1984 Associated RC10 transmission upgrade, help!

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rbcross62

1984 Associated RC10 transmission upgrade, help!

Post by rbcross62 »

Hello,

I have an original 1984 Associated RC10 buggy with the gold pan frame. I believe it is a series "A", how do I verify this? I would like to upgrade the transmission from the original and I believe what I need is a stealth transmission. Is there something available today that will mount using some of the existing holes in the frame? Is there a specific part number that I should be able to order or search for on the internet? If not, would I need to drill holes in my "A" frame and then mount a new transmission; and if so, which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: 1984 Associated RC10 transmission upgrade, help!

Post by klavy69 »

rbcross62 wrote:Hello,

I have an original 1984 Associated RC10 buggy with the gold pan frame. I believe it is a series "A", how do I verify this? Under the motor on top side of chassis if its not on bottom side is where it should be stamped I would like to upgrade the transmission from the original and I believe what I need is a stealth transmission.Correct Is there something available today that will mount using some of the existing holes in the frame?No. unless you hop up a 6gear Is there a specific part number that I should be able to order or search for on the internet?just look for a 'rc10 stealth' on ebay If not, would I need to drill holes in my "A" frame and then mount a new transmission; and if so, which one?you'll need all new holes for the stealth. You can pry pick up a stealth template drill guide off ebay or wait around long enuf for b/s/t access here Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich
Rich,
welcome to the board. There are alot of helpful guys around here so no worries about what you'll need for information. Someone will definitely chime in and help you out if you have questions. Get up some pictures if you can and we'll help best we can. The only other thing you'll want is a stealth tranny brace that I can think of but "I'm not the sharpest exacto knife in the drawer" to quote another member here recently.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

vintage-tman

Post by vintage-tman »

to check the stamp ist under the motor behind the tranny and ebay is yout best bet you can still get the tranny gaers from rc10.com and towerhobbies. here is what i recomend, they dont make the original tranny case any more so go to rpmrcproducts.com and you will be able to find the rpm 2.65 tranny case with top shaft. on rc10.com buy the idler shaft and gear (6570) 45tooth diff gear (6500) and the b3 slipper assembley. bearing you will need are 4 (3/16x3/8)and 5/8 bearings for the diff and that should get you rollen and ready for brushless. i highly recamend the rrp steal idler because if you go brushlees you run a heathy diet of idlers :wink: good luck and have fun

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

I have an original 1984 Associated RC10 buggy with the gold pan frame. I believe it is a series "A", how do I verify this? I would like to upgrade the transmission from the original and I believe what I need is a stealth transmission. Is there something available today that will mount using some of the existing holes in the frame? Is there a specific part number that I should be able to order or search for on the internet? If not, would I need to drill holes in my "A" frame and then mount a new transmission; and if so, which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rich
First off, I'm new here and this is my first post!*mild applause*

There are options other than the "Stealth" trans. I, personally, never cared for the "Stealth" for anything but offroad racing. For anything else I always liked the 6 gear better. Again, this is just personal preference. Modding the 6 gear trans is fun in itself due to the myriad of aftermarket parts available. Lots of great stuff is available on Ebay, of course.

Personal choices for a smooth 6 gear:
Thorp 48p conversion kit(polished metal gears)
Losi ball bearing diff tube(pinned)
Notched diff rings

That's it! There are many other parts, gadgets, bells, whistles...for me, the parts listed were, and still are VERY effective.

pj81

Post by pj81 »

Where is the parts available? I searched online but can not find them. Is there another name for the thorp coversion? Thanks I am rebuilding a 6 gear for brushless right now - any other tips are appreciated

Thanks!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

pj81 wrote:Where is the parts available?
Thanks!
Ebay is your best bet. I've been seein them off an on over the last few months piece by piece.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

pj81

Post by pj81 »

Thanks! I will keep checking around. Its funny I have a ton of extra parts just not the ones I need feels like this is gonna be a new theme:-)

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Thanks!

Rich
You can pick up a stealth and trans brace on E-bay cheap. You will also need a drill template to drill the holes. Tower has all the parts to rebuild the stealth if needed. You can also use the B4 top shaft and slipper to upgrade . RPM makes a case that comes with a top shaft but you will still need a stealth for parts to complete and the b3 slipper parts are becoming obsolete.