The never-ending Miata project

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

The never-ending Miata project

Post by markbt73 »

I've seen a couple other threads about "big" project cars on here, so I thought I'd post mine. It's a 1991 Mazda Miata, absolute bare-bones base model, no power steering or AC or electric windows or any of that other junk that just ends up breaking anyway. Heck, it doesn't even have carpeting anymore, since it got all moldy last year and I yanked it out and painted the floors with bedliner paint.

Here she is...

Bone-stock, well over 200,000 miles, and still turns heads and gets compliments, even with the peeling clearcoat. I bought it 3 years ago with a factory hardtop for $2000, sold the hardtop for $800, an extra set of wheels that came with it for $100, and have put about $1200 into it in parts. The previous owner wasn't exactly careful with it, or vigilant about the maintenance. Still, not a bad deal for a sunny-day fun car. I've replaced the entire cooling system, water pump, timing belt, rear diff center section (pinion bearing blew out on my way home one day...luckily I was going slow), all 4 shocks, both rear brake calipers, speedometer cable, and a bunch of other little things I'm probably forgetting right now.

Oh, and the top:

Next up, clutch. It has always been a little soggy, but now it slips noticeably when it gets hot. That's gonna be a project...

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Re: The never-ending Miata project

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

Sweet! I need to redo my floor, truck bed liner is a cool idea! Whenever I meet someone with a Miata I always say... You know how Jay Leno has all those cars? He said his favorite car to drive is his Mazda Miata. I saw him say so on his talk show!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Our 84' Supra- motor rebuild this winter, she's had a hard 295,000 miles-
IMAG0584.jpg
my 7 year olds favorite thing at the moment-

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

My dad had one of those Supras...'85, black with maroon leather. Learned to drive a stick in it. Tons of fun. Also, similar to the Miata, my dad had a '72 MGB. Also, fun to drive.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Almost bought one of those Supras once... bought a Ford Probe instead. (Oops.)

I grew up around MGs and Triumphs and Fiats and whatnot, so I'm right at home in the Miata. Of course, it does have the advantages of fuel injection and a real working electrical system....

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What, you don't fancy Lucas Electrics? :lol: :lol:

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

Woah, I haven't even seen an MA60 for about 8 or 9 years now, I didn't even think they still existed anywhere. I regret passing on one that was in near perfect condition now.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Here's what I did a few weeks ago. You know what's a bad idea? Choosing the hottest day of the summer to do a clutch job. At least I was able to borrow a garage with a lift...

Top bellhousing bolts were... interesting... to get to:

Miata forum guys: "Nah, you don't need a transmission jack; it only weighs 80 pounds or so." Me: "Unnggggh... Gruuuhhhh... Curse you, forum guys!"

But through hard work, perseverance, and about nine hours, I prevailed:

Now, however, the new clutch slips under acceleration, and I've finally found the cause: the hydraulics are sticking and not letting the pedal release all the way. So it's like driving around with your foot on the clutch. Gotta be doing wonders for that brand-new clutch plate... probably what wore out the old one. New master and slave cylinders are $20 each. So she's parked again until this weekend.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Corrr I wish I had a four post lift!

Matias (known as the MX-5 here in the UK) are great cars & are pretty common on these shores, sounds like you are having fun with yours - despite the slipping clutch :|

My other half (Fiancee') has an 06' Mk3 MX-5 that I get to drive it quite often - its certainly great to drive if a little gut-less... but I understand the original Mk1 is a much purer experience?

These are our two cars - the DC2 Integra is mine;

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

markbt73 wrote:Miata forum guys: "Nah, you don't need a transmission jack; it only weighs 80 pounds or so." Me: "Unnggggh... Gruuuhhhh... Curse you, forum guys!"
I hear ya on that one! Back in college I changed the clutch in my Mazda 626. The first time I did it in the college shop (I was an auto-tech at the time ) and the POS replacement clutch parts were rebuilt and warped, so it slipped as bad as the original. The second time, and this is where you have my sympathies, I did it in my buddy's garage, sans the tranny jack. Transmissions are significantly heavier when they are laying on your chest, pinning you to the floor under the car.

I'm not real sure, but I might have said a few bad words during the ordeal. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

DerbyDan wrote: I understand the original Mk1 is a much purer experience?
After about an hour or so at freeway speeds, it's a little too pure of an experience... It's geared really low, so at 60mph it's turning about 3100 rpm in top gear. That, plus the stiff suspension and almost total lack of sound insulation, makes for a tiring trip if you're going out of town. But on twisty back roads, between 20 and 50 mph and back again, it's a near-religious experience.

cautrell05
Approved Member

Post by cautrell05 »

Theres a guy over on pirate that dropped a 327 into one. That sounds like a lot of fun.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

There are complete kits to drop in either a Ford 5.0 HO, or a Chevy LS1. If the four-banger ever gives up the ghost, and I have the money, I might consider it. That, or an electric conversion. Not sure which.

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

Wooo you are doing some work with that Miata, man I am dreading my clutch job. I gotta say that is a fresh looking soft top you put on. An acquaintance of mine recently picked up a Miata same body style as yours at an auction, maybe one day I will get pics. He had 13" steel rims and cut springs, it was very very low, in fact he said he got water in the intake from driving through a puddle.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Sweet, another lightweight RWD fan, and ur local. I have an AE86, and totally understand the joys of doing tranny swap. I've known a few people to turbo the stock motor and others have chosen to go Sr20.

A couple of people I race Rc with here in Portland at PRCR, race spec miata at PIR. do you race much Rc, I work at the hobby shop at Clackamas. Stop in sometime.

Momo