Brushless
29%
Lipo
71%

Total votes: 21

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Brushless vs Lipo

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well LTO Dave's post got me thinkin' (the neighbors called the fire department when they smelled the smoke :oops: ). Which technology would you choose if you could only choose one? Brushless or Lipo? Feel free to explain why. :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Brushless vs Lipo

Post by klavy69 »

lipo for the reason that you'll want it for your brushless when you get it. Lipo also brought my old brushed stuff alive. Easier and more efficient that NiMH batterys. I've known guys that locally went brushless and were kinda dissappointed with the stuff since it was so slow...using their NiMH :roll:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Wow, the polls are smokin'! :shock: :lol: I just came to check in and mention that I guess I could have thrown 2.4ghz into the mix. That's pretty sweet too. Also better than brushless IMHO. I've forgotten what it's like to grab a clip or hollar out "84?" 200 times before turning on my radio. :lol: Or for that matter being in the middle of some hot laps and the car taking an instant and high speed right turn into the wall in the middle of a straight away, and yelling "84, 84, 84!". :evil: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

1st) 2.4 Radio System
2nd) Lipo
3rd) Brushless
4th) A rare car to impress people with when the above 3 items still don't help you win any races.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

LowClassCC wrote:1st) 2.4 Radio System
2nd) Lipo
3rd) Brushless
4th) A rare car to impress people with when the above 3 items still don't help you win any races.
I've been thinking it over for the past couple of hours and I think you're right. 2.4 is awesome. You can always buy more batteries, but not having to worry about your channel at the track is awesome. It's hard to even remember what a PITA it was. :?
Ken

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I've never used either choice, so I can't honestly vote. :mrgreen:

Either way, each will be a big step for me. I have to buy a new charger and maybe an esc cut-off to use my old ESC's with the LiPo's. Then I would have to buy a new ESC to use with a new brushless motor that I would also have to buy. :shock:

I see Stormer has some Trinity brushless motors on sale, so I'm really tempted to upgrade.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

LTO_Dave wrote:I've never used either choice, so I can't honestly vote. :mrgreen:

Either way, each will be a big step for me. I have to buy a new charger and maybe an esc cut-off to use my old ESC's with the LiPo's. Then I would have to buy a new ESC to use with a new brushless motor that I would also have to buy. :shock:

I see Stormer has some Trinity brushless motors on sale, so I'm really tempted to upgrade.
If radio interference isn't a problem then I would go lipo first and brushless second. Although to be honest, they've both become so cheap you might do both at the same time even on a budget. I just like lipo because it's so consistent and non-temperamental. You can just beat on it all day long. I really don't run r/c cars that much, but it's still nice.

I think the most important thing is to follow your passion. I mean what do you really want to do with an r/c car or truck. I just love my E-Savage XL Custom to death! :mrgreen: I use stock 550 motors, 27mhz radio and lipo packs! It's the funnest thing I've ever driven. :D 15 pounds of lovin'! :shock:

Ken

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I first got a brushless system which did not come to life until I got LiPo about a year later. LiPo is so much easier to use and provides plenty of run time. So, I would go LiPo first, Brushless second, but if you race you might want to get a good 2.4 radio in between.

My radio frequency was 84, so it is funny that was brought up. I raced during the time when you needed a freq clip, and sometimes, were required to check your radio in, and could only check it out during a race.

This past VONATS I wanted to go all vintage with my SandScorcher including the Futaba attack radio, big mistake! It glicthed so much it was like someone else was driving it into the wall instead of me.

Ok end random thoughts;

)

ED

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I voted Lipo I miss the punch but the much longer run times make up for it. and the fact you dont have dis charge them. but nothing compairs to the 2.4 now more changing crystals.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

Interesting that most say Lipo. I can walk into the LHS and ask for batteries and the response will be NiMh or Lipo. When asking for a motor, I'm pointed to brushless with no brushed motors in sight unless its for a crawler. Heh, I just got a Duratrax 75Mhz frequency checker NIB from a lot buy the other day, had to remember why that would be important to have.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

lpddpd wrote:When asking for a motor, I'm pointed to brushless with no brushed motors in sight unless its for a crawler.
It's definitely a dying breed. :cry: The brushed motor endbell is one of the coolest sights to behold in my opinion. It truly saddens me to know that 10 years from now it will be completely extinct. I hate the 3 wires too. It seems like we should have gone from 2 to 1, not 2 to 3. :? I understand why there are 3, but it still seems odd.
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

soniccj5 wrote:it was like someone else was driving it into the wall instead of me.
Yeah sure Ed... it was someone else... :P :lol:
Ken

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
soniccj5 wrote:it was like someone else was driving it into the wall instead of me.
Yeah sure Ed... it was someone else... :P :lol:
:lol: :lol:

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

For me it's:

1) lipo
2) brushless
3) 2.4 ghz

The longer run times and lack of crappy long-term deterioration like with nihms that seal the deal for me on lipo. I was afraid of the fires and issues too, but just take the necessary precautions I guess. Brushless is just wicked and I really enjoy it, but if I had to choose I could do a lipo on a hot brushed motor and be pretty happy. 2.4ghz is real nice too but an older Futaba Magnum PCM will come close on range and interference rejection.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I choose lipo, as someone mentioned they will even wake up the brushed systems and are so much nicer than the NICD/NIMH
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends