my Edinger(?) Resto

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

my Edinger(?) Resto

Post by Jeep-Power »

I bought this car used, back in highschool, about 1987. I was the third owner (bought it off a fellow 4H R/C Car Club member).

I got it with a home-made stainless steel flat pan chassis that flexed like mad-- I also got a pile of parts with it, including the gold pan chassis.

Coming from a Tamiya Wild One, this was quite an upgrade-- metal & plastic parts that didn't (easily) break, woohoo!

I raced it at The Hobby Depot, in Raritan, NJ. I rarely made the B main, but that was OK-- I was a highschool kid on a shoestring budget. I raced it the way it is here-- mechanical speed control & all. The tire tracks on the roof are from one of the races there.

After The Hobby Depot closed, I raced with the club (Somerset County, NJ 4H RC CAr Club) , but mostly the car saw 'bashing' duty. I was constantly tuning, changing, & rebuilding the thing, much to my parents' chagrin. This car & skateboarding took up most of my free time (and some of the time I was supposed to be studying).

Upon finding this forum/group, it finally became clear to me why my RC-10 always seemed so much different than the others I saw around-- they had different shocks, suspension parts, etc. I was constantly looking for deals on the 'upgraded' stuff. The 'long' front arms were the first to be had. Better shock gaskets were welcome too, as well as those bottom spring retainers that didn't require removing the rod end. Sometime in my junior year I was able to finally save up enough $$ ($75!) to buy an ESC-- an early Tekin.

I know this Edinger is far from the beauty queens I see here. This is a restoration. I picked through all my parts bins, took parts off of retrofits & such, and put them all back together. it was amazing to me that when I needed some of those particular size/style screws that the manual specifies, they were hiding somewhere in the collection. My aim with this car is to use as many/much of the original parts, from my original car, as I can. It may not look pretty, but (ideally) all the correct parts are there. 8)

The original pan was in sad shape-- I sold it a while ago, for less than $1, on ebay.

The body, front shock tower, shocks, rims, transmission, dogbones, rear axle stubs, rear bulkhead, most of the MSC, some of the ballcups & threaded rod, and almost all of the screws are (mostly) original. The motor is a RacePrep that I bought back-in-the-day. Not sure if I got it from The Hobby Depot (They required us to buy THEIR stock motors, which I think was standard procedure)-- but pretty sure it is from there.

The front shock tower got painted black somewhere along the way-- I didn't go crazy removing all the paint...

Rear end - I am still looking for a correct rear shock tower & a clean set of battery cups.
The motor cover isn't the clear one I had-- I had this one NIP & figured it will do.

As can be seen, all the shock parts were dyed black, somewhere along the way-

I have a second pan that I drilled, but I feel this current pan does the model justice-- it is more how it was when I first started racing it. I have the original noseplate... but it is pretty beat up. I am going to put it on, keeping to the spirit of this build.

The tires-- well, the fronts *might* be original, but I don't think so. The rears are something I had in the parts bin. Again, this is how I might have raced it BITD.

HUGE Thanks to all of you on this board for opening my eyes to the beauty & value of these vintage RC-10's. Every time I look at this car (it currently sits on my dresser) I am instantly flashed back to the thousands of times I shared with it. It takes my breath away. :D
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: my Edinger Resto

Post by Ruffy »

Awesome car you have here Jeep-Power, I also like the history you have behind it.

Congratulations!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I'm a fan of the Gotcha sponsorship! Decals taken right off the tags that came on the neon pink and blue pair of trunks right? Founded here in So Cal by South African Michael Thompson..there's some surf trivia for you.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Yeah, but do you know who Gotcha is now?

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

- Brian -

My Gallery

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

No Fear.

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

well, I am a lucky guy. Here's another one I just got back together. A VERY generous buddy of mine (he has given me TONS of odds & ends over the years- thank you, Damon!) gave this to me. It required a little cleanup (shocks & rims were painted white & green), but it seems to be an early Cadillac (??). He upgraded the upper links (to the later adjustable double-thread type) somewhere along the way, as well as most of the ball cups. The rear tires are mint-- have never been run.

Ideally it needs a steering bellcrank (anyone?).

I added the clear gear cover, NIP front arms, NIP caster blocks, & late-design shock seals (they are all I had)
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10