Recapturing a childhood memory

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

madweazl
Approved Member

Recapturing a childhood memory

Post by madweazl »

I first caught glimpse of the JrX2 in 1988 at the age of 13 when a kid roughly my age was running one up and down the street at my aunt's home. I was familiar with R/C at the time having received my first hobby grade vehicle in '86 as a Christmas gift from my parents, well, sort of. I had actually received a Tyco, 4wd Super Turbo Hopper under the tree. The return spring in the wheel (first pistol radio for the Hoppers?) broke shortly after running it the first day so we returned it to Toys R Us the day after Christmas. Of course, they didnt have any more in stock at the time so we returned it for a refund in the hopes of finding one at another store (none in the immediate area). After returning home (bummed of course), I went outside to play with some of my friends. We decided to run up to the mall (Montclair Plaza in Montclair, CA). There was a toy shop on the second floor (pretty sure it was a KB) that had a bunch of RC cars on the shelves at the time. We drooled over the cars and wished for the day that we may actually be able to purchase a kit. As we were about to leave, one in particular caught my eye. It wasnt nearly as fancy as some but the price tag was what I really noticed. If I remember correctly, all said and done the Tyco return left me with around $130. It just so happened that the kit on the wall was within that range. I knew I'd need a radio so I scoured the walls in hopes of finding something that would keep me within that budget. To my surprise, there was in fact, something available.

I ran home and immediately informed my father of the intel I'd recon'd at the toy store. I told him the prices of the two components and he let me know that they were out of my budget. It seems at the age of 11, ones concept of what can actually be purchased for $130 is a bit, skewed. Best I can recall, the kit was probably $99.99 and the radio was $49.99. Dad let me know that the tax on a purchase of that amount was actually pretty high and that I was actually about $50 short. Dejected, once again, I went back outside to play with my friends and their new Christmas presents. Busy with work, another week had passed before my father had time look into getting a replacement for the broken toy. I again started speaking of my find at the toy store when my dad brought up an interesting idea. He reminded me that my birthday was just a few days away and that he could probably swing the money necessary to buy the items I'd found if I combined my Christmas proceeds with what he'd budgeted for my Birthday. What an amazing idea! Off we went to the toy store! I immediately ran over and grabbed a radio off the shelf. It was a 2 stock Futaba Attack, and it was glorious! The car kits were behind the counter so I pointed out the one I was interested in to the clerk. Wow, an RC vehicle that would require assembly! It was twice the size of the Super Turbo Hopper and the box it was in was gigantic. What a wonderful combo, a Futaba Attack and a Panda'monium kit!

Image of a Pandamonium that I sourced online

Anyways, now you know how I got into the hobby but not how any of it relates to the early Losi's. Fast forward to 1988 at my aunt's place once again. One thing caught my eye in regard to the JrX2, the pinion/spur cover. Yep, the spur cover lol. It wasnt the incredible looking wheels which are still my favorite wheels of all time, not the awesome shape of the body, or the cool tires, or the incredible speed this kids car was hitting, I was hooked on the gear cover. I promptly went out and bought my first issue of Radio Controlled Car Action. In there, I found adds for the JrX2 and started dreaming once again. Another year had passed and while all of my friends were rambling on about the RC10 and Ultima, I was smitten with the JrX2. That dream became a reality on January 10th 1990, when my mother told me to hop in the car. I new it had something to do with my birthday but I never would have guessed my wildest dreams that what I was wishing for the most, was about to come to a reality. I vividly remember daydreaming while we were driving that she was going to pull up to a hobby shop and purchase that car for me. Well, that is exactly what happened! Though it didnt go down quite how I'd expected.

At the time, we were living in Crestline, CA and the closest hobby shop that I was aware of was Outlaw Hobbies, in Highland. It was about a 30 minute drive from our home and we were heading in the right direction to get there. Sure enough, we pulled into the hobby shop but, we didnt go into the hobby shop. Ah, too good to be true, I knew it. They were racing off-road that night so we stood along the fence and watched the races for a while. It was only the second time I'd seen cars actually racing (the first was at the Ranch Pit Shop when we were living in Montclair a few years earlier). It was amazing to see what these cars were capable of doing. About 10 minutes went by when a man approached us and started talking with my mother and he had an interesting sized box in his hands. Turns out, another of my aunts worked with then Losi driver, Dennis Taylor. I dont really know how my mother actually knew which car I wanted but I have a feeling this all went down by sheer luck, and how lucky I was. He opened the box and handed it to me. Inside was a JrX2, it was beautiful. Even more beautiful, yep, there it was, the gear cover! I was literally speechless. I didnt know what to say and even if I did know, I wouldnt have been able to say it, I was truly in shock. Dennis had actually helped me out a few times in the years prior to this, I just didnt realize who he was. He gave me my first charger that I used with the Pandamonium (a B&M Juice Machine) along with some battery packs that actually go me up and running.

This wasnt just any JrX2 though, it was actually a prototype for the JrX Pro. It had the extended chassis, red bell cranks, the longer front shock tower and shocks, H arms, and what turned out to be the trickiest part, the ball bearing diff gear. I had a hell of a time finding a replacement for that; they didnt exist according to the people working at Busy Bee Hobbies! Once again, Dennis came to the rescue. So now, on to the point of this whole thread. I had originally set out to buy a JrX2 to restore as that is technically what my first "racer" was but, it was in reality a JrX Pro so I figured that is what I should start with. And here she is:

Now, I didnt have a KO radio at the time. In fact, I've never owned one but the Super Steering came with the car and I figured it's a cool piece to have none the less. I did however own a Novak T4 so that was a nice bonus. I have a thing for box art restorations so that is the direction I'll be going with this project. I'll update the thread as the restoration progresses and needless to say, I'm almost as excited now as I was so many years ago.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Recapturing a childhood memory

Post by DerbyDan »

Great story madweazl! I think all of us can empaphise with you, with similar childhood memories of over-excitement, Model stores & lack of money to buy what we really wanted :D

The JRX2 (& the Pro version later) was my favourite 2wd buggy also.... they just look so light & purposefull! I can remember the first one I saw belonged to a friend - when he first brought it to the club all brand-new with its orange wheels & matching flourescent orange shell, I was in awe..... I'm still good mates with this friend & he recently gave my the remains of this car... I'm hoping to one day build it back up & hopefully run it! 8)

Keep us posted with pics etc on your rebuild - it looks a good solid base with which to start :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Great background story! You should be lucky as most parts for the JRX-Pro are relatively easy to locate-

Where is that gear cover though :lol: :wink:

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Great story Madweazl. I share your history somewhat closely and these buggies meant a lot to me as well. I'm working on my JRX2 right now.

PS I bet you will have a gear cover for that buggy :wink:

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I cant wait for it to arrive!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Great looking start for a buggy to restore. Fantastic story as well. I remember going into Ranch the day the JRX2 was released, buying one of the first kits (no pictures on the box, just the name JRX2) and staying up all night to build the car.

Are you planning a resto shelf car or a resto racer?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

JK Racing wrote:Great looking start for a buggy to restore. Fantastic story as well. I remember going into Ranch the day the JRX2 was released, buying one of the first kits (no pictures on the box, just the name JRX2) and staying up all night to build the car.

Are you planning a resto shelf car or a resto racer?
Plan is to make it a shelf queen.

Cpt.America
Approved Member

Post by Cpt.America »

Great story, I really enjoyed the read. I have to say, my very first experience in RC, and the JRX2 (my first RC ever) wasn't all that dissimilar, and those memories during that period of my life ('88) are some of my most treasured from my childhood. I too am building a shelf queen original 5link JRX2. I am almost finished aquiring my electronics, and my original lexan shell is already off at the pro painter getting a box art replica done. My thread is here on page 1.

keep us up to date as it progresses!
- Team Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I gotta get a body out to paint as well.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Such a great read! I am sure many of us share these sort of childhood memories, I certainly do, and reading this brought back all my happy memories of my first real RC car, an optima mid custom.

I guess because these experiences as a child had a massive effect on us at the time, this is why a lot of us on here are re-living those fond memories of days gone by....

I remember saving every penny I had for six months to save up enough to get the kit - in fact I still have the bank book somewhere with all the dates and the money I paid in! I was also lucky in that my dad loved model planes so he expressed an interest too - it was really OUR hobby :mrgreen:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:I remember saving every penny I had for six months to save up enough to get the kit - in fact I still have the bank book somewhere with all the dates and the money I paid in! I was also lucky in that my dad loved model planes so he expressed an interest too - it was really OUR hobby :mrgreen:
Snap! - my dad was into R/C planes too, because of the racing I was much more proficiant on the sticks than he was, so he built the planes & I flew them :D

It seems that through R/C racing, many of us learn't the value of money... & that by saving up our pocket/paper round money we could get just what we wanted... so aside from the mechanical knowledge we gained by tinkering with our rides - important lessons of life were also learn't. I often think kids these days have it all to easy.... they seem to get whatever they want whenever they want :roll:

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Finding the Pro wheels isnt an easy task. May just go with the 5 spokes since that is what I actually had. Surprised they're so much easier to find.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

There's no reason to pick. Own both the logos and the 5 spoke.

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

I just added a Turbo Ultima to the collection a few minutes ago. All kinds of things will be arriving in the next week; it's like an early Christmas!

Cpt.America
Approved Member

Post by Cpt.America »

Hey, I just noticed that you are in lakeside... when you were racing back in the late 80s, where did you race? I'm from San Diego.
- Team Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -