Impulse Buy - Pavidis YZ10

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HS-YZ250

Impulse Buy - Pavidis YZ10

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Need a little expert help here...

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the board. I signed up because Google searches kept landing me here; sounds like there are knowledgeable people, here. I'll probably be bombing the Losi forum, before too long.

When I got interested in my old Losi racers, again, after they had been parked for about 16 years, I couldn't help but remember how I longed to have a Yokomo since reading of Masami's '93 Works car in high school. Tried to keep from doing it because I have way too many projects, but, I got one.

If you've been watching on eBay the past few weeks, you may have seen this one. The seller claimed it to be a '94 that was recently restored. Excitement got the best of me, so I didn't ask any questions, just looked at the small pictures and went for it. When I got it, there were some small issues, but mainly I was a bit confused as to what I had. I know enough to say that it's a bit of a hodge podge and probably not the World Champion Special that's on the box. Looks like the seller bought some Fiber Lyte parts patterned after the Pavidis edition car, but not all, because some spacers are missing due to bolt holes not lining up between the upper and lower deck. Looks like they may have also put on a stainless screw set, some of which were put in the wrong way (suspension would bind until I took the shocks off) and I wonder if they're US instead of metric (haven't measured, yet). Also, the wheel hubs are a mix of older and newer, and I think the rears are fronts, but haven't read through the manual, yet. Finally, the differentials you can tell were rebuilt, but I think they can be smoother.

Pictures below. My goal with getting this was to turn it into a light to moderate runner and not a shelf queen, so I'm not concerned with it being period correct or having anything exotic. Want to get it mechanically sound and smooth, top it with a reproduction body, modern wing, possibly put a mild brushless motor in it (though I still have a few brushed stock motors from back in the day), and see what I missed out on all those years ago.

Thanks for your help!

Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Impulse Buy - What did I get?

Post by Coelacanth »

I don't know much about Yokomos, being a Kyosho fanatic--but that looks like a sweet chassis with a lot of high-end goodies. Love all the carbon fiber & alloy parts! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

Pavidis version with fiberlyte parts,you puted two rear shock towers on it.not good idea
when the upgrade steering system you need drill the chassis hole large,it can not recover normal.

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Looks a decent Pavidis score, id love one of these, love that rear camber link and the cool factor on the chassis.
This will turn into a lovely runner for sure, looks to be in fair shape!

lee

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

good buy. looks like a killer project to get started on.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Coelacanth wrote:I don't know much about Yokomos, being a Kyosho fanatic--but that looks like a sweet chassis with a lot of high-end goodies. Love all the carbon fiber & alloy parts! 8)
Eventually, I'll get back to my Rocky project, and you'll have something of mine to geek out on.
crusaderlyf wrote:Pavidis version with fiberlyte parts,you puted two rear shock towers on it.not good idea
when the upgrade steering system you need drill the chassis hole large,it can not recover normal.
It came this way. You sure the front shock tower is a rear? Might explain why the suspension bound up with the shocks installed.

So my first question, if anyone can answer it, is if the hardware (screws and nuts) are Yokomo hardware, or aftermarket. If Yokomo, does newer Yokomo hardware match? Going to need to pick up a few more as I get to working on things.

Next, I'd like to know if Fiber-lyte makes an upper brace to match the Pavidis lower chassis plate, since there are a few empty holes between the two.

Also realized I'm going to need to find a front bumper.

Thanks!
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

upforit365
Approved Member

Post by upforit365 »

The hardware looks like an RPCRacing hardware kit for the YZ10. I've just bought a kit for a YZ10 restore.

The front shock tower looks like the fibrelyte front tower for the YZ10 (take a look at their website), looks too small to be a rear tower.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

You have the essentials of a nice ride! I think this will look great with a little work.

The hardware looks non-Yokomo with standard hex screws etc...the standard yokomo hardware is rubbish so I would stick with the screw kit you've got installed.

The only other screws which are more specific are on the underside. The "gold" one are rc10 gold pan.

HS-YZ250 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:I don't know much about Yokomos, being a Kyosho fanatic--but that looks like a sweet chassis with a lot of high-end goodies. Love all the carbon fiber & alloy parts! 8)
Eventually, I'll get back to my Rocky project, and you'll have something of mine to geek out on.

crusaderlyf wrote:Pavidis version with fiberlyte parts,you puted two rear shock towers on it.not good idea

It came this way. You sure the front shock tower is a rear? Might explain why the suspension bound up with the shocks installed.

So my first question, if anyone can answer it, is if the hardware (screws and nuts) are Yokomo hardware, or aftermarket. If Yokomo, does newer Yokomo hardware match? Going to need to pick up a few more as I get to working on things.

Next, I'd like to know if Fiber-lyte makes an upper brace to match the Pavidis lower chassis plate, since there are a few empty holes between the two.

Also realized I'm going to need to find a front bumper.

Thanks!

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Thanks for the input so far. Looks like I'll be making a small stimulus to the UK economy, soon.

First thing I want to get are a new upper deck and left side battery hold retainer from Fiber Lyte. I'm pretty sure I know the parts I need, but hope someone can confirm I'm looking at the right parts.

This upper deck "Top Deck and Brace"

And this retainer "YZ10 06"

Can anyone with a Pavidis chassis confirm this for me? I'm Reasonably sure this is the top deck I need since its the only one with two of the central holes in the right orientation to match the Pavidis chassis. Mine came with the "YZ10 03" upper brace in the second image, but only one hole lined up. It also came with the "YZ10 04" and "YZ10 05" front and rear shock towers vs the correct towers in the first image, but I'm not terribly concerned with that right now.

On another note, it looks like my motor mount is a little butchered/worn and was wondering if the piece from the YZ 870C will fit, as I've seen a couple of 870C options on eBay. Was considering an aluminum aftermarket piece.

Thanks!
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

The upper deck mounting are different for the YZ 10 and later Pavidis hence they don't line up. The fibrelyte parts are the correct parts for the Pavidis, the carbon is not an exact match to the Yokomo carbon but the quality is excellent. I think you can also get the towers made in 3mm if you intent to run her.

The 870c has exactly the same motor mount as all the Yokomo's up to the MX 4.
:shock:

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Got a little work done on my YZ, along with some new parts in.

I got the differentials out because they felt a little gritty. Opened them up and found that while there was a visible line around the diff rings, they didn't feel bad, so put them back together following the manual. They felt smoother, though the front still had a little "catch". I think the previous owner tightened them down too much. Going to start watching for diff rings, but am wondering if I can get a set wire edm'd at work.

A couple of the differential bearings can go, and it looks like I can get the size I need through US sources.

Thanks for the tip on the Associated screws. Turns out they still sell the gold ones, so I have a new set. They also sell the lower shock ends, so I can replace the bent up ones that are on here. Also grabbed a high downforce wing and wing buttons. Need to find something to use as wing wire.

Found the locale Ace Hardware has stainless button head metric screws that looks exactly the same as the hardware the previous owner put in, so I have a source for extras if I need.

Going to order the FiberLyte upper deck this week and going to get another spacer for the upper and lower plates machined. Have a new motor mount coming in from eBay that I paid too much for, but oh well! It'll come with shock spring spacers that were missing on mine.

The aluminum center drive pinion has a lot of wear on it, but I'm going to get the rest of it together before i figure out what to do about that, I think.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Great! Get some pics up when you can!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

diff rings are pretty hard, so be sure you get material that is hardened if you are making your own. I know the old 870c rings are the same as a rc10 6 gear, so there might be a substitute out there for you.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Finally made some progress with my YZ and have some pictures.

Here's how it sits right now with new Fibre Lyte parts to match the Pavidis style pan, proper pink dish style wheels (with extra clack set), and a molded rear wing.

Here's the bulkhead that came with the car that was drilled up pretty bad

The current issue I'm trying to solve is the lower shock ends. I replaced the originals because they were mangled and I had to pry them out of the suspension arms. I used Associated shock ends because they looked the same. The width is right fir the arms, but the 3mm bolts don't pass through the balls. Wondering if i can just replace the balls with new yokomos, or if I can use a yokomo ends.

After this I need to source a body and decide what kind of running gear to use; vintage brushed or modern brushless.

Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Oh, this is pretty. I want to get another YZ10 as a runner, but my fear is that after I clean/fix it, I won't want to run it, and then I'll get another one, and another one, and the cycle repeats forever... ;)