Chapel is nothing more than colored plaster. :wink:

3. You're right nobody cares about a poster of a work of art or thinks that it's ripping off the original. Just like nobody would think a poster of a Monster Beetle is ripping off Tamiya. It's when you make a copy of the painting that people get really, really upset. Get it?

4. Money. Really? You think I and other collectors think of our collections as investments? Only a total moron would invest in radio controlled cars. This has nothing to do with monetary value. That's all I've got to say about that.

Scott

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I don't see were my OPINION is anymore extreme than your opinion Paul,you see I don't take anybodies opinion personally because they have the right to there own opinion no ones views on the matter is right nor wrong there is no rc collectors rule book out there.I also don't feel anybody needs to appolgize to anybody for there opinion...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:This pro-reproduction thing is a very newbie-minded attitude.
i don't think i'd go that far.

have you taken notice to some of the ebay auction ending prices and the people that won them? there's alot of new guys......... atleast new to buying vintage parts on ebay, that have absolutely NO problem dropping serious coin on stuff they want. the $120 nip 3 piece c.e./worlds front rims of cedric's comes to mind.

then you have guys like me, that have been in this hobby for over 20 years that have no problem spending stupid money on stuff they want (like the $17.00 i just dropped on a part just to get one little decal out of it's package), and also have no problems with guys reproducing parts.

it all boils down to the fact that guys WILL REPRODUCE PARTS whether people like it or not. if you don't like the fact that they're out there because you don't want to end up with them one day, all you can do is never buy anything that isn't new in it's unopened original package with the original header card.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, I know newer guys pay big bucks for old parts too. The more new people get into the hobby, the higher those prices will get. Supply and demand. I'm not saying all newer guys are pro-reproduction or whatever, I'm just saying the pro-reproduction attitude is generally coming from those who haven't been around very long.

I know people are gonna reproduce parts no matter what. Instant gratification is part of human nature, a negative part. This doesn't mean I have to sit silent on the side lines and accept it just because everyone else does. Screw that. I don't like it and the day I roll over and accept it will be a pretty chilly day in hell.

Your only buy NIB parts solution is not a real solution either. It's much easier to make a fake header card than it is a hard part.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Your only buy NIB parts solution is not a real solution either. It's much easier to make a fake header card than it is a hard part.
ya, maybe.

but if it were myself reproducing......... lets say rc10 rear arm mounts to exact specs, i sure as hell wouldn't want hide my hard work, time, and investment behind a team associated header card.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, that's you. We can only speak for ourselves I suppose. It's not you that I'm worried about Jason.