Blackfoot project

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

Blackfoot project

Post by aconsola »

We took the kids to a local car show/swap meet this past weekend. Tried to get the wife to buy a 1:1 project car but didn't quite convince her. One of the fleamarket vendors had a very dirty blackfoot for sale. I picked it up to check it over and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
I took it home and sterted to clean it up. Once I got it torn down it was obvious that despite the grime it was used very little. The transmission was built incorrectly(one of the cross pipes was loose in the case jamming the diff. Also one of the wires on the MSC was soldered incorrectly and had poped clean off.
A few hours of work with denatured alcohol for the metal and simple green for the plastic and here it is.(the pics are proof that having a nice camera doesn't make you a photographer :? someday I'll figure it out)
Completely stock except I replaced the plastic bushings with ball bearings. I took it for a spin around the basement and everything works.
I actually planned to swipe the wheels for a JG monster truck conversion kit project and was considering parting out the rest, but it seems too nice to do that.
The only thing missing is the rear window. It even came with a timer charger, battery and full Futaba radio gear.
Attachments
fleamarketblackfoot17.jpg
fleamarketblackfoot10.jpg
fleamarketblackfoot6.jpg

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Blackfoot project

Post by shodog »

Wow, that looks super nice. Are you going to pimp it out?

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Good deal- it cleaned up nice. I just picked up a big lot of misc parts- I'll be posting up some odd shocks & bits in the next couple days (both BST and some just to get some IDs). I'm pretty sure there was a Blackfoot servo cover (that black box on top of the frame) and a rear window. Shoot me your address and I'll send them to you.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

Nice Blackfoot!

I stumbled across one when a local hobby shop let me go through a workbench of endless model projects stashed under a workbench. I brought it out up to the counter and the guy says "Oh you found the Blackfoot".

He wanted $150 cash but I could already tell some of the parts/screws were missing, including the instructions. I got him down to $70. Someday I hope to track down what I am missing and put it together.

I will say that box is bigger than I recall as a kid. Hard to hide from the wifey too.

Awesome find/cleanup job.

pituk
Approved Member

Post by pituk »

Great find , doesn't look to have been used very much. I also agree it's to nice to part out.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Very nice. I have two runners and probably enough parts to build two more. If you need any parts I may have some you could use.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Anthony brought the Blackfoot to the vintage nationals and put a price on it that I couldn't refuse. I've always been a big fan of the Blackfoot and really wanted one as a kid. I have watched a few on eBay, but it always seems like they need something or other and I didn't really want to make a whole project of it. This truck really is way too nice to do anything to. It's in pretty much mint condition and he did a heck of a job cleaning it up, it looks almost brand new, almost like it was a display model at a hobby shop or something. The only flaws I can find are a few minor scratches on the roof and a couple wrinkles in the decals. I took it for a spin in the lot beside my apartment this afternoon. It ran very good. I was surprised at how smooth the old 3 step mechanical speed control was. The resistor warmed up a bit, but didn't get hot. After a few hot laps around the lot, I ran it up and down the street a few times, brought it inside and dusted it off again. It will look nice sitting beside my Lunchbox and it will be fun to take out for a walk around the block now and then. It's no race truck, but it is a lot of fun to drive. I'm glad I finally have one, and it's a very nice unmolested example. Thanks Anthony!
Attachments
Blackfoot.jpg
Blackfoot-4.jpg
Blackfoot-5.jpg

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

That looks way cool! I sold mine without running it but I did like it. How in the heck do you take action shots while you're driving? I never have mastered that one!
Gary

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RedScampi wrote: How in the heck do you take action shots while you're driving? I never have mastered that one!
controller in left hand, left thumb on the wheel, left finger on the trigger. easy as pie. :)

looks great scott. i really hope tamiya comes back out with it. hell, they should be able to do the mud blaster no problem.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

RedScampi wrote:That looks way cool! I sold mine without running it but I did like it. How in the heck do you take action shots while you're driving? I never have mastered that one!
Yea thanks I love it :lol: I love these I was thinking of selling it but after looking at yours I think I will just find the few parts it needs. that truck is sharp!!
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Glad you gave it some time in the dirt instead of just putting it on the shelf.
Enjoy!

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Nice blackfoot !! The blackfoot and mudblaster are some of my favorites. Both of mine are resto's .
Attachments
tamiya 001.jpg
tamiya 002.jpg

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

I love all of the above pictures. The Blackfoot was a car I really wanted when I was little. My Fox was great but at the time I used to watch the old American Monster Truck shows on TV which made me pine after a Blackfoot bigtime!

Anyway, I have recently bought one NIB and have embarked upon the build, pictures of which I will be posting in due course. I've always thought that these trucks should be pretty bling so I'm having the plastic parts chrome plated. I have also bought gold anodized metal parts to replace the standard metal parts.....can't wait to get building....

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

[email protected] wrote:Very nice. I have two runners and probably enough parts to build two more. If you need any parts I may have some you could use.
pm sent juicy!