Johnboys Build

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Johnboys Build

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, so finally received mine since it was shipped to Mo (old address) instead of NY. Was excited like a little school girl when the box came in. One minor issue, the air pack shipping things failed and the box got a dent in it. No damage to the car whatsoever but I kind of wanted the box to save as my original box is looking pretty damn sad. Anywho, I was tempted to just put it in the corner as I don't have bearings for this thing yet. But then I figured what the hell, had my youngest boy (the 4yr old gearhead) by my side excited to see in this thing. So seals ripped and parts looked over. Chassis looks good, everything appears to be on the good side. So I figured I'd let him help me out. He didn't get past step one. Pulled out the chassis, nose and front body mount. Then he wanted all the parts bags to put his Hotwheels in. So I have some work in that department. I decided that I'm going to slowly put this together as I'm unsure which direction to go. I do believe this will get built in an offroad form and not Dirt Oval. :D Later I might just try to get this thing modernized or WOIN. I couldn't see myself putting on the stock steering as I've never liked it. I did have most of a vintage A&L steering and used some parts off an old Havoc to get the steering set up. I cleaned up the old bearings but it will need some in the future. Speaking of bearings, since I do not have the ones for the tranny, I am really considering putting a stealth in it since I have tons of those.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: Johnboys Build

Post by REMJ666 »

Nice build so far...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

CCC

Post by CCC »

Looks good. Let us know what yo do about the shock spacer issue.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I was reading about that. Worse case scenario, I'll use some of the old stuff. We used to use dang near everything in the house to limit shocks for dirtoval racing.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

every dirt oval guy i knew had atleast a handful of these in their box.

http://www.activepowersports.com/rj-speed-5253-nylon-spacer-asst-1822-48-rjs5253/
618-5253.jpg

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Maybe I'm just used to Facebook, but I was like looking for the "Like" button. :lol: I have tons of stuff like that laying around. I think I watched too much MacGyver as a kid. I don't have a ton of money so I make stuff work. Had a Havoc 2.1 once and took out the gear diff. Then I figured I'd replace it with a ball diff from one of my B4 trans. Well needless to say the geardiff was much wider and the ball diff had so much play. But I was determined. So after shaving down two spur gears I put over the outdrives, it was BUTTER!!!

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Well can't stay away from it. Been wrenching on my buddies stuff since he's one of those new age RC guys that doesn't know how to turn a wrench. Its funny I'm now putting old parts on a brand new car. A little weird.
The front steering tie rods are a little long. The A&L steering system was missing the two outside holes so I had to trim it up a little. But I think I found enough parts to run these tie rods.
Mocking up, gonna put a stealth in it. Have the white case soaking in cleaner right now. Will start the Hydrogen Peroxide bath tomorrow.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

scr8p wrote:every dirt oval guy i knew had atleast a handful of these in their box.

http://www.activepowersports.com/rj-speed-5253-nylon-spacer-asst-1822-48-rjs5253/
618-5253.jpg
Also known as 1/24 & 1/32 scale slot car axle spacers

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Stopping this build for now. With the talk, I may just do a stock build and shelf this thing. Working on my old stuff.

xxx2fast4u
Approved Member

Post by xxx2fast4u »

Very cool build. Sad to see it stop, btw what transmission is that? Awesome looking...

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

xxx2fast4u wrote:Very cool build. Sad to see it stop, btw what transmission is that? Awesome looking...

the Aluminum one? they're from REC, he made a limited run a few months back.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Actually a guy named Walt made these in class. He was going to do the other stealth transfer too. But I guess the teacher had an issue with the projects. A few people on here got them. I was lucky to get two aluminum ones and one delrin. They've been mounted in a couple other cars. Since many have talked about the stop of the run, I think I'll put it together tomorrow in Stock form. Well with a stealth in it. Wish I had white long arms for the front. Only have black. Maybe when I get tired of my dirt oval rc10s, I'll upgrade this re re.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Well its in roller form and starting to mount the body. Everything is stock out of the box FOR NOW with the following exceptions. Bearings, chrome rims, CVDs and soon too be a white stealth. Eventually I want this thing to resemble closely to my second RC10 I took over from my dad. When we started racing rc, he had a stealth goldie and me a Blackfoot. When I proved I could wheel better than him, he picked up a 6 gear for me. After the season I took over his and my 6 gear was traded off. So for now she'll be an off road shelf queen and eventually might turned into a dirt modified. Just need white wide arms...Unfortunately I have all black ones.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Don't think I've ever actually mounted a buggy body. All my offroad was done with Stadium or Short Course trucks.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I see your front body mount was massively short as well. I used a longer one with a 1/4 inch spacer under it just to get it to come through the body. :roll:
102 RC vehicles and counting...