FIBERGLASS BATTERY HOLD DOWNS...OEM...Back me up.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

qctires
Approved Member

FIBERGLASS BATTERY HOLD DOWNS...OEM...Back me up.

Post by qctires »

Fiest time the RC10 came out, it had fiberglass battery hold downs. And Two servo savers. Not one. Who can back me up onthis one. I know because I had it before.
...c'mon people...is this true or not? 8) :wink: :D

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

Post by liquorboxracing »

I believe you ! I am doing research on it now. I believe the battery hold downs were made from the same thickness fiberglass the shock towers were made from. I am going to call Associated on Monday to talk to them about a few other questions I have concerning facts about the early RC10 ( for my website info page ). This is a question I plan to ask as well.

My website info page. http://gassaninedesigns.com/id58.htm

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

liquorboxracing wrote:I believe you ! I am doing research on it now. I believe the battery hold downs were made from the same thickness fiberglass the shock towers were made from. I am going to call Associated on Monday to talk to them about a few other questions I have concerning facts about the early RC10 ( for my website info page ). This is a question I plan to ask as well.

My website info page. http://gassaninedesigns.com/id58.htm
Thumbs up for that.. That's a nice website you got there...Let's keep it alive.
Yes, thematerial they used was the same as the shock towers and they first came out with the diamond wing buttons. You do want to check on those too. :D :wink:
This posting is just for us AE fans to know the history of the real first generation or should we say first pruduction batch that went out on the market...

qctires
Approved Member

Wing Buttons

Post by qctires »

I got a link...I can't be wrong.
http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/manuals/ae_rc10/
Check page "0" and page "25" and look at photo 188. hahahaha!

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Re: Wing Buttons

Post by templeofspeed »

qctires wrote:I got a link...I can't be wrong.
http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/manuals/ae_rc10/
Check page "0" and page "25" and look at photo 188. hahahaha!
Next thing to find is the smooth, crystal clear gear covers... :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Not trying to pee on your parade here or anything, but photos in an instruction manual are of a prototype 99% of the time. Have you seen other pictures of those parts outside of the manual or outside of the first magazine reviews of the RC10? Or heard about people having those parts in the kit that they bought?

There are other strange parts from AE. Just study the original box art closely. Check out those shocks. I love those adjustable shock collars.

It's like this in a lot of other collector fields too. Like in BMX, there's a million things like this. One that I can think of off the top of my head is the Hutch Trickstar. The prototype and a handful of the very first run had very unusual platforms welded to the forks. They were later replaced by welded pegs. In the car world there is the legendary Lamborghini Jota which was basically a Miura SV with a huge steroid injection. That car was destroyed in a crash, but there are quite a few copies of it that people hacked perfectly good Miuras up to make. And, there are 4 legit Miura SVJ cars that Lamborghini produced after the Jota.

I'm gonna say the parts you're looking at are only prototypes. Prove me wrong. :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

all hail m.a. prototypes. box art and instuctions mean nothing. the box my graphite team car came in, w/ a stealth and hard coated shocks, has the graphite car from 89-90 with a stock trans, gold shocks, and a different chassis design than what was in the box when i opened it. the front shock tower was different, too. you also got the seprate instruction book for the trans, cause the stock one was in the main instructions. there is alot of stuff on the box of the org. kit that wasn't inside when you opened it.

these prototypes were raced before they were into production, just like they are today. all the team drivers would modify things, custom make parts. it's just r&d. they take a picture of one of those cars, and throw it on the box, with custom, r&d stuff on it. i remember when rcca did a write-up of the worlds car. in the same issue, they showed kinwalds worlds car. he milled down the chassis sides, practically eliminated the front of the nosepiece, except where the braces screwed on. there was a few other things, too. was the kit like that. no. it was an r&d car. a few weeks ago, there was a post of a car masami drove. i'm to tired to look and see what was different, but he also did his own custom tricks on that, also. was the kit like that. no. it was an r&d car. just my .02

SkidRowe
Approved Member

Post by SkidRowe »

HI qctires - I am posting a pic of the RC10 from the Original Box and I have Highlighted a few ODD parts. If you can show me a part number for these parts then I will agree with you that they exist. If you can't then they are just prototypes and thats it.

1- Rear shock tower - Not what you normally see!
2- Shock collars - I can't find a part number for these!
3- Silver shocks - Don't appear to be gold anodized?
4- Fiberglass battery straps - I can't find a part number for these either!
5- Antenna Mount - Havn't seen one of these before!
6- Shock bolt retainer - I know what it is but it aint where it should be!
7- Diamond wing things - Show me a part #

Not trying to offend anybody but if it doesn't have a part # then does it really exist? I have dozens of old Associated books/instruction manuals/parts lists/etc. and none of these oddities have part #'s. I guess it comes down to is that anybody can make a "prototype" car and say its original but to me an original car is something that can be built from parts that Team Associated actually made in production. SkidRowe

SkidRowe
Approved Member

Post by SkidRowe »

Try # 2 for pic

qctires
Approved Member

Prototype...

Post by qctires »

Well., I can't blame you guys if you don't believe what I am saying. I justso happend that in 1985, my parents bought two kits for me and my brother .which is the reason why I am lookin for those parts because I have had it once in my lifetime . I am trying to find parts for my RC10, not searching for a debate...I feel proud I had it...sorry for you, you did'nt. As simple as that. You guys can call me anything and don't ask me for part numbers. Here is the deal...if I can proove to you guys that what I am saying is true...
...you know what? Forget it. Go ask AE...Call them Monday. They know what I'm talking about. AND I KNOW WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT! I won't be that stupid to look for something that does not exist. This is one thing I hate about forums. Someone will come in and kill the fun just for a debate...WELL< IF YOU ARE REALLY INTO THIS RC10 THING>>>HOW COME YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?? :!: :?:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I don't think it's a debate on if the parts ever existed—I'm sure they did for Associated—but as production pieces, it's hard to say that they did if none of us have ever seen or heard of them. I owned an RC10 in 1983, too, and raced it every weekend, and I never saw many of those parts highlighted in the photo (also note the shock spring retainers and the set-screw collars holding the shocks on the shock towers).

I've been doing this stuff for a long time, and just because I have never seen something doesn't mean that it didn't exist. I think all anyone is saying is that there is a lot of history behind the original kits, and many of the pieces shown in ALL of RC car instructions are pre-production items. I have a half-dozen Custom Works instruction manuals that show parts that never existed to the public.

Now, if those silver shocks, Delta-esque shock collars and fiberglass battery straps show up somewhere for sale, then everyone will eat their words. ;)

Now clear gear covers were DEFINITELY real. Terrible, brittle Lexan at the time cracked easy, and they were a PITA to trim. Someone should pull resto versions of those buggers.

d

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

I am going to be having molds made for a few original driver figures for some vintage Kyosho buggies. My friends out at Fox Lite Plastics are doing the molds and vacuum forming them as well. I can a lot of small molds like this made in one run for an insanely cheap price. If anyone a good used un broken gear dust cover for sale I am willing to purchase to sacrifice on having a mold made from it. I do not want to borrow one as the mold compound will destroy it. But I am willing to buy it and pay to have the mold made, as well as pull some lexan repros' off the mold for sale. If anybody has one let me know. Within the next two weeks my driver figures go to Fox Lite to be done. Also Does anyone know if the 6180 drivers from AE are going to be discontinued any time soon? If so I may include that one in my lot of drivers as well.

On another note. About the prototypes. I believe I have a photo of one of the first 6 prototypes they raced. The box art car contains a huge amount of pre production run parts on it, but I do not believe it was one of the prototypes.

The pic below is to the best of my knowledge one of the 6 prototypes produced. It belongs to Gene Hustings and his Son Curtis. This photo is featured on the cover of Genes Video for 1984 from his video library. Note the chassis is one piece not two like the production version. There are no front nose support braces. Also note the shocks and rear shock tower are the same ones used in the box art, and the rear shocks are mounted upside down. The front wheels look to be off of a Tamiya Super Champ, and there is no bulkhead to tranny brace. The sway bars are not present either. All of the parts on this car were machined from virgin white nylon. Nothing was injection molded. Curtis Hustings did all the machine work on the parts, and practically built the entire car. I do not know if this prototype was ever raced and to honest if it were ever ran. I think it is safe to say that parts from it or from the 5 other prototypes did make there way onto the car used in the box art.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Prototype...

Post by MelvinsArmy »

qctires wrote:Well., I can't blame you guys if you don't believe what I am saying. I justso happend that in 1985, my parents bought two kits for me and my brother .which is the reason why I am lookin for those parts because I have had it once in my lifetime . I am trying to find parts for my RC10, not searching for a debate...I feel proud I had it...sorry for you, you did'nt. As simple as that. You guys can call me anything and don't ask me for part numbers. Here is the deal...if I can proove to you guys that what I am saying is true...
...you know what? Forget it. Go ask AE...Call them Monday. They know what I'm talking about. AND I KNOW WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT! I won't be that stupid to look for something that does not exist. This is one thing I hate about forums. Someone will come in and kill the fun just for a debate...WELL< IF YOU ARE REALLY INTO THIS RC10 THING>>>HOW COME YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?? :!: :?:
Calm down already, try not to take things so personally. I'm the one who brought up the prototype idea, I didn't do it as an attack on you, I just brought the idea up because it seems like the most likely story to me. I've been in RC since 86 and I've been collecting and watching RC10 stuff pretty heavily for the past 6 years. I would love to have you prove me wrong, it would just add one more cool twist to the RC10 story.

SkidRowe, it is very possible that if the fiberglass battery hold downs and diamond wing mounts did exist, they could have had the part numbers that the pieces we all now have. Since they have the same function and look similar, AE could have just substituted the pieces as specs changed during production.

liquorboxracing, I believe any-pre production machine, whether it's a mock up for a photo shoot, or an R&D car, or a racer counts as a prototype.

Now, back to the debate. I think this is going to be a fun topic. But keep it civilized, let's not forget we're only talking about toy cars among friends. :wink: :lol: :lol:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

liquorboxracing wrote:I am going to be having molds made for a few original driver figures for some vintage Kyosho buggies. My friends out at Fox Lite Plastics are doing the molds and vacuum forming them as well. I can a lot of small molds like this made in one run for an insanely cheap price. If anyone a good used un broken gear dust cover for sale I am willing to purchase to sacrifice on having a mold made from it. I do not want to borrow one as the mold compound will destroy it. But I am willing to buy it and pay to have the mold made, as well as pull some lexan repros' off the mold for sale. If anybody has one let me know. Within the next two weeks my driver figures go to Fox Lite to be done. Also Does anyone know if the 6180 drivers from AE are going to be discontinued any time soon? If so I may include that one in my lot of drivers as well.
What the vintage buggy world needs more than almost anything is JRX2 bodies. 8)

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

MelvinsArmy wrote:
liquorboxracing wrote:I am going to be having molds made for a few original driver figures for some vintage Kyosho buggies. My friends out at Fox Lite Plastics are doing the molds and vacuum forming them as well. I can a lot of small molds like this made in one run for an insanely cheap price. If anyone a good used un broken gear dust cover for sale I am willing to purchase to sacrifice on having a mold made from it. I do not want to borrow one as the mold compound will destroy it. But I am willing to buy it and pay to have the mold made, as well as pull some lexan repros' off the mold for sale. If anybody has one let me know. Within the next two weeks my driver figures go to Fox Lite to be done. Also Does anyone know if the 6180 drivers from AE are going to be discontinued any time soon? If so I may include that one in my lot of drivers as well.
What the vintage buggy world needs more than almost anything is JRX2 bodies. 8)
Man you are not kidding there! I have never seen a unpainted untrimmed clear one anywhere!