RC10GT restoration project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: RC10GT restoration project

Post by Charlie don't surf »

justinspeed79 wrote:You know you want to burn some nitro, todd. 8)

I haven't found much info on the Yokomo motors. IIRC Templeofspeed knew a little bit about them, but that was years ago, and I don't remember what he said. Is he still around?
Temple is here from time to time, not real active though. I know he had some minor surgery and that had him non-operational for a while. Be nice to see him back sometime-

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Engine and electronics will be installed soon. I am on the hunt for gold shocks, but they are not a high priority right now. There are still a few very minor details that need to be worked out, I will do that when I install the running gear. I have all new pipe, header, coupler, hanger, zip ties, clutch, flywheel, fuel line, air filter kit, throttle/brake linkage kit, etc. for it, all original. I haven't decided on what engine and electronics I want to use, when I do I will put it all together.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. Hope you like it. :D

How I got it.

Now. 8)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Very nice restoration but your going to have to remove the brake assembly and rotate the lever 90 degrees so it is over the spur gear!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

slotcarrod wrote:Very nice restoration but your going to have to remove the brake assembly and rotate the lever 90 degrees so it is over the spur gear!
Thanks. :D

The brake lever swings freely when it is not connected to the linkage, no need to remove it, just swing it over to the other side. Guess I should have done that for the picture.

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Wow, what a transformation!!! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

justinspeed79 wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:Very nice restoration but your going to have to remove the brake assembly and rotate the lever 90 degrees so it is over the spur gear!
Thanks. :D

The brake lever swings freely when it is not connected to the linkage, no need to remove it, just swing it over to the other side. Guess I should have done that for the picture.

That's strange! The bend/kink in the shaft won't hit the break disk hex? Mine did when I made the same mistake, or what I thought was a mistake! :oops: Oh well, that was like 15 + years ago, maybe I did something wrong when I built it!

Sweet truck though dude!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Thanks Jedi Master. :D
slotcarrod wrote: That's strange! The bend/kink in the shaft won't hit the break disk hex? Mine did when I made the same mistake, or what I thought was a mistake! :oops: Oh well, that was like 15 + years ago, maybe I did something wrong when I built it!

Sweet truck though dude!
The kink will catch at the normal position where it engages the brakes, and then you can go 180* the other way, although that would be backwards of coarse. So it cannot spin past 180 degrees, but it does spin a full 180 in both directions.

Thanks again. :D

Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Wow great job! I actually have been slowly buying parts to convert my original GT to the Factory Team blue chassis with newer parts (so I don't break any of the rare parts)... However I've been at it so long I've bought nearly everything to build a new truck!!! Oh well, at least I can do the same as you to my original GT.

My original white spur gear is in pretty good shape but I may also look for a new one myself.

Many years ago I blew out the diff gear inside and never bothered to repair it (entire center where the balls are held ripped itself free from the outer. So yesterday I sat down and got it running again (gotta love after run drops, my CZ-R fired right up). Forgot how much fun this is to drive, now I'm looking forward to the rest of the parts arriving to finish my Factory Team scratch build. Guess I better start a thread.. Lol.

Cheers and good job!
Boomerang | Hornet | Wild Willy | Bruiser | RC10B2 | RC10GT | RC18T | MicroRS4 | TRC Pro-10 | HL Tiger | F-350 HL | Leop1A4 | SCX10 | RC18B2/T2/MT

Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Forgot to ask, how did you restore the paint on the tub? Mines pretty scratched up :-)
Boomerang | Hornet | Wild Willy | Bruiser | RC10B2 | RC10GT | RC18T | MicroRS4 | TRC Pro-10 | HL Tiger | F-350 HL | Leop1A4 | SCX10 | RC18B2/T2/MT

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Justin hasn't been around latey, but if I recall correctly he installed a new tub-

Wheres Rods truck?? I know he has one- I sold him a NIP shell :lol:

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

Great job, looks fantastic :)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Justin hasn't been around latey, but if I recall correctly he installed a new tub-

Wheres Rods truck?? I know he has one- I sold him a NIP shell :lol:
On the shelf with about 6 inches of dust Reg! :mrgreen: That truck makes me horny to resto mine!

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

My third car in rc was a 10T that I cobbled into a gt. Seeing this restoration brings back some great memories!
Thanks for sharing.
And what happened to 2wd nitro? I was rooting for the SC10gt to spark some life! Damn those lipos!!!!
Drivers,
Less than five... Go OnTheTone
onthetone.blogspot.com

Chris K
Approved Member

Post by Chris K »

tommy911t wrote:My third car in rc was a 10T that I cobbled into a gt. Seeing this restoration brings back some great memories!
Thanks for sharing.
And what happened to 2wd nitro? I was rooting for the SC10gt to spark some life! Damn those lipos!!!!
LOL, you pretty much said it all with 'damn those lipos'!!! Brushless lipo is just almost TOO good; nitro (particularly small displacement), not so much.....

I even tested this theory 'cause sometimes I really miss the 1/10th scale gas trucks. In the Missouri ProSeries 1/10th scale truck is either/or nitro or electric. So, last year at the beginning of the season, I loaded up my GT2 and dceided to give it a whirl. NO WAY was it competitive on a large, slightly fluffy indoor track; I struggled all weekend and my GT2 is on the shelf - probably for ever...

UNLESS

as you say the SC10GT were to catch on around here; which at this point seems somewhat unlikely. It could have been killed by the concept that IF a 1/10 nitro Stadium Truck lacks rear grip WHY would anyone want to race a SC nitro on smaller, narrower tires?

Seems like valid reasoning to me......

BUT, I still have a lot of fond memories of them!
Wherever you go; there you are!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Thanks for the compliments guys! Pretty cool to this thread still on the first page after so long! 8)