- A comprehensive history of my runner '10 -

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: - A comprehensive history of my runner '10 -

Post by Asso_man! »

Back at work after those darn 6 hours! I made some last minutes changes on the rear hubs: using only unflanged bearings and more washers permitted to tighten the rear wheels really hard without binding.

First of all let me list the 9 cars participating:
- truck: 1 XXX and 1 T4
- 4wd: 1 Kyosho ZX-5 and 2 Tamiya Durga
- 2wd: 3 B4 and my modified '10

The race was divided in 2 three hour parts. During the first three hours, the car was way too nervous because of the powerful Mamba 4600 and a tightened slipper. The '10 was very touchy and we really had to fight to keep the front of the car on the track. Anyway, we did quite well, fighting really HARD with those 2 Tamiya Durgas (the Team that won last year). Before midday break and a nice barbecue in the sun, we were in third position, in the same lap as a Durga, the other Durga being first with 14 laps ahead of the second. We only had 2 problems: a broken rear arm mount (quickly replaced) and a lost pin in a driveshaft 20 seconds after midday break, lucky us!

I had to replace some lost screws here and there, changed the slipper set-up and opted for Schumacher Stagger tires on the front. The throttle exponential was reduced and full throttle too (80%). The car was now superbly dialed and we could drive it easily, only "problem" was the understeer, but this is compared to a B4 that I'm more used to run with... Anyway, we hooked the second car and took a few lasp off of her each our, the second place was ours and we were almost praying for the other Durga to have some technical problems. And it finally arrived, they firstly broke a rear hub endball and then lost the servo-saver screw, that was enough for us to manage to take back the few laps that were separating them from us. We finished in first position, only 2 laps ahead of the second car :shock: In fact the suspense was total until the end, because we were no more able to see the results in the last 2 hours...

In the end our car made 564 laps and 118 km (73.3 miles) :shock: :mrgreen:

I really want to thank a bunches aeiou for his very nice idea to use B4 wheels and his support while trying to make the mod for myself, you're a part of our victory mate :wink:

all pictures can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Replay.FCM/TopRacingClub6H2262008
and here: http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/boudddha/AYK%20Boxer/

Some chosen pictures:

The car after 6 hours:

A very useful fan :lol:

My buddies and I (with the trophy and the car):

Our pit in the back:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Great job David! How long did a battery charge last and did you count by chance how many times you had to stop? Once again that's a great result and a really great job you did on the car. I've enjoyed the the frequent updates and pictures you have produced a long the way. Super!
Al

This is all very interesting!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

well, on average (we only used LiPo batteries: 3600, 4800 and 5400) 20 minutes! I don't know how many times we had to stop, but I would say something like 6hours/20min, that is 18 :) Thanks for your kind comments Al! At least that (already) makes one member happy :wink:

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

David,
I'm sure I'm just the first but not the last. It's also nice to put a face to the man "ASSO_MAN!" this was a reaslly great peoject I wonder what's in store for us in the future and is there a little Asso_manII yet, hope things are going well in that endeavor.
Al

This is all very interesting!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

congrats on the win, david!!!! :D

so now that you've had a bunch of track time with the rear suspension, do you feel it's better than the stock setup? i know everyone drives different, and likes a different kind of feel. just wondering what your thoughts are on it.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Woot-woot! you have to send the story to some magazines and the asso-site dude!

Congrats to you and your buddies!

Il ike the scratch-n-bleed paintjob by the way

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Someone needs a comb! :lol: Just kidding David. Great news on the win. Congrats. Too bad you won't be able to make it on the Vintage Nats.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

David,
Congrats on the race action. Been watching too thru the updates. Want to build up a runner and have been watching to see how it all worked out for you. Your placement kinda tells it all how it worked :mrgreen: ...Congrats again and keep us posted on what else you accomplish with this amazing runner.
Thanx
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I must say I was pretty proud of winning this race with a 17 years old car which, on top, is of course my all time favorite r/c car! The title goes to the community here too, without you guys, we would probably not have made it so good! Special thanks to aeiou again!
a01butal wrote:David,
I'm sure I'm just the first but not the last. It's also nice to put a face to the man "ASSO_MAN!" this was a reaslly great peoject I wonder what's in store for us in the future and is there a little Asso_manII yet, hope things are going well in that endeavor.
Al
Little Asso-man! is no more considered as an endeavor, the little boy will be breathing air within 3 weeks or so :D and his room is still filled with tons of parts :mrgreen: Thanks Al!!!!!!!

scr8p wrote:congrats on the win, david!!!! :D

so now that you've had a bunch of track time with the rear suspension, do you feel it's better than the stock setup? i know everyone drives different, and likes a different kind of feel. just wondering what your thoughts are on it.
Thanks Jason, honestly the car was doing superbly, I think it is a lot more stable in the straight lines and corners and it jumps really awesome (see last picture), the only drawback compared to a modern B4 is the understeering, but it was not such a big deal on our grass track with plenty of grip. I was also afraid of breaking a dogbone because the RPM arms twist really easily (which is good from a breakage/shock absorbing point of view) and allow the dogbones to touch the outdrives on big shocks. After 6 hours, there were some scars on the bones, but nothing broke. I think that it could be fixed with using the RC10 GT RPM rear hubs and a different anchorage of the rear turnbuckles on the shock tower. I don't want to race my B4 anymore :!: I must also say that the Mamba brushless set-up is really awesome and so cheap compared to the Novak/LRP ones. They are legal in Europe (EFRA), but not in the US (ROAR) unfortunately...
mrlexan wrote:Someone needs a comb! :lol: Just kidding David. Great news on the win. Congrats. Too bad you won't be able to make it on the Vintage Nats.
Yeah, I had to wake up very early to prepare the race and my tools and didn't had a second to dry my hair before the race :D at the least the body of the car went through a comb :wink:

siebenelch
Approved Member

Post by siebenelch »

Great to see another real runner there!

Good result!

My next buggy-meeting is next weekend for my RC10.

I will drive my Yokomo SPORT at the 4WD-class- We will se.

For sure, the old-technology needs more wrenching and the handling is much harder, than modern cars. But for my opinion it´s fast enough to get a good result.

Congrats!

Michael

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Thanks Michael, actually we didn't need to wrench that much during the midday break and the car was consistent all day long. It's a little twitchy to drive, but sooooo much more fun to drive than a modern car. And after a few laps, you get used to it and you can adapt your driving skills pretty fast! This is just the proof that a fine tuned old school car with modern electronics is as reliable as the new ones.

In fact, the real progress is to be found particularly in the electronics: brushless motors, new batteries (lipo) and spektrum technology.

Can't wait to run it again :mrgreen:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Asso_man! wrote:
In fact, the real progress is to be found particularly in the electronics: brushless motors, new batteries (lipo) and spektrum technology.
Soon I'll be at 1.5/3 : a speed passion brushless system in the mail and Ni-MH since the end of last year. The spektrum radio will have to wait a little longer :|
we had the exact same concept of endurance race way back in BVK Heverlee:, only the second 3 hours were run in the dark.
What a hell it was with technigolds and 12000mah Ni-cad's feeding not only the moter, receiver and servo, but the lighting too :!:
Imagine: the same race but 5 times the amount of battery switches :o

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Asso_man! wrote: I must also say that the Mamba brushless set-up is really awesome and so cheap compared to the Novak/LRP ones. They are legal in Europe (EFRA), but not in the US (ROAR) unfortunately...
I have 2 different Novaks Brushless systems and the same Mamba (4600). I :!: LOVE :!: my Mamba system. I use it in my 4wd mod car (xx4) and it is plenty powerful for me.

As a side note, I read that the Mamba system will be roar legal in Modified this year (using a Mamba or any other approved motor). Checking into this for the Nationals held here in Cali this year!! 8)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Asso_man! wrote:
Little Asso-man! is no more considered as an endeavor, the little boy will be breathing air within 3 weeks or so :D and his room is still filled with tons of parts :mrgreen: Thanks Al!!!!!!!
Aaaahhhh! you allready stocked his room with toys :mrgreen:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!