Gene Husting's Trophy Girl Car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Re: Gene Husting's Trophy Girl Car

Post by vintage AE »

So more on the build rather than the hotness that makes it okay to sport wood when looking at a cool RC10.

I got the cage painted and mesh in place. I know, I know, get that body painted already and apply those stickers before I drink too make cold ones.

If anyone can figure out the shock mounts, that would nice. Rod and I came up with Kyosho hardware from BITD, but who knows. I'm just putting this out there too...if anyone knows what the seat, dash, and steering wheel is from or just happen to have them sitting around I could really use them or would at least know what they are and where to get them.
DSCN2266.JPG
DSCN2267.JPG

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the rear shock hardware just looks like a black oxide washer, followed by a black oxide standard 4-40 nut, the shock and standard shock bushing(dyed, and installed backwards) and then just a standard bright finish washer and nyloc nut.

as for the fronts, the bushing does look like a different manufacturer, maybe tamiya. I know I've seen a bushing that was longer, had a hex in the middle of the 'big' end. looks like the nut might have just been painted black.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

jwscab wrote:the rear shock hardware just looks like a black oxide washer, followed by a black oxide standard 4-40 nut, the shock and standard shock bushing(dyed, and installed backwards) and then just a standard bright finish washer and nyloc nut.

As for the fronts, the bushing does look like a different manufacturer, maybe tamiya. I know I've seen a bushing that was longer, had a hex in the middle of the 'big' end. looks like the nut might have just been painted black.
The back for sure is easy 4-40 hardware but the front are metric 3mm and the black shouldered nut looks like a Kyosho. I have seen the ball type shock bushing somewhere, but just can't put my finger on it! That should not be hard to recreate though!

Looking good Anthony!

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I was in the LHS today to get something to duplicate the black stuff inside the cage to keep it in place. Rod and I came up with styrene, and after looking at the photos from the original car we found evidence that the whole interior is made of styrene....even the cage itself.

Looks like my brass cage is now going to be a prototype. I've never worked with it before so I'm going to watch some youtube videos and play around a bit. I will likely continue with the prototype cage and use it to work on the interior. Also, I will be getting the body masked and painted.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Has 3D printing been suggested for reproducing the roll cage? Seems like it would be the perfect method depending on cost.

Edit: Or an even simpler DIY solution:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21876&start=15#p218496

You could even use the brass cage to make the mold.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Got to be as close to original as possible! :P :mrgreen:

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

vintage AE wrote:I was in the LHS today to get something to duplicate the black stuff inside the cage to keep it in place. Rod and I came up with styrene, and after looking at the photos from the original car we found evidence that the whole interior is made of styrene....even the cage itself.

Looks like my brass cage is now going to be a prototype. I've never worked with it before so I'm going to watch some youtube videos and play around a bit. I will likely continue with the prototype cage and use it to work on the interior. Also, I will be getting the body masked and painted.

I would think working with Styrene would be easier to make the cage and now that you have a cage to mock it after your set. Use plastic weld for your joints. The suff works great and what doesn't weld, it just evaporates leaving a clean joint. Good luck!

http://www.utrechtart.com/Plastruct-Plastic-Weld-Solvent-Cement-for-General-Plastics--2-oz-MP81102-i1016311.utrecht?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=81102

BTW, it is looking really really nice! :wink:
Jeff

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Yeah, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to make a cage out of styrene with the brass cage already made. The link came up with a "this product is no longer available" message, could ya give me another source?

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Jeff

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Cool, thanks!

Rod hooked me up with the solvent cement from MBS (Model Builders Supply), which is the same pretty much. I think after learning about how this stuff works I will be able to duplicate the interior pretty good. I'm very frustrated with spending so much time on the brass cage though. I felt like I was set back a few days ago, but now I feel like I cant move forward with the interior like I want because I feel like I will be doing a lot of things twice. I'm going to move forward with the painting, but not sure about the interior...I'll feel it out and see I guess.

I nailed that cage though ............................................................................................................................................ and now I got to do it again.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

You sure did nail it Anthony! It looks so much better than the pics guys, I was lucky to have seen it in person today! I'm very jealous!

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

I was thinking I might have a steering wheel that will fit the bill on this. I will check tonight when I get home and post a picture of it. It was from a kit that I parted out.
Jeff

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

That would be good. I thought I had a steering wheel but I sold it a couple years ago.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

PM sent... :wink:
Jeff

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

my eyes aren't the best anymore, but the front shock hardware looks to be the same as the boxart car, just painted black.