(2) RC10GT's - Black Tub and Plastics - #7065

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: (2) RC10GT's - Black Tub and Plastics - #7065

Post by GreenBar0n »

Made magnetic body posts for #2. Have double sided tape for now to hold the magnets to the body, if it's not strong enough I'll attach them with Shoegoo.

Sits squarely now, even with the version2-3 rear shock tower.

Waiting on the wing to get here, and that should be the last thing #2 needs.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Got the magnetic body mounts the right angle and height on the four corners of the chassis of #2.

Just have the front magnets stuck on for now, waiting for the 0 deg. rear suspension mount and a good spoiler to arrive, in order to add the back magnets. The tape is stronger than the magnet, which is exactly what I needed for quick-off/on display purposes.

The magnets auto-center the body when it clips on, if they're in the right spots.

Received a #7185 Truck Spoiler, but the wing-curl on the ends was damaged in the mail. Another will be here soon, but I figured I'd test cut the damaged one.

#1 has only the brake rod and adjustment left to do, and then it will find a shelf.

I know these mods aren't for everyone, but #1 had a Parma Chevy Nomad station wagon body on it from day one out of the box in '97, it was painted purple and white, and I jumped that body so many times it cracked in half and was thrown away.

My friends at the time that ran this with me, had golf courses, new housing developments, and construction sites to run these at. That's why #1 looks this way. And why #2 is boxart stock.

Should be done with both really soon. Restoration and finding vintage parts took longer than I had anticipated. Wasn't expecting #2 to happen at all, but I already had all those extra parts/engine for a GT, and #2 was too cheap to pass up. I'm fighting the urge to make the box #2 came in, a cut-off boxart panel for display with it. I should not be having those destructive thoughts :twisted:.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Am I remembering correctly that you'd mentioned a dilemma with your antenna and not wanting to poke a hole in the body for it? Was thinking you did so I've been looking for an RCCA Pit TIp from back in the day. Earlier today BattleTrak posted an article from the issue which had the Pit Tip I was looking for. Short story long, I didn't like external antennas so I did like this...

Antenna Pit Tip.JPG

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:36 pm Am I remembering correctly that you'd mentioned a dilemma with your antenna and not wanting to poke a hole in the body for it? Was thinking you did so I've been looking for an RCCA Pit TIp from back in the day. Earlier today BattleTrak posted an article from the issue which had the Pit Tip I was looking for. Short story long, I didn't like external antennas so I did like this...

Antenna Pit Tip.JPG
Interesting, pretty sure I saw one of those on an RC10 on eBay recently, and I didn't know what it was. It had that zig-zag antenna pattern, and it was rigged up internally, that had to be what I saw. Thanks for that!

All of my cars now have the Spektrum SR3000, or 3001 Pro Rx, so I can use my Futaba 3PJS for all of my vintage models; the antenna's are all really short for Spektrum DSM. I should get rid of that antenna tube on #1 altogether, left that there for nostalgia, as the way it was left in the 'attic'.

I have seen some shorter antenna straws around here that were all black with a black cap, looked really clean. Might try to find how they did those.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Hmmm.... yep... Page 5, Spektrum SR3000/ 3001 Pro Rx/ Futaba 3PJS... plain as day.

I wonder who it was I'd been looking for the Pit Tip then.🤔 ....oh well, whoever didn't want to poke a hole in their body, there ya go! :lol:

...and we now return to the regularly scheduled RC10GT builds already in progress. :wink:

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:39 am Hmmm.... yep... Page 5, Spektrum SR3000/ 3001 Pro Rx/ Futaba 3PJS... plain as day.

I wonder who it was I'd been looking for the Pit Tip then.🤔 ....oh well, whoever didn't want to poke a hole in their body, there ya go! :lol:

...and we now return to the regularly scheduled RC10GT builds already in progress. :wink:
:lol: I appreciate the tip, the Andy's GT body was the one I didn't want any holes in, for the posts or the antenna. If I had the era correct Rx in either of these GT's, that would've been an excellent remedy, and very cool because that's how it was done by the pro's, come to find out.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Received a really clean NOS #7185 Spoiler. Will cut this one out today.

How it should look.

The 0 degree mount for the rear suspension will be here Monday, that's what's been keeping me from finishing this.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Spoiler cut and ready to mount.

Used tape to keep things centered:

Tried to get things square and even with the mounting screws.

The GT spoiler sticker lettering is slightly farther apart than the boxart letters are, you can see there should be a bit more margin on the left.

Temporary shelf space.

Have maybe two more hours on these, and they'll finally be completed.