glitchyness i cant figure out

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

glitchyness i cant figure out

Post by victor_cathedral »

alright, i need help. :cry: i am getting a strange glitchy effect. its fine if i do nothing, but more often than not, when i give throttle or steering the car glitches around, with small full throttle bursts, and erratic steering. usually, nothing i now do aside from catching up to the car and turning it off, or turning off the transmitter will stop it. however, sometimes it stops on its own accord.

first i used this assortment of junky things: (that motor is a worn out fireball with max timing)
0301012205 [1600x1200].jpg

plus this esc
0301012206 [1600x1200].jpg

in this car
0301012207 [1600x1200].jpg

then i tried using
0301012208a [1600x1200].jpg

with this motor which seems new, and also seems to have all capacitors attached
0301012209 [1600x1200].jpg

and this servo
0301012209a [1600x1200].jpg

with the same esc in this car
0217011705 [1600x1200].jpg

however, here is the esc harness
0301012210 [1600x1200].jpg
this interference occurred with every combination i tried.

at first, i thought this erratic behavior was the receiver i was using in the touring car. or maybe the worn out motor, which had sucked a few screws and metal bits up from the floor because of the low ground clearance of the hpi car.

then when i bought the XXL receiver and tried it in the graphite car, with new motor and steering servo but the same old futaba transmitter, i was having the same problems. i figured it was the transmitter, so i bought the JR transmitter. STILL same problems.

even with a JR fm synthesized receiver and the corresponding XS3 jr transmitter, the car still had a strange problem of loosing signal in very close range. not erratic, but just going out of control in whatever direction it happened to be going.

i am not sure if i am using the wrong crystals, or if i am supposed to have some sort of capacitor on the esc? maybe it is the harness on the esc that is messing everything up? i bought the esc new whenever they were selling them in hobby stores. i have no idea why i modified the harness like that, must have been for that junky receiver in the 1st pic :roll: maybe the AM 75 mhz components i am using are not compatible? but then why does it also malfunction with the fm system that works perfectly fine in all my other cars?

i am really at a loss guys :? have any of you experienced the same glitchiness? i would appreciate any and all insight and help with this situation.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: glitchyness i cant figure out

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Motor caps are the most likely thing, but a bad servo-or a break in the wires-or trash floating inside the receiver

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

ill open up the receiver to check for junk in there, and order some new motor capacitors. i will also redo whatever is going on with the esc harness and re-test everything, thanks a bunch !!!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Seems to me the common part that has been used in all configurations which all give you the same problem is the ESC. I believe the Fusion required the use of a Schottkey diode. You may want to look at the manual to find out for sure. I believe it required 3 capacitors as well.
If you have all this on the motor, then my next move would be a different ESC.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Brandon G wrote:Seems to me the common part that has been used in all configurations which all give you the same problem is the ESC. I believe the Fusion required the use of a Schottkey diode. You may want to look at the manual to find out for sure. I believe it required 3 capacitors as well.
If you have all this on the motor, then my next move would be a different ESC.
do i put the schottkey diode on the motor ? i did notice two clipped or just short very thin wires coming out of the esc, black and red. maybe ill look up the instructions lol.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Yes, the diode typically goes on the motor.

badattitude
Approved Member

Post by badattitude »

Those black and red wires are not for a capaitor on that ESC, for sure. I believe they are for a brake light kit.

The schocky diode is optional/recommended on this esc. You should also twist the wires together to limit radio interferance. Also make sure your frequency crystals are good.

http://teamnovak.com/download/instructions/pdfs/fusion.pdf

I had a simalar situation with a Futaba Mag Jr FM, Novak explorer II and a Reedy stock motor last year. I put on all the capasitors and glitchbusters I could and still had glitches. Finally, switched to 2.4ghz and it all went away.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

tamiyadan wrote:i would ditch the older capacitor setup on the motor, remove the 4.7 cap and the 2 small ones and install a newer set of high freq ency capacitors on the motor. add a diode also if your not running reverse with that motor.

then test the motor on a battery and check for brush arching, if its bad examine the comm face and see how bad it is.

It is possible to have a defective servo cause shuttering, try swaping another servo in and see what happens.

you may want to swap out the Crystal set for new ones as well.
crystals can get damaged and cause shuttering as well.

try this first and report back
aye aye captain !!! :lol: new capacitors en route now

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks like a lot of breaks in the wires(says the guy who once used speaker wire to put a connector on an SCR pack :oops: ). That might be causing issues too. You may try rewiring a couple of electronics with high quality wire. There was a link somewhere(BrandonG's Integy link in the tech thread I believe)that had decent wire prices. One of the most overpriced pieces of equipment in general throughout the hobby in my opinion. Probably why I used speaker wire... :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

alright, i replaced the old motor capacitors with these new ones :
0308012307 [1600x1200].jpg
0308012309 [1600x1200].jpg
this seemed to slightly improve the glitches, however i noticed radio signal would completely drop out from 1 foot away if, while receiver loose from car, you raise the receiver antenna up and down :? also glitches still remain

so i fixed the crappy esc harness situation by soldering the wires ( instead of twisted together ) then individually shrink wrapping them at adjacent lengths ( instead of electric taping them all together in the same spot :roll: )
0308012310a [1600x1200].jpg

this did nothing to resolve the glitchyness :( so i tried these brand new 75mhz AM crystals i had ordered the same time i ordered the motor capacitors :
0308012307a [1600x1200].jpg

this actually succeeded in making nothing work :( so i try putting the one labled RX in the transmitter and vise versa, still nothing. funny thing, they are JR crystals, and i am using a JR radio ? but with a novak XXL sanwa receiver ?
0308012308a [1600x1200].jpg

these i guess are not supposed to be compatible, because when i tried the JR receiver the new crystals i bought worked fine.
0308012310b [1600x1200].jpg
im am confused, because with these crystals (below) the JR radio definitely communicated with the XXL receiver. ( these are also the same crystals i used in the setup on the touring car with an old futaba radio and what i think is a hitec receiver , with the same glitchyness )
0308012308 [1600x1200].jpg

although they did communicate, thats when i have the glitchyness. it works fine, until seemingly when the car reaches a certain angle in relation to the transmitter, or just the right amount of throttle and steering is input. or maybe when someone in china sneezes i have no clue what makes it do it.

what is also confusing is that it behaves in the same fashion with the JR radio and XXL as it did with the futaba radio and the hitec. this seems like faulty crystals. but if the crystals are bad, why when i put in ones that are brand new and definately work (JR +JR receiver) it doesnt do anything, like the car or radio isnt even on.

it SEEMS to work fine with the new crystals and using both JR radio and receiver. however, i would like to use an XXL receiver. they are cheaper than dirt now, and i think they are sexy 8) . is it the sanwa designation on my XXL that is messing everything up? i dont know what sanwa is, i guess im too young :lol: what should i look for in a receiver to make it compatible with my JR radios ?

thanks for all the help guys, ~big hug~ :lol:

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

victor_cathedral wrote: it SEEMS to work fine with the new crystals and using both JR radio and receiver. however, i would like to use an XXL receiver. they are cheaper than dirt now, and i think they are sexy . is it the sanwa designation on my XXL that is messing everything up? i dont know what sanwa is, i guess im too young what should i look for in a receiver to make it compatible with my JR radios ? :
Sanwa is just another name for Airtonics (In the UK it's Sanwa only i think) I use Sanwa Gemini/Exzes radios and to be honest they don't work well with other manufacturers crystals so that could be one of the issues.

Paul