looking for a modern steering fix

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Cronus
Approved Member

looking for a modern steering fix

Post by Cronus »

I got an A chassis RC10 as an xmas present, cleaned it up, got some new wheels and tires for it then promptly crashed it. Which was awesome.

Problem is I broke the bell crank. Since I'm sure this is the first in a long line of busted parts I'll be replacing I was wanting to find out if there is any kind of modern replacement for the bell crank.

If not I'll be fabbing something up, but for now I'd like to find something that's more or less considered off the shelf.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've done some searching and couldn't find a solid answer.

Synergy
Approved Member

Re: New guy with a question

Post by Synergy »

Welcome to the forum, I'm not sure but if you have a look through this thread there might be some ideas for you:-

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10403
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

jwscab

Re: New guy with a question

Post by jwscab »

here is a thread more dedicated to your topic, although be sure to go through that first link Synergy gave you, it shows how to modernize the car to use more commonly available parts for the rest of the car.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16582&hilit=traxxas

throwing out a suggestion here, (and not intending to be a jerk, please take no offense), but a more specific subject line would help to search this thread in the future, this comes up occasionally and I don't think there is a good solid thread about this. changing you subject like to something like 'modern steering fix' or something like that would be helpful moving forward.

glad to see you joined, enjoy the forums, but be careful. this place seems to become a source of addiction to the hobby :mrgreen:

Cronus
Approved Member

Re: looking for a modern steering fix

Post by Cronus »

Awesome. Thank you for the input. I went ahead and changed the thread title as well.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The worlds steering can be found often enough on the bay, why not use it? -Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

total cost of the traxxas stuff wouldn't be able to buy part of one of the worlds arms at the normal going rate. the plastic parts are around 3-5 bucks. tubing, another couple. You would use bearings in either case, but this setup uses 3/16 x 5/16 bearings which most have floating around from all the old gold tub jelly bean wheels.

so it's simply a matter of cost and availability. not that it happens often, but if you happen to break the plastic parts, they are probably hanging on the rack at most hobby shops.

Cronus
Approved Member

Post by Cronus »

jwscab wrote: if you happen to break the plastic parts, they are probably hanging on the rack at most hobby shops.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something that I can go to a hobby store locally and find hanging on a shelf. I really freaking hate waiting for parts that I've ordered online. The other thing I'm looking for is something that will require as little machine work as possible. Though I have access to things like a drill press, band saws, etc, it would be awesome to find something that would work without having to modify parts.

From the links I've decided I'm going to give these parts a shot:

Traxxas bellcrank set part number 2543
k&s 3/16" aluminum tube part number 5104
3/16" x 5/16" bearings

I'll report back with what I come up with.

Cronus
Approved Member

Post by Cronus »

Well I finally got around to getting parts and installing them. I'm happy to say that with about 5 minutes of work with a hand held drill the setup I listed fell right into place.

The only thing I had too was reem the aluminum shaft just a bit with a 3/16 drill bit. After that they slipped right onto the stock bellcrank screws. Everything elsewent right on without any modification or headache.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

awesome!