My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

Post by DerbyDan »

I had a few days off work so took the opportunity get on with some of my R/C projects which included making a start on my new-build JRX2.

First, I dug out all of the parts that i've collected over the years. This collection was started following a purchase of a Losi Pro, JRX2 and large stash of parts from Ebay.NL after a tip-off in the BST section on this very site. Other parts have come from a truck converted JRX2 I brought from Ebay.US aswell as a whole stash of parts given to me by a mate who I race with & ran JRX2s BITD...other single parts have been purchased from members on here & Ebay.

Dutch JRXPro & JRX2 (H arm) - Pro Shell by Brandon, Original NOS JRX2 Shell & Painted Re-pro JRX2 (Mr Lexan);

Some new wheel/tyres;

More used wheels, tyres & other spares in this box;

Some of the spares that my friend John passed onto me, this includes the RW adaptors to run Yokomo wheels;

Some NIP stock motors;

The plan for now is to re-build & clean the JRX Pro (fit + Paint the new shell) - then from the rest of the spares build up one 'best' car from mostly new parts onto the best of the four SWB chassis plates that I have - this will wear the 'Proformance' kit inspired painted shell. This will have the Revolution motor.

I should then be able to build a 2nd 'good' JRX2 which will wear the NOS shell & wing kit (the original shell is creased & slightly cracked so i'm not 100% happy with that :| ) & will be built around the decent chassis which came on the U.S truck. This will be fitted with the Trinity Slot Machine motor :wink:

The third car I intend to build as a runner/racer. This car will run as many of the parts that my mate gave to me..... I like th idea of resurrecting an old car that I raced against, complete with home-made upgrades. This car will run the RW adaptors which will enable me to fit the Yokomo 2.2" wheels that I have. I may run this with a Brushless motor - so the Hydradrive equipped box will be required.

I'll keep this thread updated with developments/progress pictures as and when stuff gets done!

Comments welcome! :)

Edited to add;

This thread will concentrate on the flat graphite chassis Losi projects, I also have a Double X series buggy & truck - to which i'll dedicate seperate threads when these projects occur :wink:

geeforce59
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread

Post by geeforce59 »

Lovely treasures..... :D :) :P

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

Lovely collection there. Looks like enough for 5-6 complete cars there. I love the paint on the uncut body. I may have stolen that paint scheme for my JRX-Pro. :oops:

"It's not broken, it's British!"

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

you have been busy dan :shock: any textured chassis in that stash?

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Wow! :shock: What a great pile of stuff! I'm down to just one or two Losis but that is enough to make me want to start my collection all over again! :lol:
Gary

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Dear Santa,

For Christmas I want DerbyDan's stash.

Thanks,
Joey
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

LOL at JK Racing! :mrgreen:

I love your Pro 8rad, the colour co-ordinated springs etc work really well. My shell is based on the box art for the JRX Proformance kit... which I think might have been a variation on Gil Losi Jr's paint scheme - so if you were copying my shell, you were copying a copy :lol: To be honest our paint schemes are sort of 'typical' period paint designs which seemed to occur on Losi's in-particular
8rad wrote:Lovely collection there. Looks like enough for 5-6 complete cars there. I love the paint on the uncut body. I may have stolen that paint scheme for my JRX-Pro. :oops:

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Very impressive stash. I dont dare take a picture of mine that would be evidence at the divorce hearing :lol: if the wife really knew how much I had. you a brave man 8)
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Wow Dan, thats an awesome collection of parts & cars! You are gonna have some serious fun building that lot up!!! Looking forward to seeing some progress.

I've got some time off at Christmas and hope to actually start one of my XXT builds, I just cant find the time for RC at the mo :cry:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

bearrickster wrote:Very impressive stash. I dont dare take a picture of mine that would be evidence at the divorce hearing :lol: if the wife really knew how much I had. you a brave man 8)
LOL! Yeah its probably best that my other half doesn't see those images, but she's well aware of all those misterious boxes that are stacked up in 'my' corner of the spare bedroom where I work on my cars.

@ Ben, yeah i'll keep this thread updated with build pics etc... I must admit that its going to take a while (if ever) to get through this lot, but my Christmas project will be to continue with the build up the 'best' Jrx2. On the subject of XXTs - I been playing about with Liquid mask on my XXT body (never properly used it before) So I might get some inspiration to get on with the re-build of that once I have a sprayed up shell for it!

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:... So I might get some inspiration to get on with the re-build of that once I have a sprayed up shell for it!
I think thats the best way to do builds - do the shell first, then the chassis....

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

jamin wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:... So I might get some inspiration to get on with the re-build of that once I have a sprayed up shell for it!
I think thats the best way to do builds - do the shell first, then the chassis....
I can't tell you how many cars I have built because of tires I found :lol:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

So.... over the Christmas break I built up the first Jrx2 which was to be built using all the best parts that I had... in fact the only 'used parts' that were to be be used was the chassis, 1 pair of turnbuckles, 2 short thread balljoints, the outer rear hinge pins & the stub/drive axles (I actually had a new pair - but these had the wrong hole offset - see the variations thread)

I was going to enjoy this, so sat down with the instruction manual, my tools at the ready & a big cup of tea :D I was to build this step-by-step as per the book - as if i'd been lucky enough to have owned one back in 1988.

1) Select the best chassis... this one appeared to have had very minimal use - one run at the most 8) - unfortunately it does have two additional holes that have been drilled for servo mounts

2) This car was built using a couple of the 'Factory' Losi upgrades including ballraced steering & the original spec front bumper, which meant having to cut-off the 'lip' on my new front bulkhead.... all the other plastic parts were carefully de-burred too :wink:

3) Chassis build complete as per the manual

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

4) Onto the gearbox/tranny. Within the stash from the Dutch seller was this gearbox built up - ready to go - but I decided to strip it down & re-build to my own methods, re-honing the plates, white grease on the balls/black grease in the thrust, all the ballraces being blasted with motor cleaner & re-oiled :D

Note earlier brass top gear;

No-logo motor plate

Ali output spacers

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

I bet you enjoyed building that up Dan! Looks excellent, cant beat having new 'old' parts to use :-)