Fastest RC10?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Fastest RC10?

Post by PBR Allstar »

Just curious about who has the fastest RC10 out there? There is a decent following of local RC speed enthusiasts in my area, and they hold monthly meets complete with official ISC timing equipment. Talking to a friend of mine that runs a twin engine nitro car kinda got my gears turning about an RC10 based speed run car! Thought maybe someone has allready done this? Looked on youtube and all I found was an 86 mph B3

proffesso
Approved Member

Re: Fastest RC10?

Post by proffesso »

I used to be into speed run stuff (have a HPI Insane 10L) and there are are few speed run sites now-

http://fastestrc.blogspot.com/ but hardly gets updated anymore

personally I think straight line speed runs are crap, should keep it to drome stuff.
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

"It's not broken, it's British!"

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

If you mean what can we do with our cars read this

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=22222

But for faster rc10's, search rc10 brushless on YouTube. I found an 83 mph one, the guy had basically rubber bands on the fronts wheels. Insanely fast.

I have try mine again with the gps but I'm confident I've broken the 50 mph barrier now. I'm curious about my Rc18 with the 11.1 v lipo in it as well but not sure how I can strap the gps onto it, lol.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Fastest in straight line, or fastest on the track??? Typically one excludes the other :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Back in 1999 I got one (a Team Car) just over 70mph! Not a bad run considering brushed motors and nicad's! I'm sure today you could get one up over 100mph!

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

When I worked at Hacker Brushless we clocked an emaxx at 63, not full throttle and on the street outside the shop... I pulled the trigger after we clocked radar gun and it popped a wheelie over backwards and flipped endlessly pretty much destroying the truck... That was at or around 63 mph it popped a wheelie and flipped over backwards just by pulling the trigger all the way... No bumps in the road, just more power. If flipped and tumpled about 60 yards. Should have seen the tires.. were like a 18 inch pizza pan. True story!

I know not a RC10 story, but thought I would share. :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I hit 38.8mph with sc10 tires,27pinion 75spur 10.5 brushless 40C LiPo.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Around 1990, my 6-gear RC10 hit 62 mph on the street in front of my house; 10 freshly peaked cells, Novak T4 ESC and a Revtech 10 turn motor. That was the best of 2 full passes; the T4's thermal shutdown took care of the 3rd pass :D .

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Over 40 or so mph, IMHO is too fast for anything but straight-line speed-runs.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

Coelacanth wrote:Over 40 or so mph, IMHO is too fast for anything but straight-line speed-runs.
40mph is slow for oval racing, remember the insane speed run velodrome stuff? 60 - 70 - 80mph was the norm.
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Straight line speed runs seem like they would be boring, but at a certain speed, it gets really exciting. I was nominated wheelman for my buddy's xray touring car modified to use a tekin rx8, 4s, and 2650kv 8th scale motor with I believe a 47tooth pinion. We were too scared to get close enough for the radar gun to pick it up accurately, but it had to be pushing 100. Prior to the wedge body, it would blow over around 70 as confirmed by onboard phone GPS, but after the great phone ejection of 2011, we decided against that for subsequent runs.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I'm thinking an RC10TALK.COM "Quest for the Century" car would be a fun build. so I'm toying the idea. I think I have most of the electronics to do so (ridiculous motors and a 4S pack). Still keep it a buggy body with some kind of nose and maybe an undertray on it to keep it on the ground.

I agree with straight line speed runs being "eh" I do however find some appeal in doing something novel with it that is out of the norm.

Along the lines of closed course speed runs, every year at the West Coast Dirt Oval Nats, at racers haven in bakersfield there's a time trial class, 4 minute single car runs looking for the fastest single lap. I held the 2wd record for a year with an EDM powered by a 4.5 motor and a 50c Thunderpower 2S pack. The car was so grossly overgeared that the limiting factor was melting the solder leads off the motor after about 2 minutes. The track record on the oval there is held by an xray touring car running a 3.5 and a 3S battery with a custom body that resembled a group 7 1/24 slot car.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I reached a little over 30mph with a Lunch Box around 10 years ago. It was with one of the first Novak brushless setups and NiCds as LiPo wasn't around yet I don't think.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I had my B3 set up for 3s on a 5700kv Mamba Max a few years ago, but grew tired of the idea before doing any true high speed passes. I have a 30t 48p pinion I had bought for the job. Even with normal gearing on 2s it was highly unstable.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9601&hilit=vulgar+display+of+power

My Losi 1/10th Slider is by far the most stable car I've run under extreme speed conditions. I haven't tried to squeeze a 3s in there though. An RC10 Sprint car conversion might yield similar results. :idea:

Of course I think all the sprint car conversions were designed for 6 gears, but I'm sure someone with more talent than me(which is everyone here :lol: )can figure out a way around that. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken