Decided to learn CAD this weekend lol

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Decided to learn CAD this weekend lol

Post by GoMachV »

I have been wanting to get into cad for the longest time. I love drafting, and have played with Google Sketchup a lot but never autocad. Wow.. Whole different world. I used a few youtube videos to find the hidden bits I was looking for, and for my first part I think it turned out ok 8)

If you look close you can see the tower is laying on the printout. .
IMAG0659_1.jpg
IMAG0661_1.jpg
Then I laid out the holes for the rear and started free styling it a bit. Just playing around, probably won't even cut one just wanted to experiment. I will be drawing the world's rear with wing mounts next and that's what the holes here represent.
IMAG0649.jpg
So all in all it was a good weekend. I learned a lot but have a lot to go too!

The newest version of my pin router....wiill not be a pin router at all......im stepping up to a cnc router. Its a preorder so I have some time to play with autocad until I can cut anyway
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Beau S
Approved Member

Re: Decided to learn CAD this weekend lol

Post by Beau S »

Nice!
I gave up of Google Sketchup. It wasn't very intuitive for me. I know there is a huge community to support it, but I got burnt out quickly.

I just found Autocad123 a couple of weeks & ago, and need to make time for it. It seems a lot easier to get around in.

I know virtually nada about CAD programs, so I'm learning as I research. And trying to do it as "free" as I can.

Which autocad are you using?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

2015 ... But we have a student in the house so I'll end up with the full version pretty reasonable 8) :lol: for 3 years anyway

I played with a ton of cad and some cam with basic cad functions and all left me bewildered. I figured if I can learn autocad it can only get easier from here.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Cool! I'm using Pro/E, but have used Solidworks and AutoCAD in the past, they're all good, but have slightly different strengths.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I cant think of the name but there were these really simple guide books that they made us use in college that will run you through most of the 2D and 3D commands for autocad. I remember buying them used off amazon for a few dollars each and they worked as a wonderful walkthrough.

Atleast you've got a good bit of support online for the program. My work decided to start using this autodesk advanced steel program which came out this year and there is so little help for it. Having to self teach myself so I can teach the rest of my department lol

definitely not an expert on autocad but after 7 years with the software, I know a good bit so feel free to ask me any questions.

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

I had an AutoCAD class in college years ago...played with ScetchUp a bit too. I was much more into 3D modelling and animation, made some pretty neat stuff in TruSpace. I don't even know if that program is still around.
And I have a TON of mechanical drafting gear (non-computer...you know, back when you had to do it by hand) if any of you use or collect such things, let me know, I have no use for it anymore.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

A little story:

A long, long time ago my dad found a CAD program named "V-CAD" in a French shop for a very low price. This was a simple 2.5D CAD program that was actually pretty good, easy to learn and could print true 1:1 scale drawings on an inkjet printer. When I write "A long, long time ago" I'm talking Windows 3.1-time (1994). :shock: This program can save files in AutoCAD DXF format, and still works on Windows XP. The company that made it (Centriforce) later went on to produce CAD/CAM-software for the professional market...

Then, later my dad went to work for an academical institution and one day came home with a copy of Rhinoceros 3D, which had been laying collecting dust on a shelf for a few years. This is a professional 3D modelling and rendering package, aimed more at producing nice images than simple mechanical design (but unlike some other packages, it can be used for both equally well), and has a fairly steep learning curve. Unlimited license. It imports AutoCAD files... :D (you see where this is going, right?)

So, cheap and ancient CAD program + expensive professional dust-gathering software obtained for free? Could they talk to each other, maybe? It turned out that they could, yes (V-CAD 1.0 = Best Software Buy. EVER). :mrgreen: Basically I'm only missing a CAM-driver and CNC machine to make my own stuff.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Very cool! I have found lots of freeware and inexpensive cad and cam programs but I think I can get the hang of autocad, just due to the sheer amount of info out there. Whenever I need to find an answer it is in a YouTube video or an answered on a forum. For that reason alone I will stick with it until the student license runs out, then I gotta convince the other child to take up drafting for another 3 year span lmfao!
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

I started fooling around with FreeCAD after I switched to Linux and couldn't play around with Sketchup anymore. Don't know how it compares to other CAD software though, since the last ones I used were in High School some 20+ years ago.

Unfortunately it doesn't let you to export 3D DXF files because of licensing issues. It has other 3D formats you can export to and is supported by Shapeways according to their website.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

gomachv wrote:Very cool! I have found lots of freeware and inexpensive cad and cam programs but I think I can get the hang of autocad, just due to the sheer amount of info out there. Whenever I need to find an answer it is in a YouTube video or an answered on a forum. For that reason alone I will stick with it until the student license runs out, then I gotta convince the other child to take up drafting for another 3 year span lmfao!
10 years ago I obtained MasterCam 7 with a crack file, not endorsing this kind of unscrupulous behavior but if you look, it can be found. Sadly I never followed through and would have to start learning from beginning these days.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

I started using Autocad back in 1990 think it was 10? All our flat composite parts were designed and finished with it - had a a lot fun with it. Now days I use solidworks as most things I work on are three dimensional parts.

I also have some old school drafting equipment including a 40"x32" table with a sliding "T" squire on it.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I grew up with a drafting table. Between that and legos I was in heaven. If I was growing up these days with a computer and 3d printer......the things I could do! Too bad creativity is becoming a lost art
Factory Works website

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

gomachv wrote:I grew up with a drafting table. Between that and legos I was in heaven. If I was growing up these days with a computer and 3d printer......the things I could do! Too bad creativity is becoming a lost art
It's never too late :P

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Actually I have money down on the new shapeoko 3. Bigger and sturdier just not out yet
[youtube]Iicj-P7I3ng[/youtube]
Factory Works website