Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

Post by DennisM »

Exactly :D
Yes there was a centershaft conversion for the GP10 - moved the shaft to the center and got rid of the small belts.
Gone fishing

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Maybe even Yuichi Kanai him self doesn't remember the specific intention for that thing on the T.burns. Would be cool to find out though.

Hey can anyone confirm that the special disk brake rotor 39306 is a direct fit for the burns series? I'm seeing it referenced only with the GP10, but then I saw someone posted a picture of it in here.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

I recently took some new photos in my new light booth. The coloring is still greenish yellow and dingy. It makes the whites look yellowed. I still need to learn how to correct for that.
Attachments
Capture12.JPG
Capture11.JPG
Capture10.JPG
Capture9.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Looks great!

Did you cut the exhaust spout?

The colours don't look too bad, but they should be easy to tweak in photoshop or your cameras software anyway.

I'm installing the same chassis. I'm literally finishing it tonight, so it can see some action at the track tomorrow.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Nice Burns, Lavigna - You really ought to clean it a bit before You shelf it :mrgreen:
Gone fishing

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Thank you both. I did trim the exhaust outlet at an angle so that it clears the lexan shield. I didn't want to cut either the lexan or the exhaust, but I had to choose one. The lexan is original, and I didn't know if I would ever find more with this same tint. I decided to trim the exhaust because I thought it would be the cleanest looking option. Not sure I made the right choice though.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Yep, we know all about those irritating decisions we have to make sometimes. As per the instructions you have to trim the side-guard to fit the exhaust, just as you have trimmed it to fit the body and chassis anyway. The only problem would arise if you changed to a muffler with a spout coming out from the front, but even then, I doubt kyosho makes the lexan, they just packaged the stuff and it's easy enough to find. But don't feel bad, since it's for a shelf queen and it's polished, you can always have it welded back on and finished in the same way.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Lavigna,
that is a stunning model. Congrats!

I have taken a long brake from the hobby, but sat down over the past few weeks to finish up the Kyosho Inferno Wikipedia article which I mentioned and linked in this thread back in Nov. 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyosho_Inferno

As the Inferno and Turbo Inferno were discussed in this thread a few times I thought there might be a few interested folk here. My focus was on the Infernos up to and including the MP5/MP6 but have tried to provide information on all of them up utnil the MP10 which will be released this month.

For any Inferno enthusiasts reading this, please feel free to make changes and additions directly in the article.

The same goes for the Kyosho Burns article which I published a while back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyosho_Burns

Thanks for keeping these old cars alive!
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Lexster76 - Thanks so much for all the work you put into the Wikipedia. It is a great source of information on. The Burns and early Inferno series are such classic cars, yet it can be hard to find information on them.

Open Question - I just recently noticed that when I Google "Kyosho Turbo Burns" and then look through the images, not a single image from this thread shows in the search results. Same thing for all my other threads in the Losi and RC10T sections. Do photos need to somehow be tagged in order for them to be shown in a Google search? I am just curious how this works? Thanks.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Turbo Burns #2 - I haven't mentioned this build yet, but this is a second TB I recently built. It also is 100% new. With the exceptions of the upper shock mounts, it is totally stock. The body and wing (and decal sheet) are from Marwan.

I put a lot of time into this build as well, with polishing all the hardware and metals. I sanded and then polished the edges of the shock towers and hinge pin capture plates. It is a small, but cool detail when you spot it in person.

I am not sure what to do with this second TB. I am currently hunting parts for a Turbo Inferno build, and I really don't need a second TB. If you may be interested in it, feel free to send me a PM. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
20190120_201847.jpg
20190120_201812.jpg
20190120_201655.jpg
20190120_201601.jpg
20190120_201518.jpg
20190120_195543.jpg
20190120_195448.jpg
20190120_195156.jpg
20190120_195117.jpg
20190120_195034.jpg

Hoseman50
Approved Member

Post by Hoseman50 »

I can’t believe you have a second turbo burns built up.
It looks amazing, your photographs really do it justice, it looks like something straight from a Kyosho brochure, hats off to you.
You have trimmed your body shell perfectly, how do you you get such sharp clean edges, especially around the front shock tower?
After much pondering, I have decided to attempt to paint my shell box art.
Does anyone have any masking patterns, or is it case of trial and error making your own. I have some sheets of Tamiya masking which I was hoping someone might have some patterns I could trace onto them.
Thanks for any hints or tips in advance.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

You can pretty much sand the edges to perfection if your cuts are not all there. Kyosho even has a special sanding tool for that. The box art is micron line tape with sky blue and blue. Pactra trim line can also be used with pactra blue streak and tamiya sky blue... and white of course. Some lines are way too thick in the last one I made but I can live with it.
Attachments
IMG_0435.JPG

Hoseman50
Approved Member

Post by Hoseman50 »

Dimitri: that is a beautiful paint job.
I have used pactra and Tamiya paints for years, but I have never come across the pactra trim line, after a quick google I must now get some.
Please excuse my ignorance, I take it you mark out your design with the coloured tape, paint the dark blue detailing, vent on the side pod, then paint the sky blue, then the white. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Thanks!
Yes, the order you're describing sounds about right. I also used some mat varnish to dull the windows in the end.

Hoseman50
Approved Member

Post by Hoseman50 »

Just bought some TT22 trim tape but struggling to find the pactra paint on the UK.
Which Tamiya ps colours would you recommend?