XX/XX4 Questions

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Klubtropicana

XX/XX4 Questions

Post by Klubtropicana »

Hello All
Decided last week to relive my childhood, always wanted Losi's and Schumacher's but only ever had Tamiya's!!
Anyways a week later after a trigger happy few days on ebay and i now have an XX-CR, XXX and XX4.
Ive never even seen a Losi before so you'll have to excuse my ignorance/naivety but should the wheels have an play or looseness in them?
All the car's have it and it all seems to be down to the grey plastic turnbuckle cups on the servo's and steering arms. I didnt know if this is a feature or a worn out fault? Apologies if its a stupid question.
Also there is free play on the XXX and XX4 where the wishbone can slide a little backwards and forwards on the mounting pins to the chassis, again is this a feature or can it be shimmed to stop it?
I know ebay is the obvious, but is there a place i can order a car set of these plastic turnbuckle ends for all the cars and also complete new screw kits?
Thanks for reading sorry if im being stupid here! They are great buggies i cant wait to get them going well, the XX4 in particular looks really well built and a great piece of kit.
Cheers

Jonny from the UK

hondaman
Approved Member

Re: XX/XX4 Questions

Post by hondaman »

Welcome to the insanity!! There are no real stupid questions and this is all part of the hobby.. This site is great and the people are really knowledgeable.. I've learned soo much and there hasn't been any animosity toward my questions.. Don't sweat the small things.. :wink:

As far as the looseness, it probably is from wear.. Ball cups do waer and become loose from taking them on and off (either for repair or crashes in a race where they pop off).. There shouldn't be too much play but should be free moving.. The sliding wishbones can be shimmed to fix that.. RPM and Losi make ball cups you can find them pretty easily.. If you want a totally correct "shelf queen" restoration ebay or the BST is a good place.. You just need to increase your post count.. Read the site info on what you need for BST.. There are a few companies that do screw kits on Ebay but not sure on which cars.. I usually buy bulk packs.. Check out oldrc.com.. He carries a bunch of Losi parts and he's a member here.. Good guy and ships fast.. Bought stuff from him a few times including some of his 3d printed parts.. :P

So since I gave you all that, you owe us some pics!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We love pictures here.. One way to get a quality post count is to contribute.. You have 3 wonderful projects so post them up.. You'll get your questions answered, you get to show off you cars and we get our pictures.. :lol: So welcome and enjoy your projects!!

Shawn

Klubtropicana

Post by Klubtropicana »

Thanks for your reply Shawn!
I have attached a pic of the three together, they all want rebuilds and look terrible next to everything else i have seen on here but you've got to start somewhere and i am just happy to finally own them!
Looks like the XX4 is quite rare beast as it took me ages to find one....
I'd like to build them up in 'period' spec, managed to get a Novak Cyclone and LRP IPC speedos from ebay so thats a start.
Attachments
xx.jpg
xxx.jpg
xx4.jpg
losi family.jpg

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

You have came to the right site for losi knowledge. I know I know its RC10Talk but there are some hardcore Losi collectors/racers here. I usually use the RPM Long 4-40 rod ends, chuck the tie rod in a drill and slowly work them in and out of new ends to make nice threads to its easier to adjust later at the track etc.
There should be some small black shims about 1/8" thick in the rear wishbone/pin area if they are missing you will need them if they are there, then you need to pick up a thin shim set. It is possible that the hole and or pins are worn but thats hard for us to see from here :lol:

Be a contributing member with specific questions and the guys here are super duper fantastic at anwsering questions.

we also love pics because long read awnsers like this often dont get read all the way thru....wait what's that?.......squirrel!!!
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Klubtropicana wrote:Thanks for your reply Shawn!
I have attached a pic of the three together, they all want rebuilds and look terrible next to everything else i have seen on here but you've got to start somewhere and i am just happy to finally own them!
Looks like the XX4 is quite rare beast as it took me ages to find one....
I'd like to build them up in 'period' spec, managed to get a Novak Cyclone and LRP IPC speedos from ebay so thats a start.
I was watching that Double-X for a while on eBay but with only two not-so-great photo's, I passed. The 'home-made' front brace reinforcement looks interesting but will obviously need replacing with the re-build.... :mrgreen:
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

RPM Rod ends are choice.

OldRC can hook you up with bulkheads and whatnot for anything really.

Like it was said, get some shims, there should be no play.

You've come to the right place for any info you need. Be it Losi, AE or whatever. Ask us anything.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Any update on the rebuilds....?
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~