Modernized NIX 91 Stealth Car

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aeiou
Approved Member

Re: Modernized NIX 91 Stealth Car

Post by aeiou »

Love it!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Niki got his standard 91 working well, so your WOIN 91 will be even better once you work out all the bugs, and get to tweak in peace! :lol:

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Of course, I will get it sorted out.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Seabass: well done. Love this development!!!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I got the car out on the track again today and was able to do some more testing. I changed the rear shock pistons to 1.5 and ran 30wt oil in the rear. It ended up being way to stiff. Before I was able to make the change I ended up breaking another shock tower. I ran home quick and machined one more out 3mm material and ran back to the track.

As I was installing the shock tower I noticed the left rear arm was hanging up and travel was restricted. I started to investigate the issue and found the B5 CVD was slightly binding in the outdrive. I tried everything I could to free up the CVD and got no where. I ended up splitting the outdrive without a replacement. After making another drive back to the house I returned, but ran out of time to make the change to the rear shocks.

I fixed my steering travel issue and the car has tons of steering. In fact I had to reduce the EPA on the steering since the car was just too responsive. The rear end was extremely loose which is also indicative of the rear shocks not being right. I am going to drop the oil weight to 27.5 and give another go. I have a feeling it will stiff be a little too stiff. Only one way to find out though.

My biggest hurdle will be getting the rear to stay planted while not allowing the car to bottom out on the jumps. Our track is extremely rough and there are huge potholes everywhere. I could not keep the car going in a straight line since every time a tire hit a hole, the car would be unpredictable.

Our track conditions is making things a bit tough in getting this car figured out. As long as I can stop breaking parts, I will have the ability to tune VS replacing parts. Good news, the 3mm tower held and I was able to run a full pack through the car without a failure. I think the 3mm tower is going to be the ticket.

I am going to put up a short video together of some of the testing as well.

Jake

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

super interesting stuff! RC stuff from a stellar level ! please DO send video btw 8)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Nice to read the track and testing reports. When I first saw the pictures, the thing that stroke me immediately was precisely the design of the rear shock tower. I don't think you should go for some thicker material, these two thin protruding lags where you attach the shocks are not supported by anything. What about adding a brace there in the design and maybe a bit more meat underneath the shoulders?

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I made the two ears of the rear tower smaller to allow the big bores to move freely without hitting the tower. I am trying the 3mm tower and if I have a failure I will machine a new tower with thicker ears and then spacer the top of the shocks to clear the tower.

Jake

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

to be fair, that track does beat the cars up pretty good. lord knows mine suffered, even if I am a horrible driver.

maybe when this is done, you could have a NIX15 kit for the woin version of the car. or at least a parts list to get close to it.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

how much rear toe and anti squat does it have? I have a feeling based on the twitchiness you mention, this is where you should focus

which tower are you breaking, rear?, due to rollover or bottoming? I see now, yeah, definitely a weakness due to cross section.

maybe need to focus on changing the front to affect rear grip, or battery location?

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

The car is running 3 degree anti squat, 3 degree of toe. I need to order the set of Niki's new rear arm mounts so I can start playing with that as well.

The track conditions really are not helping me much to get a good solid baseline since it is in such poor condition. The track needs a torrential dour pour to add moisture to the surface. Being the track is indoor and the owners does absolutely no track maintenance, it ends up torn to shreds.

I would do it myself but I just don't have the time to go there to fix all the giant potholes in the driving lane. In the video you can see the straight has a polished surface where no one drives, then the entire actual race line is torn to shreds.

[youtube]FNl5UFNnWP8[/youtube]

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

:shock: nice camera footage

:cry: the track...why

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I would still kill to have a track like that! :|

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

very impressive jake. it takes the jumps like a champ and corner speed was like woah! i wonder what the results be like with a wetter clay track?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

slotcarrod wrote:I would still kill to have a track like that! :|
I was going to say... it doesn't look bad to me :lol:

We need a local indoor off road track