Question about USPS

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tizeye
Approved Member

Question about USPS

Post by tizeye »

I'm waiting for a parcel to arrive but when I type in it's number I get this message:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 1, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I'm sure I've had this message before and the parcel has turned up while the site still said the above..has anybody else experienced this?

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Question about USPS

Post by scr8p »

i think it just means that the person has printed a shipping label, but the post office hasn't received it for shipping yet.

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Ahh ok..then after 10 days I should be asking where it is?

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

The number you get from the USPS is the delivery confirmation number and not a tracking number. I don't think it shows anything until after it has been delivered so it only does the seller any good. The only thing it does to help the buyer is just give them a piece of mind that it has had postage purchased for the shipment so it will be on a truck headed your way within a day (hopefully).
Keith C

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I think it also depends on the post office that it was dropped off at-- the equipment they have and what-not. For me it sometimes will say "SORTED at xxx (location) at yyyy (time and date)" or "OUT FOR DELIVERY" while the package is enroute. Other times it says the same thing you're seeing Pete, right until it's actually delievered. And I've had it take 12+ hours after delivery before the website was updated! The USPS tracking is not consistent at all.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

being from a small town and going to the post office almost daily i have talked to the postmaster about this. because u have seen shipments say that up until it showed up at my p.o. and she scans it in as arrived. this can be one of a couple things.

1. the shipper has printed the label but has not shipped the package yet.

2. the shipper has printed the label and shipped the package but usps did not scan the package into the system.

usps use to only scan packages as delivered a couple years ago. multiple reminders have been sent to all the post offices and sorting hubs, but like a lot of the employees of today they just don't do everything that they are suppose to do like scanning the package in when it is dropped off. by not scanning the packages like they are suppose to who does it hurt the seller or the buyer?

it hurts the seller because if the package has been shipped and usps did not scan it in the seller has zero proof that he shipped the item even though he paid extra for the service.

it hurts the buyer because what the buyer see's is that it wasn't shipped even if it was. so the buyer starts to wonder if he has gotten scammed or not. and there is nothing that the seller can do to ease his mind other than just claiming it had been shipped.

all scanable packages shipped through usps are suppose to be scanned at every stop point (hubs, sorting centers, post offices). but sadly it just don't happen. i have basically trained my local postmaster to scan them all in coming and going. and explained the importance of doing so. i am also the guy that insists on all his standard mail being hand postmarked before i leave.

what i find worse than the packages not being scanned in are the packages that get delivered and are not scanned as delivered.

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

usps tracking sucks..its never right...i have not had 1 usps pkg. that had a tracking # actually work....if you want good tracking use ups..it cost more though 8)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

LowClassCC wrote: it hurts the seller because if the package has been shipped and usps did not scan it in the seller has zero proof that he shipped the item even though he paid extra for the service.
You have proof with the receipt. Its not much but at least it shows that you did indeed send the package. I always make a point to ask for it if they don't automatically give it to me. Then I keep it until the package reaches its destination.

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

I just sent two packages one outside the states and both show updates for each day!

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Yeah that's what happens 99% of the time but on the odd occasion it turns up without being tracked at all..it's happened at least twice that I can remember..

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

USPS tracking is hit and miss so its more like pray and wait

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Well good news the Slash arrived today..managed to travel from one side of the World to the other without being scanned..if I check the USPS website the same message is still there..apparently according to USPS it still hasn't been picked up for delivery..go figure

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

What are your thoughts about those free flat rate priority boxes?

I had USPS send me a bunch and have used them three times now. Each time the price was a lot more than the "flat rate." :x My Father went to the post office with one today and he was charged a lot more as well. I thought the whole deal with them was you get charged a fixed price. He inquired about it and the postal worker went into a long spiel with him about how they are a scam by the post office and not to use them anymore. They also said that to ship in them costs twice as much if we just used a regular brown box, and they are given out free for a reason. They even suggested he go home and repackage it using a regular box.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Unless you are dealing with lead or very heavy parts :lol:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

dsmith wrote:usps tracking sucks..its never right...i have not had 1 usps pkg. that had a tracking # actually work....if you want good tracking use ups..it cost more though 8)
It's not a tracking number, it is called delivery confirmation. USPS doesn't have to do anything except confirm they delivered it. Sometimes it works like tracking if the package gets scanned at every hub it goes through.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!