Some Servo questions

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

Some Servo questions

Post by DMAT »

First off, my current servos issues.

With one servo, While running the car, something forced the servo to think its center position was turned almost the full turn in one direction. When I turned power off, I could fully turn the servo to the normal to each ends of its rotation angle. I set it in the center position and when I put power to it, It turned almost all the way to 1 side again. I ended up fixing this by turning the servo on and forcing the arm back to the center position. I checked the servo horn and It was not slipping at all either. Any ideas what happened here?

With another servo, It just seems like its slow and sluggish for its specs. Its an LHS LS-50D, suppose to be 209 oz with a 0.15s rotation. Im chalking this up to you get what you pay for since it was ~$15 new. What has me bothered more is it seemed like the arm didnt want to turn far enough. I could turn the servo all the way to either side but both sides still had more. even with a longer servo arm, It was still lacking. I actually fell that my old futaba s148 servo worked better when I ran it in another car.

Now with the above LHS servo acting like crap, I'm looking to replace it with a better servo that main purpose will be racing. The track has many tight turns that with the previous servo, I needed to swing the rear end around the make the turns. So far I've gotten lots of recommendations for a savox or hitec servo but nothing in particular, just the brands. I sorta understand all the specs of servos but I really dont know how much would be recommended for a buggy racer. I'm open to most suggestions but I'd prefer to stay under $70 for a good servo. my biggest concerns will be making sure It can make the tight turns when I go to race it.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: Some Servo questions

Post by 85Edinger »

IMO, for a 2wd buggy anything with 120 oz-in or more is more than adequate. I have a Hitec 7965MG. It has 140 oz- in and a .10 sec transit time. I paid $65 for it, and I feel I got my money's worth. I've been using it for a few years and it's been totally reliable, fingers crossed. I would recommend it but it's discontinued.
Anything with specs in that range should do fine.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I think I also need to check what my esc's bec voltage is too. god help me if my local hobby shop doesnt at least carry an uplink for castle esc's. :evil:

for a servo, i was looking at this one 11.8Kg/cm 0.07s. I figured I'd buy from them since they have a shorty pack I wanna get and I wont need to order from multiple places.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14830__Mi_Digital_High_Torque_Metal_Gear_Servo_JR_Hitec_11_8kg_0_07_58g.html

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

The specs look good, and I find MI intriguing.
Has anyone tried it?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Just found this sorta funny, If you leave a product page on hobby king open for a while, Eventually a popup window with a lower price will appear for the item. albiet going from 31.99 to 31.95 isnt much of a deal :lol: Other items did get a a dollar or two off.

joeman37
Approved Member

Post by joeman37 »

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=43055

I am going to try these out for some SC10 dirt oval cars I am building.

-Joe

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

joeman37 wrote:http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=43055

I am going to try these out for some SC10 dirt oval cars I am building.

-Joe
I bought this one. Just waiting for it to arrive.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43052__TrackStar_TS_915_Digital_1_10_Touring_Car_Buggy_Steering_Servo_45g_10_1kg_0_08sec.html

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

make sure you know what your voltage is. Even though that 2nd one is stronger, it takes a higher voltage to achieve that. The one I picked out has more power at the lower voltage amount which is also the best my esc puts out.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Just my $0.02, but in lightweight buggies, I like the high speed shorty servos. The Savox SC1251 is excellent, but if your budget doesn't quite allow for $65, I've also been very happy with the HD series that Atomik RC slings on their eBay store. I grabbed one of the 1207TG models, very fast on 6V (0.09 sec/60*) and decent power at 111 in.oz. Was only $33 shipped.

Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment, but this seller has the 1206 in stock. Slightly less powerful, but faster (0.06 sec/60* :shock: )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-HD-High-speed-Digital-lineary-Servo-6V-7KG-0-06Sec-1-10-RC-Car-DS-1206TG-/141038223791?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d68881af

When you start getting under 0.1 sec/60*, the servo is almost too fast. On some vehicles, I've had to dial the exponential back with these .06-.09 second servos. The upshot is that you can position linkage closer to the center of the horn to maximize torque and minimize slop without losing your speed 8) .
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."