Leaking shocks – the fix?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johanp
Approved Member

Leaking shocks – the fix?

Post by Johanp »

My Jrx Pro has been sitting on the floor for a while now waiting for some final parts. Picked it up and had a look at it a couple of weeks ago. And found a puddle of shock oil under the front of the car.
I like to have oil in the shocks even if the cars are just sitting still. I guess it makes them feel more “ready to go”. :)
20220208_104342.jpg

I recall reading that someone used to put in an extra o-ring in the first gen Losi cartridges. I decided to see if I could do that as well.

First gen cartridges are not serviceable, however the second gen is. So I opened up a beat up second gen cartridge and took some measurements of the o-ring assuming it was the same dimension that the first gen.
I then found some Yeah racing o-rings that was as close in size as I could find in metric.
20220208_105023.jpg

In the first gen cartridges the 0-ring is spring loaded to act as a volume compensator when the shock is compressed. To be able to get the second o-ring in place you have to first press the original o-ring down until it compresses the spring (I used an old blunt flat blade screwdriver taking care not to damage the original o-ring), then hold it down using a second flat blade screwdriver from the opposite direction (see very descriptive picture below 😉 ).
20220204_105220_LI.jpg

Then you gently squeeze the o-ring into the cartridge and rotate it in place.
20220204_104850.jpg

Twin o-ring cartridge. Done!
20220208_110521.jpg

And it has now been a week of me compressing the front suspension a couple of times each day to see if there is still a leak. And there is not!