who else hates gardening

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

marlo
Approved Member

who else hates gardening

Post by marlo »

Way of topic, thought I'd vent my troubles, Gardening......I started yesterday, WEEDS everywhere!!!!!!!, lawn mower.....3/4 of an hour to start!!!!!. Raccoons ripped up my lawn to get grubs....$245 at Canadian tire for lawn edge, seed, grub spray, etc....Thought it would be fun, get out and do some yard work, it never ends. :evil: Just when I think the last weed is ripped up, stand back to look at my great work, I still find 3 more. WTF, and as long as the sun is out, no RC time for me. Double edge sword with the wife, you know. Keeping her happy, but why won't she help :mrgreen:

marlo
Approved Member

Re: who else hates gardening

Post by marlo »

Another thing, 2 years ago, my wife wanted me to build her a veggie garden, fine, sounds like a great idea. Done. It was built on the side of my garage. The yard has a slope to it so it took a bit of work to get the stones level, fenced it off so the rabbits could not get in. Worked great, veggies for that year. Last year she lost interest, weeds took over. Looking at it now, it looks like a weed show room....one of everything!!! Today as we speak, it all comes out, now she want's a rock garden. When I was a kid, I never thought, not in a million years, that I would ever, ever, have to pay for rocks :lol:

328isjohn
Approved Member

Post by 328isjohn »

Just say screw it and put in an RC track

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Thought about it :mrgreen:

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Left gardening to my wife, the only thing I have to do is starting the lawnmower 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

God never intended me to be a green thumb. I have hay fever and even after mowing the lawn, I end up sneezing and having to blow my nose a dozen times. The previous owners of my house had a "veggie garden" too, in one corner of the lot. What did they choose to edge the perimeter? Railroad ties. :roll: So, getting those dug out and removed was a process unto itself. As you described, the "veggie garden" had become much more of a "weed garden" with all sorts of weeds growing up to 4 feet tall. I've since dug it all up, tilled the earth, and last summer, planted lawn seed there. I'll have to re-seed soon this spring and that should take care of that yard abortion.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Rock garden= Crawler course :mrgreen:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I hate outdoor work except for waxing and washing my cars :mrgreen: Wife does all the gardening as she enjoys it. I will mow the lawn and stuff but also have allergies and after doing that, I'm pretty miserable so it gives me lots of RC time :lol:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Try having an outdated sprinkler system that fails every other day. I have 2 sets of 4 sprinkler valves and today is phase one of sprinkler valve overhaul... Plumbing for me normally includes lots of cursing and throwing stuff. YAY ME! UGH! :x
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

my wife wanted to garden this year. that meant i have to build a garden.
30x20.

rented a 5hp front tined tiller a few weeks ago, that thing was the biggest waste of time. it beat the crap out of me and did a terrible job and it took hours.
this weekend i rented a 10hp rear tine tiller, that thing was a beast and did the whole garden twice in less then an hour.

i have grubs, lots. my wife is a granola so no chemicals. i applied milky spore to the garden and 1/4 of the yard so far.
we also have tons of deer so i put down malorganite fertilizer that had great deer repelent properties.
i have to put in 10' t posts around the gardern for deer netting and chicken wire around the bottom.

right now i hate gardening.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Orange wrote:Try having an outdated sprinkler system that fails every other day. I have 2 sets of 4 sprinkler valves and today is phase one of sprinkler valve overhaul... Plumbing for me normally includes lots of cursing and throwing stuff. YAY ME! UGH! :x

you live in az, give it up and embrace the desert. :lol:

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

I hate lawn work and pray for temps in the 90's . Brown grass saves gas.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Sat, sun, in the yard, had a tank top on, now I have just the best looking sun tan :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kaiser wrote:i have grubs, lots.
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBrCaVySmDU[/youtube] :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

kaiser wrote:my wife wanted to garden this year. that meant i have to build a garden.
When we moved house in September last year, we had the opportunity to turn some of the back yard space into vegetable garden. Made sense for us, as we've both been not eating animal products for almost two years now. One garden bed was simple.... about 3m x 1m, already in separated beds, just had to dig everything up, redo all the soil, and put a fence around it.

The other garden, though..... approximately 4m x 3m, which needed to have three large trees removed, some grass turned into garden bed, and a fence around the whole lot. While removing one of the tree stumps I managed to hit my toe with a sledgehammer, which probably broke my big toe. Just about healed now, many months later.

To be honest, though, it was worth all the effort - in just the first season, we produced amazing amounts of vegies. Zucchini, tomato (both normal and cherry), three different types of beans, pumpkin (butternut and 'normal'), broccoli, chillis, parsley, chives and basil, silverbeet, kohlrabi, spinach, radishes, cucumber, the list goes on.

Orange wrote:Try having an outdated sprinkler system that fails every other day. I have 2 sets of 4 sprinkler valves and today is phase one of sprinkler valve overhaul... Plumbing for me normally includes lots of cursing and throwing stuff. YAY ME! UGH! :x
We inherited one of these as well.... the previous owners installed their own full automated system, which we thought was a great bonus, until we realised that it had been LEAKING for as long as we've been here. Seems that the system was installed with too low pressure piping coming from the mains, which caused it to split many times for the previous owners, and leak underground for us. We discovered the leak, and had a plumber fix it, which then led to a complete failure the next night, and a massive amount of water lost (water is expensive here, we have found!). Another visit from the plumber, and the whole sprinkler system is now unusable unless I replace the main supply pipes - not likely to happen any time soon.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!