Novak Racer EX,Trinity Monster Horsepower pink lable gearing

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoldRush
Approved Member

Novak Racer EX,Trinity Monster Horsepower pink lable gearing

Post by GoldRush »

well i have a novak racer ex hyper fet esc and a trinity monster horsepower pink label motor that i have in my rc10t runner with a novak 2 cell smart stop and i need to know a good starting(safe) gearing setup. the spur is an 87 but im unsure as to what pinion to run because i dont remember what the motor wind is and its been so long i dont remember how to check. any gurus out there that can help me out. i wanna run this in stadium truck to freak people out.
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

GoldRush
Approved Member

Re: Novak Racer EX,Trinity Monster Horsepower pink lable gea

Post by GoldRush »

bueller?....bueller?....nobody knows the specs or what gearing to use?
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

GoldRush wrote:bueller?....bueller?....nobody knows the specs or what gearing to use?
problem is the pink label Trinity motors were wound from like a 7x1 to a 17 x 4, so the gearing is relative to that factor. Any idea what wind it is?

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

i honestly dont remember how to check...internet search is a full of no help either. im not sure what the limit is on the esc but i received both the esc and motor together so im assuming they are happy with each other as long as gearing is correct. how would i check the wind on the motor?

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

On most of my trinity motors, there's a little piece of paper stuck into the stator that says like "Epic27" for 27T, or "Epic19" for a 19T
The ones that don't have this have it stamped in ink on the stator.
Some of my motor cans have little air vents that act as convenient viewing windows for these little labels.
If it has no vents, and it can be taken apart, take the stator out and look for markings. I only have 2 stators (out of 15 or 16) that aren't labeled.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

It may be hand written on the armature, but take the arm out and take a pic...I can get within a wind with a good pic :wink:

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

i checked everywhere...took the motor apart and no markings whatsoever. there is what looks like red marking compound on all 3 faces of the stator and white paint at the end of the windings at the pinion shaft end. at the com area it looks like 2 pieces of wire for every one of the 3 sections so if memory serves me right that means its a double wind. as far as how many winds that is the only question now. any way to determine that without ruining the motor?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Wire diameter, take a pic of it

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

i went around the motor to different spots to get an idea and i get about 0.030inch to about 0.035in

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Im going to call that a 10x2 or 9 x 2. Stupid hot for 2wd......

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

dang...im not even sure the esc is rated for that but it came wired together...not even sure what i would run it in now. was hoping to have this thing properly geared and run some practice laps on sunday...im taking a bunch of my old runners out just because a few guys didnt believe that i had a bunch of cool old rigs and that i would never bring them out.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

That Novak Racer is a 410- HPC Hyperfet, same esc that won 2wd and 4wd worlds in 93, and masami used a 10 x 2 in 4wd-

Make sure the timing is at 0-8* and run like an 87/15

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

i found some info on the esc and it says no motor limit so i should be ok...as far as timing its set straight up at 0 degrees. input says 4-10 cells so im assuming a 2s 5000 mah 40c lipo will be fine. thanks for all the help. as far as motor temps since i never cared back in the day what should be a good temp to be at?

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

its alive and its pissed off fast :shock: