Need a dimension on the RC10 HiLites...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Need a dimension on the RC10 HiLites...

Post by Eau Rouge »

Can someone with a micrometer and an original nylon KC HiLite handy give me the exact dimension of the inner lip of the face of the light?

Thanks!

dc

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Re: Need a dimension on the RC10 HiLites...

Post by skunk.werkz »

I just measured all 4 of the KC lights that I have in my bin, my micrometer isnt digital but from what I got the 'inside lamp' is 18/32nds with maybe a .001/.002 on the low side.

So 0.5625 to 0.563/0.564...I dont know why I havent picked up a digital unit yet :?

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Thanks much, HUGE help!

dc

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Are you machining new ones, or making inserts or something?
skunk.werkz wrote:I just measured all 4 of the KC lights that I have in my bin, my micrometer isnt digital but from what I got the 'inside lamp' is 18/32nds with maybe a .001/.002 on the low side.

So 0.5625 to 0.563/0.564...I dont know why I havent picked up a digital unit yet :?
I can't read a vernier scale to save my life, so when I espoused my love for digital calipers to a (bad) machine tools instructor in a college I never should have transferred to, he pulled this smart ass move and handed me a digital unit without a battery, as if to say "what do you do now?" So I told him I would do what anybody should do and plan ahead. He was a jerk anyway.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

That's like saying that you should only use a corded rotary phone because it's low tech and doesn't need electricity to run. Welcome to the 21st century. Things run on batteries. And most are better than when there was no electricity. I hate it when old people can't adapt to something new, then they ridicule you for not using it because it's old, and "that's how we always did it."

I love it when instructors can't let go of the past, even when nothing they are teaching is still used in any practical environment.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Yup, pretty much. He also cost me like a year of my life by telling me they would accept X number of credits from my previous school, and then only allowing about half that many, as well as thinking I would need to take manufacturing processes and a couple other classes over because they had a different title at the previous school. He would also use school equipment for personal uses, during class/lab time, take personal phone calls during advisement appointments, etc. He's probably dead now, or at least incontinent and senile, so I can always think about that and smile :)

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

In the instructors defense, despite bad attitude adjustments, mechanical vernier scales are the most accurate measuring devices. The digital units are nice and handy but can often be off by a couple thousands and are generally frowned upon for high tolerance work.

Vernier scales take some getting used to but once you know its like riding a bike! Im not even a machinist but I had to take a course at college for machining and aced!