Superior Racing Products SRP-1 Dirt Oval

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

railey72
Approved Member

Superior Racing Products SRP-1 Dirt Oval

Post by railey72 »

Got the bug to get started on this SRP-2 earlier this week. Actually, not sure if this is technically an SRP-2 or an SRP-1 v2. I'll let Doug chime in on that because this is his old rig. Showed up awhile back as a box of parts and I've kinda put it off because I wasn't looking forward to polishing the magnesium carriers. Once I got after it they turned out pretty nice but my fingers are a little sore. Reminded me why I don't like polishing :(

Anyway, here is most of it laid out. Some of the parts in the pic are from a Dominator but everything to build the SRP was there. Not positive but I believe the main differences are the chassis material and the arms. The SRP-1 had magnesium arms and these are more of a derlin. Once again, I will defer to Doug's knowledge on this.

railey72
Approved Member

Re: Superior Racing Products SRP-2 Dirt Oval

Post by railey72 »

Referencing the "way-back" search machine, here is Doug's SP-1 which is an absolutely gorgeous build. Notice the 2006 post date. :D

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=193&hilit=srp1

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

All of them are SRP1s. This one was just a later generation chassis with Delrin arms. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I just got an shelfer SRP-1, just waiting for it ( and Doug's info 8) ) Doug ( not Carter :wink: ) we seem to have similar taste in a few cars 8), Mine is all Mag-

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

The all mag cars are way sweet. That is what I was originally looking for but after polishing the carriers I was almost happy to have the derlin arms :D Not sure how long the polish job will last but hopefully the aluminum polish will help protect against corrosion for awhile. Not that familiar with magnesium. Personally, I like a brushed look better than polished but wasn't sure how to clean them up and still achieve an original look. Most of the car is built so I just need to snap some updated photos and post them.

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I just got an shelfer SRP-1, just waiting for it ( and Doug's info 8) ) Doug ( not Carter :wink: ) we seem to have similar taste in a few cars 8), Mine is all Mag-
BTW, that is awesome you got your hands on one. From what I understand these are a little hard to come by. Especially the all mag versions. Please post some pics when it arrives.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Superior Racing Products SRP-1 Dirt Oval

Post by Eau Rouge »

The best way to get a perfect original finish on the magnesium parts is a fine glass bead finish. it holds up for a little while, but it does oxidize evenly and still looks pretty good. Magnesium is a PITA to keep nice looking.

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Here are some photos of it mostly complete.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Nice tire selection!! I am pretty sure that Cutman doesn't have any of those in his collection 8)

Not going with foams Doug? As I remember, by the time this car came out the 1.5/1.7 tire was way past it's prime- ( not knocking it or the mini mags though :wink: )

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Foams would be sweet and probably much more correct but I needed something to put these mini-mags on and I don't have any foams that will fit them. :(

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I have some magnesium yokomo parts. As far as reconditioning, I was thinking of glass beading, and then dipping them in melted wax, and then peel or crack it off.

I would think wax would fill in the pores caused from glass-beading, and hopefully keep the finish a little longer.

cool car, I have a dominator or srp1 on my ultimate wish list....yours looks awesome!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

railey72 wrote:Foams would be sweet and probably much more correct but I needed something to put these mini-mags on and I don't have any foams that will fit them. :(
Yup, those wheels/tires would have been more correct on the original SRP1. By the time the woven chassis and Delrin arms came out, there was no one using the small, wide wheels. Looks fantastic, though.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

railey72 wrote:Foams would be sweet and probably much more correct but I needed something to put these mini-mags on and I don't have any foams that will fit them. :(
I can get you some foam doughnuts that you can put on the rims if you care to, It's killer either way :D

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Amazing! Those Raborn caps are the icing on the cake.