R/C History

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

R/C History

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well, I swore I wouldn’t start a new off topic subject tonight, but here I am… I’ve written numerous emails to editors of various r/c mags over the past 5 years asking them to please write a definitive book about the origin/history of r/c. I mean big thick hardback, lots of pics, quotes, names and brand names. Nothing yet! I mean they’re writers and they know r/c! Throw in a helluva lot of research and you got yourself a one of a kind book. I mean there’s a book out there for every other thing under the sun, why not r/c?? There are a few books out there that cover a few aspects, but not one definitive book. I don’t have the skill or patience for such a project, but there are people that do. And don’t say “No one would buy it.” because there are more books than people in the world(or so it seems)and very few people have a library in their home…so the fact that very few copies would sell is pointless. Anyone with me here?

p.s. Not to mention Modern Marvels(who I’ve written to as well)has yet to do an episode on radio control. :(
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Re: R/C History

Post by Y'ernat Al »

So the laundry is folded I take it?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ymr.no%2Fhistorie.htm

This is the cliffs notes on the book you speak of. I wish the whole thing wasn't one giant page so the google translator could get through to the end easier.
- Brian -

My Gallery

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I agree there should be a book, I mean they even have books on barbies, etc. When I lived in Europe (where I am originally from) you could buy many good detailed books, that covered any type of r/c. If you wanted something on 1:8 buggies, you could get it. The publisher would update the books, every 5 years, yet they would not take material out, rather add to it. Heck I could find R/C Books at our libraries. I think it is sad, because so many cool cars etc. are vaguely covered anywhere. I am a member of a European forum, where I try to post as much information on 1:10 & 1:12 Pan cars as possible - well because for one - they care about the history of the sport and its evolution. I think that a book covering the history would be great, but I think it would be huge in size. I think that if it were broken up into volumes, such as the beginning (radios, cars, technology). Then after the explosion it should branch out, into volumes covering on-road, off-road, trucks, "other". I can see where it would be hard, but in the end it is possible. Tamiya has their "complete" collection, of which I heard it took some time to complete, but if one magazine where to ask the industry for a hand, I am sure they would get it. But then again I am not the Subject Matter Expert. But you can bet I would buy any decent quality book related to R/C.

My .1 cents

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Y'ernat Al wrote:So the laundry is folded I take it?
I present my wife and daughter…the laundry is never all folded… :roll:

More importantly though(before jacking my own thread :lol: …wait, don’t make another joke…focus)it would be an incredibly large book as drbelleville stated. That’s what would make it awesome(I’m not even sure he’s a real Dr.).
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice, Doug Carter's JRX2 made it into a Norwegian website :P

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

Yeah and you could put wheels on each corner and have a micro receiver and servo in the spine and drive it around. Imagine, a book about RC cars that is an RC car! Then you could go on the Regis show and talk about and show him how it works. (Someone has watched way too much Seinfeld :roll: .)

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Wikipedia has a section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-controlled_car

Not great right now, but if enough people add text and photos it could be really good.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Nice, Doug Carter's JRX2 made it into a Norwegian website :P
Wow, too funny. To the far reaches of the globe...

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

In 1898 at an exhibition at Madison Square Garden Nikola Tesla demonstrated a small boat which could apparently obey commands from the audience but was in fact controlled by Tesla interpreting the verbal requests and sending appropriate frequencies to tuned circuits in the boat.[1] He was granted a US patent on this invention on November 8, 1898 :idea: