Getting my B3 Race Ready

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Comby01

Getting my B3 Race Ready

Post by Comby01 »

Hi I have recently dug out my old B3 with the idea of taking up racing again and I have noticed I am missing the CVD dog bone and the relevant pins and coupling. As I am looking to race the car my intention is to try and replace the parts I need to with modern more readily available parts. I'm interested to know if there are any direct replacement parts I could get or if I would need to replace more of the back end. Any advice would be really appreciated.

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Getting my B3 Race Ready

Post by scr8p »

Comby01

Post by Comby01 »

Thank you, they don't seem to ship to the UK though which is where I am based

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Custom Works products are sold my multiple vendors, including Amain. Finding one that will ship to you shouldn't be hard.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

There's a few lengths of CVD kits listed. Is there any good way to know which RC10Bx and RC10Tx buggies and trucks they could fit?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

None are gonna fit a truck. The longest ones are probably b4 length if I had to guess.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:16 pm There's a few lengths of CVD kits listed. Is there any good way to know which RC10Bx and RC10Tx buggies and trucks they could fit?
The short set fits the buggies. The axles and pins will fit the rc10t, but the bones need to be sourced. There are usually 1 or 2 on ebay at any given time for 20-30 usd + shipping.

I just outfitted my buggy and truck with the custom works cvd's.

CW also has a number of other parts that may also fit your truck. I notice a bunch of 2.4 diff specific parts. someone here will have to chine in on what fits the b/t 3

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Comby01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:03 am Hi I have recently dug out my old B3 with the idea of taking up racing again and I have noticed I am missing the CVD dog bone and the relevant pins and coupling. As I am looking to race the car my intention is to try and replace the parts I need to with modern more readily available parts. I'm interested to know if there are any direct replacement parts I could get or if I would need to replace more of the back end. Any advice would be really appreciated.
I also forgot, while vintage wheels aren't that hard to find, you can put hex adapters on the rear axles and use current AE hex wheels with no fuss.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Wheels are easy. JConcepts sells 2.2 wheels that are a direct fit and the correct offset.

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

JosephS wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:26 pm
Comby01 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:03 am Hi I have recently dug out my old B3 with the idea of taking up racing again and I have noticed I am missing the CVD dog bone and the relevant pins and coupling. As I am looking to race the car my intention is to try and replace the parts I need to with modern more readily available parts. I'm interested to know if there are any direct replacement parts I could get or if I would need to replace more of the back end. Any advice would be really appreciated.
I also forgot, while vintage wheels aren't that hard to find, you can put hex adapters on the rear axles and use current AE hex wheels with no fuss.
Its not quite that simple, using current AE hex wheels would narrow the track width of the rear significantly. I have put B4 hexes on the rear of mine and fitted traxxas 1/16 e-revo wheels and the width is basically identical to the standard, you just need to drill out the hole in the rim slightly to allow it to fit over the axel which is slightly thicker than the metric

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Delorean wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:13 pm
JosephS wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:26 pm
Its not quite that simple, using current AE hex wheels would narrow the track width of the rear significantly. I have put B4 hexes on the rear of mine and fitted traxxas 1/16 e-revo wheels and the width is basically identical to the standard, you just need to drill out the hole in the rim slightly to allow it to fit over the axel which is slightly thicker than the metric
I think I am getting tripped up because there was the mention of a (T3) truck as well. The hex adapters are sold in widths. I'm using the t4 adapters on my truck with the standard t5/t6 wheels and the width is right. That may be close to the correct buggy width as well.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Delorean wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:13 pm I have put B4 hexes on the rear of mine and fitted traxxas 1/16 e-revo wheels and the width is basically identical to the standard, you just need to drill out the hole in the rim slightly to allow it to fit over the axel which is slightly thicker than the metric
I have three sets of 1/16 E-Revo wheels on RC10's and two sets of truck wheels on 10T's. I didn't have to drill any of them. All of mine are 1/4" axles with Factory Works hexes but they still have the 8-32 thread.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JosephS wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:37 pm I think I am getting tripped up because there was the mention of a (T3) truck as well. The hex adapters are sold in widths. I'm using the t4 adapters on my truck with the standard t5/t6 wheels and the width is right. That may be close to the correct buggy width as well.
All of the hex buggy wheels have a deep offset. The offset of the truck wheels stayed about the same.

patrick21x

Post by patrick21x »

I have a B3 that I need to dig out of storage, I know I have a lot of spare parts from my racing days at OCRC