RC10 engine upgrade what to go with and general question?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mickeydurkin

RC10 engine upgrade what to go with and general question?

Post by mickeydurkin »

Hello all, I'm as new as it gets to this forum. I received my RC10 when I was in the second grade and I'll be thirty this year. I have the original gold pan, but at this point i have the car together on a modified graphite body. (hand made from a trace. I have not been into the r/c culture for a few years and I am relearning the repair process. I have steering power with the remote and I have power to the motor leads out of the speed control, but no power to the motor when the leads are hooked up. I'm figuring the motors bad, if so what is a good replacement? Also is there a magazine that's good for build ups? I ask because I have a monster truck and monster beetle from around the same time maybe a little newer ( no idea what brand they are) The truck has a broken hub and the beetle sounds like a bad trans. Thanks in advance for your help in response. OH if pics help let me know I will post asap.

floodx
Approved Member

Re: RC10 engine upgrade what to go with and general question

Post by floodx »

Pulled mine out of my dads basement - 20 years later - had the same problem - motor wouldn't go. After diagnosing the ESC (old Tekin) and replacing - the motor still wouldn't go - fiddled around with the brushes, cleaning em, and making sure the wires were in good shape - revived the dead and as good as new - can't believe 20 years later the motors (a Reedy E'S and a Race Prep) still produce and run as good as I remember.

However if the motor is the culprit and your running the original ESC - you will have to look up your ESC's manual (assuming yours is not a mechanical speed controller) and see what it can handle turns wise (amps wise) before you get a new motor.

Did any of your batteries work after the long hiatus? I tried to charge mine (had 3 of them) but no go...found out that the new batteries are sooo much better than those old NiCd...
HH TQ10

mickeydurkin

Post by mickeydurkin »

Yeah I have a few batteries that still work. So would i be better buying a new speed control with matching motor? If so should I go brushless or stick with brushed? It's funny what parts decide to work and which ones don't. It would be so easy if it all just worked the way it did when I was a kid ha ha ha.

floodx
Approved Member

Post by floodx »

Depends what you have - mechanical or electronic speed control - if ESC what brand/model? 6-gear or stealth tranny? I found the manual online in pdf for my ESC and it was top of the line at the time - too bad it it was fried. Then just bought a cheap 15T ESC.

From what I understand the 6-gear original RC10 tranny won't handle a brushless setup - however the later RC10s (depending on model) came with the stealth tranny which could handle the brushless motors. I am running brushed until my wife lets me spend enough to upgrade...

From what I have read the original RC10 motor was a 27 turn stock motor - I have no idea what the Race Prep or Reedy E'S I am running now is - the Reedy says modified and had an orange (or could be yellow) dot sticker on it - not sure what that means.

BTW - appears everybody loves pics on these forums (as you can tell I am new to the forums too) - if you post em they will tell you exactly what you have - amazing amount of knowledge on here and what will likely work.
HH TQ10

mickeydurkin

Post by mickeydurkin »

im working on pics it keeps telling me my size is too big

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

Try posting through a hosting service like photobucket. Upload them to photobucket, then post the img link. Works awesome.

I ran a brushless testing out a 6 gear on my gold pan, and nothing exploded. It is a Reedy combo 4900. The store I got it from sold it cheap, and they have some lower turn ones. $103 out the door motor & esc.

http://www.hobbyetc.com/shopby/category2006.cgi?catagory_id=326&firstcat=Brushless

mickeydurkin

Post by mickeydurkin »

will do toasted just seems like photo bucket is having technical difficulties at this moment. Just my luck.....huh