Recently a project I had in mind materialised... The Marui Samurai 4WD was one of my dreamt cars when I was 15 years old. I never got one back in the time. This car looked awesome and aggressive. It maybe the most beautiful roll cage buggy of those times, ahead of the Javelin (which is still very nice and totally among my favorites).
For the technical specs :
- 3 Differentials
- Chain transmission
- 1070g !
Few press articles I found out while searching for information (not exhaustive list - I'm still searching for more)
- Marui Samurai Test track - Radio Control Model Cars - March 1986 : https://www.overrc.com/vintage/documentation/archives-de-mike/Marui%20Samurai%20MC.pdf (source: www. overrc.com)
- Marui Samurai - Radio Race Car International - April 1986 : https://www.overrc.com/vintage/documentation/archives-de-mike/Marui%20Samurai.pdf (source: www. overrc.com)
- Marui Samurai Track test - Radio Control Model Cars - July 1986 : https://www.overrc.com/vintage/documentation/archives-de-mike/Mauri%20Samurai%20MC%20Track%20Test.pdf (source: www.overrc.com)
- The Samurai 4WD (french) - Auto RCM - February 1986 : https://www.retromodelisme.com/article_page/1589/samurai-4wd-marui.html (source : retromodelisme.com)
- Marui Samurai Banzai! (french) - Auto 8 - February 1986 : https://www.retromodelisme.com/article_page/4227/essai-samourai-marui-marui.html (source : retromodelisme.com)
- Few weeks ago, I contacted someone in the region where I was born and where my parents are still living. For the small story, the guy posted some pics of his Samurai on a group asking question on a car he was considering as he'd like to be able to use it without the fear of breaking something, and that was the day of my 50's anniversary... We discussed and it appear thru the discussion that the guy knew my uncle, and he accepted to book the car for me for a few months. I asked my father to go and buy the car for me, but was not sure how long it would take for him to do...
- Decided it was time to find some parts for a project, found one set of rear plates for almost nothing and ordered them, intension was to tease about the car on some forums
- A Marui chassis is always a thing to bother about when you start a Marui project. @Dadio was selling one of his modeled chassis on ebay, he gave me the link and I was alone to bid on it.
- The day I received the chassis, one good friend in another forum contacted me to proposed me a Samurai with a broken chassis, as he knew that I was that in mind. Having a chassis already, I thought the chassis was made for this one, so I decided to go for it
It's not complete, but I don't mind. This is a project, a new journey, and will keep me busy for some time, which is definitely what I'm looking for
Yesterday, after getting the Nichimo Spirit FF down to parts, I decided it was time to do the same with the Samurai to have a more precise idea of what was needed for it.
Status at the end of what is missing or need rework :
- Left and right chassis to replace (Thanks @Dadio to the rescue)
- Middle Front Bulkhead broken
- Gearbox damaged with a lot of play for the center diff (I believe the car was probably running forward in RWD and backward in FWD )
- Rear right arm slightly damage where the pivot ball is placed. Luckily, it seems that I can just inverse the arms to get that back to work
- One of the front Knuckle is damaged (again a thread which was damaged)
- Missing a roof, and roll cage requires work
- Driver missing
And there is also the second Samurai I'll probably not have in hands before Xmas. In any case, this is one of the new background routines I'll regularly post about in the next few weeks/months...
That's all for today!