Black fiberglass, G10 or what?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Black fiberglass, G10 or what?

Post by yellowdatsun »

I bought a, what appeared to be, black fiberglass sheet on ebay a while back. It's no longer in my history, so I can't contact the seller.

I doubt it's carbon fiber, as it doesn't look like CF, and when I cut it, it smelled like fiberglass.

It has a matter black finish on both sides, is rather smooth, but not as smooth as a CF sheet.

Anyone know what I'm looking for here? Is it G10? Is there a more specific name, since my G10 searches only turn up natural color fiberglass, or red, but no matte black. It is 4mm thick.

Looks kinda like what Speedracer uses for his shock towers. Which is what I had used it for on my B4 and Optima. Any insight would be welcome. Thanks!

GoMachV

Re: Black fiberglass, G10 or what?

Post by GoMachV »

G10 should be very smooth and may or may not show the weave thru the color. The matte black g10 I use if from eplastics. You can get gloss black blue and natural from McMaster Carr but only in certain thicknesses.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

g10 or fr4 is another way to describe epoxy glass.

Jeff basically described all that is commonly found on the internet easily. most places that sell composites/raw materials can order anything, but there are minimum orders.

if the black is only on the top surface, or if you slice it and the fibers look whitish, then it's pretty likely it's fiberglass. if the fibers have a silvery-black shimmer to them, it could be carbon fiber.

also, even at 4mm thick, you should be able to flex it some if it is fiberglass. carbon fiber would be extremely stiff.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

jwscab wrote:g10 or fr4 is another way to describe epoxy glass.

Jeff basically described all that is commonly found on the internet easily. most places that sell composites/raw materials can order anything, but there are minimum orders.

if the black is only on the top surface, or if you slice it and the fibers look whitish, then it's pretty likely it's fiberglass. if the fibers have a silvery-black shimmer to them, it could be carbon fiber.

also, even at 4mm thick, you should be able to flex it some if it is fiberglass. carbon fiber would be extremely stiff.

It's interesting you mention FR4. I have been doing research on G10 recently and I keep getting FR4 thrown into the mix. Is G10 and FR4 the same thing, or are there any differences?

Thanks,
Mark

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

FR is flame resistant version of G10 which is Garolite material.
NEMA is the regulating authority for FR-4 and other insulating laminate grades. Grade designations for glass epoxy laminates are: G10, G11, FR4, FR5 and FR6. Of these, FR4 is the grade most widely in use today. G-10, the predecessor to FR-4, lacks FR-4's self-extinguishing flammability characteristics. Hence, FR-4 has since replaced G-10 in most
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

GoMachV wrote:FR is flame resistant version of G10 which is Garolite material.
NEMA is the regulating authority for FR-4 and other insulating laminate grades. Grade designations for glass epoxy laminates are: G10, G11, FR4, FR5 and FR6. Of these, FR4 is the grade most widely in use today. G-10, the predecessor to FR-4, lacks FR-4's self-extinguishing flammability characteristics. Hence, FR-4 has since replaced G-10 in most

Was just reading the same thing! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4 Thanks Jeff!

PS> Thanks for mentioning ePlastics. I was leaning towards these guys http://www.professionalplastics.com/G10FR4SHEET but if you recommend ePlastics and their pricing is cheaper, then all the better.

->Mark

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Eplastics is awesome but shipping is high. Order 10 to save money!
Factory Works website

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Thanks guys for the help. It's a semi-gloss black. Definitely not the pretty carbon fiber stuff. I'll try the companies that were suggested.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

you should snap a pic of it and post it. it goes without saying but don't smell the cutting of the Carbon fiber or really any type of fiberglass. it's a known carcinogen and at a minimum you should wear a dust shield. So when you cut it, what color was the dust?

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Smells like fiberglass when cut, and the shavings liik like fiberglass.

Also, I'm not seeing it on that eplastics site.......

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

yellowdatsun wrote:Smells like fiberglass when cut, and the shavings liik like fiberglass.

Also, I'm not seeing it on that eplastics site.......

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic?search=black+g10 is probably what you are looking for in 0.125".

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Boy, you guys weren't kidding, shipping was just as much as the product. How in the heck can they charge $30 shipping, on a flat piece, when the product is only $30. Jeezus.

If anyone on here wants to get rid of some, let me know.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

yellowdatsun wrote:Boy, you guys weren't kidding, shipping was just as much as the product. How in the heck can they charge $30 shipping, on a flat piece, when the product is only $30. Jeezus.
The problem is that they don't want to ship the economical way; i.e. slap that thing between a few pieces of cardboard in a bubble envelope and ship it off. No, they probably require Priority Post which means tracking and insurance, and jacks up the shipping cost to 3 times what it really ought to be.

But who the f*** needs tracking and insurance on an item that's worth less than $50? :evil:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

^^^ Seriously.

I'll find another avenue for my G10, because that's just rediculous.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Found some G10 in black from a pool table shop on ebay, of all places.